Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

On 12/01/2021 at 22:13, ryodi said:

Twitch pays too much, GB would be a downgrade. I'm surprised Ben is leaving but Giantbomb is a career dead end, it makes me wonder how long Jan is going to stick around or since they were sold Abby and Ben will even be replaced. 

I could see them switching to a twice-weekly podcast rotating the various members of the East and West coast crews at this point. Given that eveyrone's working from home for the foreseeable. 

It's really worth mentioning that Brad and Will's podcast is excellent, I look forward to it much more than the beastcast. Their patreon Discord is a lovely place too. 

https://techpod.content.town/

It’s exactly what you expect it to be. Whether that’s a positive or negative is up to you. 

I did laugh at Brad being Brad again:

*Adds Destiny 2: Beyond Light to best looking list*
2 minutes later: “I don’t think Demons Souls should be on the list, it’s just another Souls game doing the Souls thing”. 

There’s a lot of dumb stuff being said by most of them though. 

The fact Cyberpunk 2077 was removed from Best Looking first was an absolute travesty. They even clarified that they were talking about the PC version. I mean, just look at this thread:

How that wasn't even in the top 3 best looking is crazy to me.

Jeff's criticism of "there being only a handful of corporations" in a world where half the fucking point is that corporations have merged into a handful who are now more powerful than nation states was absolutely mind boggling too.

I think it shows that none of them have modern (latest series) graphics cards, and even Jeff wasn't able to play it with raytracing on properly.

7 hours ago, Isaac said:

The fact Cyberpunk 2077 was removed from Best Looking first was an absolute travesty. They even clarified that they were talking about the PC version. I mean, just look at this thread:

How that wasn't even in the top 3 best looking is crazy to me.

Jeff's criticism of "there being only a handful of corporations" in a world where half the fucking point is that corporations have merged into a handful who are now more powerful than nation states was absolutely mind boggling too.

I think it shows that none of them have modern (latest series) graphics cards, and even Jeff wasn't able to play it with raytracing on properly.

I think their reasoning for it not hanging because of all the visual glitches and bugs is fair enough to bump it from the category. Like, Assassin's Creed Unity was a stunning looking game but you wouldn't include it because sometimes people's faces were inside out and that's not best looking. 

26 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I think their reasoning for it not hanging because of all the visual glitches and bugs is fair enough to bump it from the category. Like, Assassin's Creed Unity was a stunning looking game but you wouldn't include it because sometimes people's faces were inside out and that's not best looking. 

best styyyyyle then 

Did enjoy Alex’s first contribution was essentially arguing Ghosts of Tsushima was too pretty for the best-looking category. A category that definitely maybe almost certainly isn’t about looks but then ends up being exactly about that.

I generally enjoy the game of the year stuff, and it made for pleasant background noise while working from home today. It’s funny listening to them tying themselves in knots around their own loosely defined categories. Bless them all for keeping the thing going.

A nice constant to have during these weird times.

I watched most of the discussion for Best Looking game on YouTube yesterday and what I don't understand is why don't they make a microscopic bit of effort and pull up some actual footage of the games whilst they are talking? Try to make things a bit more enjoyable for people watching hours of tedious discussion whilst 5 or 6 of them sit there looking bored and disinterested? It might also help them get to a conclusion quicker.

The arguments from some of them for prefering one game over another are utterly dire in some cases and mostly nonsensical. It normally leads to just slagging off or nitpicking games so their other preferred game wins (or 'hangs'. Bleugh.)

Eg. "I think this game is just sooooo depressing so it can't win best looking". "This game has more colour so is better than that other game". "I only played a few hours of a 30 hour long game but my opinion is valid - so remove it from the list". Flight Simulator - "Realism = fantastic". Last of Us Pt 2 - "Realism = bad/boring/unimaginative", etc.

They will also bring in the technical side of visuals to win an argument about best looking - "Ori is 6K and 120fps maaaaannnn!!" But then some of those games are running on cutting edge new gen hardware and some are running on potato hardware from 2013. Where is the counter arguments to that? There aren't any put forward. Is it best looking or best technical accomplishment?

