Jump to content

Giant Bomb Fan Club


Recommended Posts

Getting flashbacks!

 

That was the turning point for me with Giant Bomb, sadly. Remember listening to / watching that GOTY (was it 2017, 2018?) and having a moment thinking what the fuck am I doing with my life.

 

Haven't subscribed since :(

 

I've caught the odd video here and there when it's been recommended on YouTube but with Dan gone and Ben presumably still there nasaling and vocal frying his way through videos I just can't bring myself to even consider going back.

 

How is Giant Bomb doing these days anyway? I kinda got the feeling it'd probably fold in the near future but could be completely wrong there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isaac said:

 

Dream Daddy is a genuinely great dating sim full of heart that is full of nothing but respect for it's queer audience, and the fact you find that laughable says a lot more about you than it does about her.

 

The game isn't even really about dads dating dads - it's probably the best depiction father-daughter relationship ever in a game.

 

Its spot on the list was well deserved.

 

And it's that sort of stuff I liked Abby bringing to the group

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

And it's that sort of stuff I liked Abby bringing to the group

Totally agree with this. A different insight from the usual white male middle-aged nerd that all like the same stuff as we do. Having said that, like her use of like, could like, still like, be annoying like like like. I think if she dialed down the interrupting and the like like a bit, she would be perfect. 

 

Likewise, I believe if Ben wasn't trying SO HARD all the time to be funny like Jeff, and was more himself and serious, he wouldn't annoy so many people. Still a bad hire because he's terrible at his job - talking about video games in an entertaining manner - but he wouldn't be so actively annoying to so many. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Abby for the most part. She could be a bit much when she'd start campaigning for a game, but that's true of anyone.* Like Dan, Drew and Austin, she brought a lot to the team because they have a more going on in their lives than just Giant Bomb and video games.

 

She's got great chemistry with Vinny and Bakalar and them being alone with the personality vacuum that is Alex Navaro is going to make the Beastcast a much less interesting podcast.

 

 

 

 

*Brad campaigning for Destiny is probably one of the worst bits of podcasting I've ever heard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

She's got great chemistry with Vinny and Bakalar and them being alone with the personality vacuum that is Alex Navaro is going to make the Beastcast a much less interesting podcast

Nah man, as long as papa Vinny is there it'll be fine. Him and Bakalar are hilarious together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm sure it will be fine, but I think she definitely makes it better. I suppose they can now get someone from the West Coast to fill in but that podcast has got big problems of it's own.

Best case scenario: Jeff joins the Beastcast. The only thing as entertaining as Vinny and Jeff, is Jeff and Jeff. Them three all together should be great!

 

Jeffcast!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PK said:

I don't think I've ever seen the two Jeffs together on any GB content. Has it just been random podcast episodes?

I recall them being in the same video during E3 ages ago and their respective sense of humor complimenting each other exactly like you'd expect. And iirc they called him up a few times during the Beastcast for a professional opinion on something or other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PK said:

I don't think I've ever seen the two Jeffs together on any GB content. Has it just been random podcast episodes?

 

Yeah. It's ok. I get people love them both (as do I) but clearly they don't actually know each other very well and there's not much chemistry between the two. I don't think you've missed much. They were both on the beastcast relatively recently.

 

edit: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/episode-274/2970-20618

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HarryBizzle said:

 

Yeah. It's ok. I get people love them both (as do I) but clearly they don't actually know each other very well and there's not much chemistry between the two. I don't think you've missed much. They were both on the beastcast relatively recently.

I haven't listened recently so I missed that - could be that I have a different impression as the E3 bits are a more informal and chaotic affair. If Jeff would guest star regularly, the problem you cite would resolve itself in no time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm clearly in the minority on this, but I think it's a huge shame she's left. In fact, I reckon that aside from Vinny, the best people always leave. Drew, Dan, Austin and Abby were all vastly more entertaining than Rorie, Brad, Ben, Alex or Jason. Or even Jeff who's too grumpy and disinterested these days. 

 

Jan's good though.

 

Then there's Patrick who was fine but couldn't carry anything on his own, and Ryan who obviously left for other, tragic reasons.

 

But a GB East crew made of Vinny, Abby, Austin, Dan, Drew and Alex would easily make me buy a lifetime sub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Scribblor said:

I'm clearly in the minority on this, but I think it's a huge shame she's left. In fact, I reckon that aside from Vinny, the best people always leave. Drew, Dan, Austin and Abby were all vastly more entertaining than Rorie, Brad, Ben, Alex or Jason. Or even Jeff who's too grumpy and disinterested these days. 

 

Jan's good though.

 

Then there's Patrick who was fine but couldn't carry anything on his own, and Ryan who obviously left for other, tragic reasons.

 

But a GB East crew made of Vinny, Abby, Austin, Dan, Drew and Alex would easily make me buy a lifetime sub.

 

Patrick always felt like a "bad" fit there. His big strength is investigative reporting rather than video/podcast personality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

No, Grumpy jeff is best Jeff

Yes! His rants are hilarious. Let me present two notable examples.

 

First, back in the Ryan era (perfect wingman for Jeff's rants btw) he told a story about 40 cents:

 

 

And I love this one. He's silent for a long time until he just can't keep it in any longer and angry rant pours out:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Scribblor said:

I'm clearly in the minority on this, but I think it's a huge shame she's left. In fact, I reckon that aside from Vinny, the best people always leave. Drew, Dan, Austin and Abby were all vastly more entertaining than Rorie, Brad, Ben, Alex or Jason. Or even Jeff who's too grumpy and disinterested these days. 


I agree entirely. As I mentioned, I think the more interesting people have more going on and end up leaving. 
 

I like Gerstmann but anyone trying to argue that grumpy Jeff clearly doesn’t remember how good happy, energetic Jeff was. When he was around Ryan, essentially. 

 

You still get glimpses of that, but he’s on such a dead podcast, personality wise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes! His rants are hilarious. Let me present two notable examples.

 

First, back in the Ryan era (perfect wingman for Jeff's rants btw) he told a story about 40 cents:

 

 

And I love this one. He's silent for a long time until he just can't keep it in any longer and angry rant pours out:

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Yeah, but he doesn't do that any more. He just sounds bored and says he doesn't like stuff.

You didn't watch the video? It's a rant about Link's Awakening on Switch. Fairly recent in the scheme of things. Or do you mean doesn't do that anymore since '2020 onwards'?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You didn't watch the video? It's a rant about Link's Awakening on Switch. Fairly recent in the scheme of things. Or do you mean doesn't do that anymore since '2020 onwards'?

Link's Awakening was announced almost two years ago. Yes, we're all rapidly approaching the end and time is basically meaningless now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.