Giant Bomb Fan Club

3 minutes ago, Mafro said:

Makes stream-hopping almost pointless and it ruins raids .

Yeah, it's really ruined the general Twitch experience.

fl0m, an old-school CS streamer, has been pretty candid about what Twitch staff have told him - supposedly not enough channel owners were choosing to run mid-roll ads, and Twitch isn't generally making enough money for Amazon, hence the automatic pre-roll and mid-roll push you're seeing now.

On 30/10/2020 at 13:08, HarryBizzle said:

That table makes me think of GOTY. Is Abby leaving before then?

I like Abby but she's awful on GOTY. So was Dan.

She exits the building at the end of this month so doubt she’ll be there. Presume that GOTY will all be over video calls anyway, so they can probably record a bit later than normal. Might not sound quite as jaded without half the office travelling across the US just to sit in a room and argue for three or four days.

I had to turn beastcast off today. Abby says “I think” or “like” so many times in such quick succession that I couldn’t bear it. Maybe knowing she’s going has reduced my tolerance for it. 

30 minutes ago, Moz said:

I had to turn beastcast off today. Abby says “I think” or “like” so many times in such quick succession that I couldn’t bear it. Maybe knowing she’s going has reduced my tolerance for it. 

She’s always terrible for this and once you notice that’s it. Occasionally your brain will sort of block it out or you won’t care but they’re always there and once you hear them again you’re done. 

18 minutes ago, ThePixelbarks said:

First time I've popped in to this thread in a while. Abby is/has gone? Does that mean we can have the old style GOTY discussions back. I want the salt to flow again.

I think that even though Abby clearly doesn't hang in the GOTY discussions that she should get her props. 

I signed up to a free trial of Premium for yesterday’s hotspot and today they’ve put it out for free on the main feed. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed it, though. Enough to make me consider signing up to Premium just for the Hotspot. Ditch Alex and get Bakalar in and it’d be a no brainer. 

10 minutes ago, Pockets said:

What’s the concept of these Hot Spot podcasts because it appears to just be ‘remember what the bombcast was like before we made it shit?’

I'm glad someone dared to ask lol. I listened to the first half of the free one today. And yeah it was really good. Classic bombcast quality. Jeff and Vinny are of course great together and a joy to listen to. Nobody interrupting, genuinely informative and funny instead of gringe. Why isn't this the default bombcast instead of hiding it behind a paywall.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm glad someone dared to ask lol. I listened to the first half of the free one today. And yeah it was really good. Classic bombcast quality. Jeff and Vinny are of course great together and a joy to listen to. Nobody interrupting, genuinely informative and funny instead of gringe. Why isn't this the default bombcast instead of hiding it behind a paywall.

Add Bakalar and you’ve got a new core crew. Get rid of the rest, or leave them doing their background stuff if necessary, and go back to one combined pod a week with those five. (I know some have issues with Alex and I get it but I don’t mind him. He’s a little try hard at times but likeable). 

7 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Add Bakalar and you’ve got a new core crew. Get rid of the rest, or leave them doing their background stuff if necessary, and go back to one combined pod a week with those five. (I know some have issues with Alex and I get it but I don’t mind him. He’s a little try hard at times but likeable). 

100% agree with this 

I really enjoy Alex's input on podcasts. Yeah he can get a bit OTT/ Shouty but I like the guy. Adding Backalar would be fantastic though. I'd listen to these guys reading out the phone book if they recorded it. :coffee:

I dislike Alex with the intensity that the rest of you reserve for Ben. He's loud, obnoxious, unfunny, and seems to think that steadily increasing volume and exaggerating enunciation will magically make a banal point more insightful.

And he's the absolute worst offender when it comes to "I don't think this will hang, but I wanted it to get its props" filibustering in GOTY!

(Although I fully agree the Hotspot feels like the Bombcast of yore and should replace the Bombcast of shite)

I still can’t quite figure out why they let Brad play the games for quick looks. He clearly can’t multitask and quite possibly doesn’t understand how video games work. He also refuses to take direction, preferring to “try something real quick” despite people telling him it won’t work.

Watching him try to save roughly 0.5 seconds in the astro quick run and instead taking like 30 seconds longer, was really quite something.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I still can’t quite figure out why they let Brad play the games for quick looks. He clearly can’t multitask and quite possibly doesn’t understand how video games work. He also refuses to take direction, preferring to “try something real quick” despite people telling him it won’t work.

Watching him try to save roughly 0.5 seconds in the astro quick run and instead taking like 30 seconds longer, was really quite something.

I have no idea how a videogame reviewer can be so obviously bad at videogames. It's like someone from Empire watching a movie while facing the wrong way round in the cinema.

I've read loads of professional reviews of movies or TV episodes where the reviewer either doesn't understand something that was blatantly obvious, or gets the parts of the plot they're talking about wrong. Why would games be different?

Having said that, yeah. It's frustrating as hell watching him. I wouldn't be any better, mind you (probably a good thing that's not my job!)

• 2 weeks later...

Having just finished TLOU2, I’m currently listening to the Giant Bomb spoilercast. Oh my god.. Abby is soooo annoying. Even more so than usual. Every 2 mins she talks over somebody and forever keeps bringing up pointless negative comments that really shouldn’t take away anybody’s enjoyment of the game.

7 minutes ago, Marvin Morris said:

Having just finished TLOU2, I’m currently listening to the Giant Bomb spoilercast. Oh my god.. Abby is soooo annoying. Even more so than usual. Every 2 mins she talks over somebody and forever keeps bringing up pointless negative comments that really shouldn’t take away anybody’s enjoyment of the game.

She’s gone now. She’s gone. We can be at peace again.