I've watched their game of the year stuff for a few years now and it never feels like a positive celebration of a year of gaming. It feels like a tedious slog for them and a tedious slog for the viewer to get through.

Fuck it in the bin.

Ben leaves Giant Bomb, in part because of internet trolls bullying him. Some on RLLMUK choose to continue being utter pricks about it, even after they got their wish and he's going. Gamers continue to be the worst group of people on the Internet planet. 

58 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Ben leaves Giant Bomb, in part because of internet trolls bullying him. Some on RLLMUK choose to continue being utter pricks about it, even after they got their wish and he's going. Gamers continue to be the worst group of people on the Internet planet. 

Is that true though? Or internet speculation? If so a real pity. Really disheartening to hear. I really wish that was not the reason. He said he wanted a more of a private life which is different than saying I could not deal with internet criticism. Having said that, I am happy he is leaving. I thought he made the site a lot worse. It was a round peg in square hole situation in his case, nothing against the chap personally. 

I'm glad they went back to the old format. It's just nice hearing them witter on about their experiences with a wide variety of games.

Hades is absolutely nailed on to win their GoTY. They all like it, their mates company made it, and it's basically been universally liked. Nothing else is going to come near it.

8 hours ago, Oz said:

Is that true though? Or internet speculation? If so a real pity. Really disheartening to hear. I really wish that was not the reason. He said he wanted a more of a private life which is different than saying I could not deal with internet criticism. Having said that, I am happy he is leaving. I thought he made the site a lot worse. It was a round peg in square hole situation in his case, nothing against the chap personally. 

Him and Jeff go into it a bit more on the last Aftermath. They talk through the reaction to Kingdom Heartache. He also details the criticism that he would get from people that he was just trying to copy the existing guys but if he tried to be more himself he would get criticism for that too and how he only started to feel comfortable again recently.

I feel the Giant Bomb community is quite toxic to any new comers. Then you have people, in this forum as well, who like to imagine how staff members think of Ben. Jeff himself has called out this bullshit as the bullshit it is and the people listening have no idea what the fuck they're talking about but even after that you'll see someone here post "oooooooh did you see that look Jeff gave Ben after that joke? He clearly hates his guts!". Listening to the Aftermath throughout the years, it's clear their sense of humor is closely aligned. 

It's not hard to find evidence of double standards. People here were ragging YBBABBY about her Schweppes bit. Absolute crickets when Vinny was the one regurgitating it during later podcasts and Sea Beasts.

They weren't perfect but they both brought something to the website. My old man yelling at change criticism would be that they needed to stop yelling overreactions at everything but that's just what the youth are into these days. 

All absolutely fair, but as a listener it's also fair that I'm allowed to say that imo he wasn't funny at all despite trying really hard - haven't had any problems with the other newcomers, just him. Never said that to him or on social just here because he seems like a decent guy otherwise. But more to the point is that he was simply unable to talk about games - you might like him or not, and I fully admit that I would be even worse than him at the job, but it always amazed me that it was acceptable to the staff and fans like you that he couldn't coherently describe a game or formulate an opinion. And if Jeff disagrees, no matter how much I like Jeff, then imo he badly misjudged this hire in terms of minimum skill requirements.

I think what @Mr. Gerbik is saying is important. I think when Dan joined he was loved by the community for example. He basically took the site by storm. Also, I think Abby was quite well received. I liked her a lot. 

Ben was just really bad. It was a headscratcher of a hire for most people. There are toxic communities on the internet and toxic threads on RLL but this is not one of them by any means.

Jeff does not take criticism  well in my opinion so the more the community told him they disliked Ben the more defensive he got and would start by assuming that the community was wrong and they are just a bunch of dickheads. 

Jeff is a visionary and his work on creating Giantbomb was historic. But he and the crew have always had the issue of diminishing what they hear back as feedback. I think Vinnie is better at listening and course correcting.

