IGNORED

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

8 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

The ResetEra thread about this news is brought to you by Opposite World.

That’s because any mild criticism over there is not acceptable; it’s praise 24/7 or nothing. 

Glad he’s gone but shocked he is. Things can’t be good over there if they’ve lost 30%~ of their team in the last year. 

The official line is he couldn't cope with being 'Internet famous'. 

Regardless, he should get off twitter. You have to have a certain type of personality to handle that platform but so many podcasters and similar seem to spend half their life on that shit show. 

But was he in a Twitter spat or something? I don’t follow that to know if there was controversy. I understand  that Abbie just wanted another job and never planned to stay that long. 

1 hour ago, Oz said:

But was he in a Twitter spat or something? I don’t follow that to know if there was controversy. I understand  that Abbie just wanted another job and never planned to stay that long. 

He seems to constantly be in twitter spats. 

The solution to that is probably to get off twitter, not quit your job :unsure:

Weird admitting this but I think I'm going to jump back in to Giant Bomb now.

I immediately skipped anything he was involved in or presenting which at the time didn't leave much.

I don't hate Ben, I just didn't enjoy his stuff at all.

40 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

So did he not take whatever severance was on offer at the acquisition then quit a couple of weeks later? 

They've probably come back and really stressed that he should take it.

8 hours ago, Simmy said:

Weird admitting this but I think I'm going to jump back in to Giant Bomb now.

I immediately skipped anything he was involved in or presenting which at the time didn't leave much.

I don't hate Ben, I just didn't enjoy his stuff at all.

He just never seemed very suited to the team. He came across as trying too hard too often and that came across as a little jarring against the more laidback (maybe too laidback at times) nature of the west coast office. He never really bothered me, but I also tuned out of most things he was on.

It probably seems like a dream job for most, but unless you’re incredibly secure in yourself, a role like that must be draining at the best of times. Especially with the disposable nature of content production now. Getting into regular spats online is a dumb move though, unless it’s your whole ‘schtick’ but that needs a much thicker skin to maintain or Dan-levels of commitment to being a heel.

Be interesting to see if there are new hires, or whether they’ll keep a reduced team. Probably for foreseeable, with guests returning to add some freshness.

It is kind of mind boggling to think that the same people who hired Dan then when on to choose Ben. He is a nice guy I am sure, but for a website that hangs so much on personalities, hiring someone so completely  uninteresting was a big mistake. 

On 30/11/2020 at 10:08, rafaqat said:

And it's that sort of stuff I liked Abby bringing to the group

Late to the party but it's worth pointing out Vinnie backed dream daddies and abby in that debate as well. He really went to bat for it. I definitely found Abby annoying at times, but I really miss her interactions with him as I feel like she brought out a really interesting side of Vinnie that can get lost a little in the banter.

13 hours ago, Simmy said:

Wasn't Ben backroom staff at the time and just kinda got promoted to the forefront?

Not exactly, he'd been the teaboy or something on work experience years before when they were in the old basment, and they brought him back. 

15 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Not exactly, he'd been the teaboy or something on work experience years before when they were in the old basment, and they brought him back. 

Must have served some daaaamn good tea!

15 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Must have served some daaaamn good tea!

Apparently they really liked him as an intern, because Brad dubbed him "the kingtern" back when ut was announced he was coming back. I remember thinking oh must be really good then, but soon I realized... oh no

So after GotY we're going to get QL and other videos without Ben, right? It's been so long since I last watched their video content. Looking forward to diving back in.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Apparently they really liked him as an intern, because Brad dubbed him "the kingtern" back when ut was announced he was coming back. I remember thinking oh must be really good then, but soon I realized... oh no

So after GotY we're going to get QL and other videos without Ben, right? It's been so long since I last watched their video content. Looking forward to diving back in.

Just finished the podcast, he'll be wrapping up his current run of videos, they said that as the GotY stuff is coming out in the coming week, there's likely to be some "Post Ben, Ben on the site"

Thanks, good to know.

"Kingtern" suggests he was the best damn intern they ever had. But just like having the most amazing one night stand, that doesn't necessarily mean that person is also the best choice for a long-term relationship.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Thanks, good to know.

"Kingtern" suggests he was the best damn intern they ever had. But just like having the most amazing one night stand, that doesn't necessarily mean that person is also the best choice for a long-term relationship.

They had Matt Kessler as an intern around the same time. He's now a manager at Sony. 

Edited by deerokus

Ben thinks he’s funny and tries to riff like Jeff all the time. Unfortunately he’s one of the most unfunny people I’ve ever heard on a podcast (same with stand-up-comedian-HOW Christian Spicer on DLC). That’s the problem in a nutshell.

On 13/01/2021 at 15:01, deerokus said:

I saw some comments on the GB subreddit that he brought energy to gb. 

What the hell. 

The GB sub is actively censored as regards negative comments. The mods there were questioned on it once and just said they ‘like to try and maintain a positive atmosphere.’ Probably the worst place to go to get a sense of how GB fans feel in general. 

On 14/01/2021 at 15:05, snowbind said:

Nah, he's fine and pretty funny. It's just a sign of the times that the giant bomb crew, along with all of us, are older and grumpier. 

I might be older and grumpier but there is still no way Ben has ever been funny.