Giant Bomb Fan Club

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Having a dog doesn't make you a hipster, jeezo. 

It does if the dog collects vinyl and owns a collection of antique smoking pipes.

I said I knew my opinion was controversial, there was no need for the rllmuk defence force signal to be beamed into the sky, it’s not like I said I liked Keir Starmer or thought the Switch was shit or something. 

I’m not gonna make anyone here see it so I’ll leave it. 

46 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The podcast has been much better recently. 

Yeah, I agree. I completely stopped checking anything GB related for awhile but thought I'd give the Bombcast another go when Danny joined. Enjoyed it so much, that I've been listening every week again ever since. And it isn't just because of certain people leaving either - although that obviously did help - it seems like they're more passionate/genuinely interested in it all again. Could be because of Trump losing and the vaccines rolling out that there's less tension and real life concern they need to set aside to talk about videogames. And I really like Danny myself, but even if one doesn't - it's undeniable that he fits in really well with the rest. There's a relaxed vibe in the bombcast that was completely gone when I stopped listening.

19 minutes ago, Pockets said:

He does fit in with them and the general vibe, I’ll give hime that. It’s just that he’s lying and faking it and pulling the wool over their eyes... Okay I’ll leave it. 

I’m keen to hear it. Not dismissing your opinion. He seems like such an earnest chap to me. I always remember his stories about moving to the USA and dealing with mental health and other matters. I truly wonder what has rubbed you the wrong way. 

20 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I think we have to accept that the Giant Ben fanclub will continue to bring him up for years to come whenever this thread is bumped to talk about the latest Bombcast

4zsul9.jpg.10921e843053c9be4245136530759e79.jpg

I thin it's only fair since that's all you guys could talk about 80% of the time for the last couple of years.   Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!!

11 hours ago, Oz said:

I’m keen to hear it. Not dismissing your opinion. He seems like such an earnest chap to me. I always remember his stories about moving to the USA and dealing with mental health and other matters. I truly wonder what has rubbed you the wrong way. 

Fair enough. I should say, I probably watch fewer videos than most but I used to listen to all the Bombcasts and now the Beastcasts. 

It’s just little things that piss me off about him. I’m exaggerating for comedic effect, he does seem like a nice guy I suppose but he just irritates me. 

First of all, when they did football game videos - Danny, Vinny and Dan or Alex - he’d be put forward as the expert for obvious reasons but would then get so much wrong, despite claiming to be an expert. Not about the game as such, but the sport and just Britain in general - he’s Irish but never really clarified this to them, I guess he’s sick of explaining it. He’d do this weird thing of not wanting to appear too geeky all the time which is weird considering what he does. 

Now, the second part is weirder and probably more me than him. I’ve been to New York a lot, I tried to live there. One thing I always noticed in Irish bars or bars with Irish staff - there are a lot of both - is that they’d always be playing up to the Americans and sort of treating them like their pets and cousins, the Americans love being patronised by the Irish. Upon finding out you were British, there’d be a weird kind of annoyance at the fact they knew you’d be able to see what they were doing - manipulating the Americans or whatever. This sounds oddly anti-Irish, I don’t mean it to. I like the Irish, I like some U2 songs. (I’ve got a black friend too! etc). 

I dunno, I know that will sound weird to people that haven’t experienced it - it’s almost conspiracy theory level - but it’s as if America is a theme park the Irish work in and Americans are the kids thinking it’s all real and you’re a parent who risks shattering the illusion they’ve built up. 

Okay, I’m making it weirder. I can’t explain it and obviously I don’t mean all Irish people or just Irish people or whatever. But Danny does this weird unexplainable bullshitting thing and, as someone who’s seen it and knows what it is, I know he’s doing it. 

With Mary, I dunno, I always found her schtick annoying. She likes pretending she doesn’t know she’s attractive as she knows this very thing is part of her appeal. I think if she looked like Abby more people would find her as annoying. I know that sounds sexist, I don’t know how to word it differently, it probably just is. They’ve had plenty of woman on the show that I’ve liked, Mary is fine, I don’t dislike her, I just don’t get the love - or rather I’m suspicious of it being ‘hot gamer girl’ inspired. You don’t need to deny it or argue, I’m sure I’m wrong already. 

I fully accept I’m the arsehole here - it’s not like these people have done anything to me - I’m just explaining my thought process as requested. I lean misanthropic so that explains it. I’m not claiming it’s a good thing. 

TL:DR While most original people of GB came with a strong interest in games and desire to discuss them, with personalities being the money making but, ultimately, secondary aspect of the proposition, it feels to me like with Danny and Mary and some others, they’re trying to sell themselves first, the fact it’s in the sphere of gaming is a secondary concern. I’m not suggesting they’re not genuinely interested, but it is about selling themselves first. 

Mary Kish doesn't pretend she isn't attractive, have you *seen* her Instagram? I don't know why that would matter anyway, she's also quite obviously an awkward dork.

I dunno, feels like you're projecting something that isn't there. The only thing that can be a bit grating about Danny is that his documentaries are more hagiography. 

19 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Mary Kish doesn't pretend she isn't attractive, have you *seen* her Instagram? I don't know why that would matter anyway, she's also quite obviously an awkward dork.

I dunno, feels like you're projecting something that isn't there. The only thing that can be a bit grating about Danny is that his documentaries are more hagiography. 

I probably am. I don’t explain these things well it’s just that sort of intangible first impression feeling you get. If I was at a party I feel like I’d get on with most of GB. I feel Mary and Danny would be offish and wonder what talking to me would look like. Am I credible? They just seem like those sort of people to me. 