I honestly think Ben was just that bad. I stopped listening and let my subscription lapse after almost 10 years. He would get on my nerves for whatever reason. I don't think the issue is that he was new. 

12 minutes ago, Oz said:

I think what @Mr. Gerbik is saying is important. I think when Dan joined he was loved by the community for example. He basically took the site by storm. Also, I think Abby was quite well received. I liked her a lot. 

Ben was just really bad. It was a headscratcher of a hire for most people. There are toxic communities on the internet and toxic threads on RLL but this is not one of them by any means.

Jeff does not take criticism  well in my opinion so the more the community told him they disliked Ben the more defensive he got and would start by assuming that the community was wrong and they are just a bunch of dickheads. 

Jeff is a visionary and his work on creating Giantbomb was historic. But he and the crew have always had the issue of diminishing what they hear back as feedback. I think Vinnie is better at listening and course correcting.

I honestly think Ben was just that bad. I stopped listening and let my subscription lapse after almost 10 years. He would get on my nerves for whatever reason. I don't think the issue is that he was new. 

Thanks for explaining it better than I ever could.

17 minutes ago, Oz said:

No shade on anyone here and I wouldn't call this thread toxic but a good 80% of posts over the last like 2 years are people complaining. 

5 minutes ago, Zael said:

No shade on anyone here and I wouldn't call this thread toxic but a good 80% of posts over the last like 2 years are people complaining. 

I think it's nostalgia mixed with frustration.

Giant Bomb was brilliant. For a really really long time.

Then it split and things were moved around and having Ben as a replacement for whatever and being involved in a majority of the stuff meant, for me at least, that I was skipping so much stuff that I was paying a sub for and that was frustrating because GB was the constant thing that I'd stick on in the background. Quick looks, features, podcasts... And it was just kinda annoying. And at that point I let the sub lapse and I guess frustration lay there.

Again I don't hate Ben. I don't even know the guy. I just can't listen to him and chose not to.

And I think part of the enthusiasm on him leaving, at least on my part, is that I might actually enjoy listening to the majority of their stuff again and pick up the subscription again.

This is what glowing praise looks like on the internet in my view.

On 31/01/2015 at 21:44, Nespresso said:

Dan honestly makes some of the most typical mind numbing American comments some times. I do wonder how he even got that job at GB. But then at other times his enthusiasm is infectious. He'll laugh and laugh as he puts Drew through another horrible horror game or when Jeff goes on another tirade you hear nothing but a constant laughter in the background. Generally he seems to be a cool guy though but oh my lord... he mixes the finest whiskey with fucking Coke, he posed the question whether or not crabs are poisonous, he's afraid to drink Energy drinks or coffee because of 'caffeine addiction' yet I've seem him drink litres of Cola away on stream and the list goes on and on.

What a guy. :D

On 31/01/2015 at 22:21, PK said:

I'm not convinced Dan is playing a part, I just think he's a really willfully ignorant guy. Wouldn't like to hang around with him but it's fucking hilarious listening to the various reactions to him - Drew's amused amazement, Brad's seething hatred and Jeff's sort of resigned "I hired this guy".

I miss Vinny terribly :(

On 01/02/2015 at 00:41, Pupponvesh 2 said:

I went Premium at some point last year and it's great. I'd happily just donate based on the free stuff, but the extra content is really entertaining.

I do miss Vinny on the podcasts though. Dan is alright I suppose. it could just be the constant wrestling references, but Jason (the other new guy) seems way more likeable and funny.

The tension Dan seems to have added is pretty funny to watch though(see the Mario Party video)

On 02/02/2015 at 07:45, glb said:

Thanks to RLLMUK been listening for about a year and it's great, just a bunch of mates chatting nonsense. Enjoy the core Gaming chats, but think the podcast is at its best when they veer massively off topic and just launch into subjects two-footed (wrestling or lobsters spring to mind). Tempted to go Premium, but not sure how much I'd get chance to watch, more about the listening when commuting or pootling around town.

Dan is a dolt, but his egg whites story was gold.