IGNORED

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

This is such a shame, they've been a huge part of my life over the past 20-odd years (I've been listening since the Hotspot days).

I really wonder what happens next - whether the three of them go down the Twitch path forged by Dan, or whether Vinny goes into a less publicly-facing role again, or what.

Having said that, Jeff & Jeff are great together so really interested to see what happens in the future. 

I wonder whether Giant Bomb continues to exist.

Weirdly, the one who would instantly be a massive deal and make a ton of money on Twitch is the one staying, which doesn't make sense to me. I always thought that Jeff G would quit and just stream old obscure shit full time and immediately make a very good living on Patreon.

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

This is such a shame, they've been a huge part of my life over the past 20-odd years (I've been listening since the Hotspot days).

I really wonder what happens next - whether the three of them go down the Twitch path forged by Dan, or whether Vinny goes into a less publicly-facing role again, or what.

Having said that, Jeff & Jeff are great together so really interested to see what happens in the future. 

I wonder whether Giant Bomb continues to exist.

Weirdly, the one who would instantly be a massive deal and make a ton of money on Twitch is the one staying, which doesn't make sense to me. I always thought that Jeff G would quit and just stream old obscure shit full time and immediately make a very good living on Patreon.

Do you have any early vids.. Hotspot days??

I'm sad this is happening, I've loved Giant Bomb for a long time but kinda faded out around the time Ben came in.

I loved watching them talk over directs and e3's and etc

This is obviously quite sad, but at the same time, GB has felt tired and like an endeavour which has continued in less than ideal circumstances for quite some time.

I think I feel worst for Bakalar - he's left a good job at CNET to come to a company which clearly had to be doing something wrong for all 3 of them to jump ship in the same week, and three of the key personalities in the stuff he's supposed to be managing have suddenly disappeared.

It's not been the same thing for a while now. I bet they're looking forward to enjoying video games again. Brad and Alex in particular have been obviously working on other things to do once they leave.

A shame, but they had a good run.

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

This is obviously quite sad, but at the same time, GB has felt tired and like an endeavour which has continued in less than ideal circumstances for quite some time.

I think I feel worst for Bakalar - he's left a good job at CNET to come to a company which clearly had to be doing something wrong for all 3 of them to jump ship in the same week, and three of the key personalities in the stuff he's supposed to be managing have suddenly disappeared.

There is no way that he wouldn't be aware that at least Vinny had one foot out the door before he moved, they are close friends outside of work.

Jeff even alluded to how they'd been talking this over for a few months on the Bombcast.

There's no way that Bakalar found out recently.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/alex-navarro-brad-shoemaker-vinny-caravella-leave-giant-bomb/1100-6491009/

"I've spent a lot of the last year thinking about what's next for Giant Bomb and most of those roads lead to a full-on rethink of what it means to be a Website About Video Games in 2021. While I certainly would have loved to solve these challenges with my longtime friends and coworkers by my side, it just wasn't meant to be. I wish Vinny, Alex, and Brad the best. Meanwhile, we have a pretty exciting opportunity to broaden our horizons, rethink every facet of our operation, and get to a place where we're truly able to build that bomb all over again... or die trying."

Looks like it might be a complete revamp of GB instead of just fading away.

35 minutes ago, Isaac said:

There is no way that he wouldn't be aware that at least Vinny had one foot out the door before he moved, they are close friends outside of work.

Jeff even alluded to how they'd been talking this over for a few months on the Bombcast.

There's no way that Bakalar found out recently.

Bakalar is their boss as far as I can tell, course he knew. 

I'm also rather sad about this, I've been listening to these guys talk shit for a quarter of my life. When I've got spare time to watch something on YouTube my first search is always Giant Bomb to see what their latest quicklook is, and I tend to only ever listen to their podcast over anything else. 

I agree the site has lost some of its sense of fun over the years though, so maybe we'll look back at this as a positive change. Maybe we won't, and maybe they simply had no choice so the point is moot. 

Bit gutting this.

I've started to enjoy the Bombcast again recently, and I've got a long history with it and the site, enjoying their content and so on. Things had changed over the years and it wasn't as good as it has been in its hey day, but it's still putting out some decent content.

I don't know what they can be going forward.

Interested to see what they all end up doing now. Brad has the Tech Pod, which seems to have reinvigorated him, but what Vinny and Alex do I'm really not sure. A particular shame on the Alex front as his drum streams have been the best content they've put out recently.

My guess, and obviously that's all it is, is that Jeff intends to turn Giant Bomb into something of a curated streaming platform. As in they'd pull from a diverse range of freelance streamers, who the viewer can be assured aren't total arseholes, who'd be paid in a more direct manner for their time rather than having to rely on ad revenue or fishing for tips. Kind of like public-access television for the internet age, rather than the algorithmic, ad-driven behemoths of YouTube or Twitch. Giving a budget and support to people who wouldn't (shouldn't?) normally have it feels like energy he could get behind.

Another logical aspect could be Jeff interviewing people from the industry more regularly, as that's always seemed to be his favourite part of the conference shows. He's in a fairly privileged position in terms of industry contacts and prominence, plus that kind of access is a good way of luring viewers to the platform more generally. If they had a couple of banner 'studio' shows each week that would mean a lot less commuting for family man Jeff.

I might be totally wrong, but if I try to think of a direction that could excite Jeff – but not really make sense for the staff who are leaving – the above is what comes to mind.

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

As others have said, there’s absolutely no way on Earth that Bakalar didn’t know they’d resigned. All three leaving on the same day is a strong indication of a notice period being served.

It really wouldn’t surprise me if Bakalar is being positioned as the face of continuity on the East Coast side of Giant Bomb, they need someone to do that and he’s really the only guy who is capable. He’d not put much out on CNET in months before the vague announcement about him joining the games team at the new parent company, and they were fairly specific in pointing out he hadn’t joined Giant Bomb editorial when they made the announcement about his chair no longer rotating. His Twitter bio just says “Content dev/strategy + partnerships RV Media” so being appointed captain of a sinking ship might just be the unfortunate gig he ended up with in all of this.  

Of course, I’m guessing this didn’t come entirely out of the blue for Bakalar, but all of them leaving in one go, effectively meaning they all gave notice the same day, suggests to me something happened to give them all a push at the same time. 

Either way, it’ll be interesting to see where they all go from here. Brad and Alex in particular struck me as lifers. Brad’s got his podcast thing but I can’t see anyone rushing to hire either of them. 

I’d like to see them all go on to do stuff that’s not just Patreon. 

Absolutely gutted, end of an era. My weekly podcasts listens. I loved listening to them guys, heck even my wife knew their names over the years of long drives listens.

what a bombshell, who knows what was going on behind the scenes after the last buyout.