Like you say, probably projecting, probably imagined. 

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

Instagram creeping time

:ph34r:

I have just been listening to them so long now it sort of feels like I've known them a long time.

It has been now over 15 years of listening every week. It is mad. Granted it has been more on and off for the past couple of years.

I think there is a element of them separating the crew between the two coast which made it not as good. Loosing Dan was another blow.

Also I think Jeff is just not as funny anymore. He is getting old and somehow less jaded. Or less funny when he is jaded.

He needs someone to get him going. It was either Ryan before and then Dan. He is missing that at the moment. 

Check this out for example. These moments just occur very infrequently these days. Dan would just push his buttons. 

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Oz said:

Check this out for example. These moments just occur very infrequently these days. Dan would just push his buttons. 

I had completely forgotten about the impression people had of Capcom in 2014. That company has really sorted itself out since then!

@Pockets I'm completely with you on Danny, he frequently talks like he's an authority on UK life when it's clear he led a fairly sheltered one when he was over here. The uncertain way he talks about some things that the rest of the staff don't pick up on, and the stuff he gets completely wrong, really make him seem like a bullshitter. I can't really think of any examples and I can't be arsed to find them but you have my axe.

Kish is a good laugh though.

I’ve never been a fan of Danny either. He’s always been weirdly supportive of both publishers and game companies in general, which I guess served him well for his noclip videos which are at best borderline marketing. He did well to leverage the connections he made from sucking up to them over all those years at Gamespot. 

I still remember him having a go at “whiny” and “entitled” gamers who were upset because they thought Halo MCC should work properly, and he wrote a long post about it on his website explaining why we should be thankful to Microsoft for even allowing us to buy it. 

I obviously can't speak on any UK knowledge, but to be fair -  whenever I'm abroad I become the de facto expert on all things Dutch. While I've been born and raised here, there's loads of shit I don't know and would get wrong. But, I'm of course happy to play along and don't mind getting things wrong. When I was in Japan I even became the de facto expert on all things European, I know even less about that! But that's just the way it goes. Of course Danny is the resident Ireland/UK/Europe expert just by being there in the presence of Americans, ie the country notorious for being stubbornly oblivious to the goings on in the rest of the world.

They once asked him on Unprofessional Fridays to explain Proportional Representation, I think because it was being talked about a lot on UK Twitter that week. You could see a brief panic flash in his eyes and said "Oh, whoever's party loses always want us to change the way we vote so that they'll win next time". And they all accepted that explanation, and that was a bit annoying.

4 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

Kish is a good laugh, but I'd be lying if my first impression of her wasn't "Hot!".

I have to admit; same here. But I like her because she's entertaining and fun - always a laugh when she turned up for the Friday shows or for some DnD shenanigans. No matter how hot she is, if she was annoying or boring on those streams being hot wouldn't compensate for that.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I obviously can't speak on any UK knowledge, but to be fair -  whenever I'm abroad I become the de facto expert on all things Dutch. While I've been born and raised here, there's loads of shit I don't know and would get wrong. But, I'm of course happy to play along and don't mind getting things wrong. When I was in Japan I even became the de facto expert on all things European, I know even less about that! But that's just the way it goes. Of course Danny is the resident Ireland/UK/Europe expert just by being there in the presence of Americans, ie the country notorious for being stubbornly oblivious to the goings on in the rest of the world.

Yeah I suppose I've not considered it that way. You'd probably not want to keep saying "I don't know" to questions about your home country/region in case they ask you if you ever left your house when you lived there.

5 minutes ago, PK said:

They once asked him on Unprofessional Fridays to explain Proportional Representation, I think because it was being talked about a lot on UK Twitter that week. You could see a brief panic flash in his eyes and said "Oh, whoever's party loses always want us to change the way we vote so that they'll win next time". And they all accepted that explanation, and that was a bit annoying.

That's just human isn't it. You can't fault him for trying his best and not knowing every single little detail about everything related to the UK. In the end he's there to talk about games and be entertaining. Is it really that bad if someone gets some fact wrong in the small talk bit?

Not trying to be the Danny Defense Force here, I'm just thinking that if I was in a similar position - guest starring on a UK based podcast from a fellow forumite for example - I'm sure I would get asked a few things about Holland and get some stuff wrong and get jumped on by Cyhwuhx or Vemsie!

Edit: didn't see the above post before typing this!

Too many people are just scared of saying “I don’t know”.   I’d much rather have that answer than be bullshitted to to be honest.   Or couch the answer with “I’m not 100% sure, but..”

8 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Too many people are just scared of saying “I don’t know”.   I’d much rather have that answer than be bullshitted to to be honest.   Or couch the answer with “I’m not 100% sure, but..”

Isn't this just because there's a risk of losing your job? Somethings got to pay the bills. I'd love to share some of the stories or truths about what goes on in my workplace to the outside world but I'd be out on my arse if I was found out :lol:

9 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Isn't this just because there's a risk of losing your job? Somethings got to pay the bills. I'd love to share some of the stories or truths about what goes on in my workplace to the outside world but I'd be out on my arse if I was found out :lol:

Sorry I mean that sort of stuff coming from otherwise competent people.  Like you can do your job and that's appreciated but don't bullshit about stuff you don't know about. Why bother doing that. You run the risk of damaging your reputation.   Danny is good at doing his documentaries. He has no need to bullshit about stuff he doesn't know the answer to.