Giant Bomb Fan Club

I wonder if Jeff wants to concentrate more on old games and the site’s wiki. There’s a gap in the market for a big site going all in on retro and archival things.

9 hours ago, Isaac said:

This is such a shame, they've been a huge part of my life over the past 20-odd years (I've been listening since the Hotspot days).

I really wonder what happens next - whether the three of them go down the Twitch path forged by Dan, or whether Vinny goes into a less publicly-facing role again, or what.

Having said that, Jeff & Jeff are great together so really interested to see what happens in the future. 

I wonder whether Giant Bomb continues to exist.

Weirdly, the one who would instantly be a massive deal and make a ton of money on Twitch is the one staying, which doesn't make sense to me. I always thought that Jeff G would quit and just stream old obscure shit full time and immediately make a very good living on Patreon.

I really don't think Jeff needs any more money, he's earned it all though. Sad times to see them go but I can see why from the bombcast episode. It's all about videos now and there's no need for a website any more, not as much as in the past anyway.

Even though it's felt like something like this was on the cards for a while, it's so sad to have it actually happen. I'll miss watching their content and intermittently moaning about their content in this thread so much :(

1 hour ago, QuackQuack said:

I wonder if Jeff wants to concentrate more on old games and the site’s wiki. There’s a gap in the market for a big site going all in on retro and archival things.

I'm slightly surprised he's sticking around, he's a brilliant retro streamer. He could easily take the entire GB audience with him and effectively retire on a Twitch account.

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Which makes it even more odd that they’d all hand in notice to go and do nothing in particular, given the company was offering redundancy 6 months ago. 

I’m gonna suggest that redundancy wasn’t available for certain key employees.  Red Ventures wouldn’t want to buy a personality based brand and then have all of those personalities leave on day one, they’d likely have guarantees which were part of the sale.  If the deal was sealed at the end of October then we are six months out and given that three of the four core members of the staff (if Alex counts) all leave on the same day then it seems to me that some kind of deadline was met and then people became free to move.  We’ll probably never know given they’ll have signed confidentiality clauses not to talk about the specifics of the deal.  

4 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I’m gonna suggest that redundancy wasn’t available for certain key employees.  Red Ventures wouldn’t want to buy a personality based brand and then have all of those personalities leave on day one, they’d likely have guarantees which were part of the sale.  If the deal was sealed at the end of October then we are six months out and given that three of the four core members of the staff (if Alex counts) all leave on the same day then it seems to me that some kind of deadline was met and then people became free to move.  We’ll probably never know given they’ll have signed confidentiality clauses not to talk about the specifics of the deal.  

:lol: at the title of this weeks Bombcast is ‘Brad’s leaving’.

From the sounds of it GB is going dark for the next month, all Premium subscribers have had a month added to their subscriptions. Something has finally stopped the Bombcast.

They've been companions on train rides, garden walks, hospital waits and holidays.

Someone once told me that all you had to aim for as a parent was that the good memories outweighed the bad.  By that measure, the Giant Bombcast was a definite success.

pressf.jpg

Honestly just sitting here sad and nostalgic. Thinking about everything that has changed in these 13 years.

I reckon they were just let go with 6 months notice. One person leaving is one thing, but would Alex really leave a cushy little job like that? It’s not like there’ll be huge demand for him elsewhere. 

Similarly, I wonder if Ben and Abby were pushed out sooner as they hadn’t been there long. I mean, what was Ben planning?

I dunno, seems odd that they’d all choose to leave in the current climate. American employment law is a weird thing. I expect they were given a certain pay off that may have included them not disclosing the details. 

Afaik Ben and Abby took the cushy voluntary redundancy packages that were offered. That can work out perfectly if you're young with few commitments.

I wouldn't be shocked if Vinny and Alex eventually set up 'Small Firework' or something like that.

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Afaik Ben and Abby took the cushy voluntary redundancy packages that were offered. That can work out perfectly if you're young with few commitments.

I wouldn't be shocked if Vinny and Alex eventually set up 'Small Firework' or something like that.

Yeah, but I wonder how voluntary they really were. Literally, they probably were, but realistically they were probably told there wasn’t much future for them and no promises you’ll get the same so might as well take this deal now etc. 

24 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I reckon they were just let go with 6 months notice. One person leaving is one thing, but would Alex really leave a cushy little job like that? It’s not like there’ll be huge demand for him elsewhere. 

He's not just got editorial experience but Community work as well when he was at Harmonix.

All of them will be fine. They have so many contacts in the industry that there's probably already been a few offers thrown at them.

45 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Maybe they were just tired of thoughtless people on the internet constantly theorising how they all secretly hated each other, how X only got their job because of Y, or listening to how, “Giant Bomb hasn't been any good since Z”.

Go back and read this thread and you'll have a pretty good picture of why they might be looking to do something else. 'Fan Club', indeed.

holy shit man. a bit harsh this. just look at the love they are all getting on twitter and elsewhere. I think most people hated Ben but that was about it. there is nothing but love for everyone else. they are all fucking incredible people who clearly cared deeply for each other. I am going to really miss them terribly. 

I was surprised when I joined the forum that there even were enough people here to have a community of fans and a thread that always remained active. I think most people here have nothing but love for what the crew did. they shit on them from time to time, sometimes fairly and sometimes maybe not. but that does not mean they are not fans.  

Reading between the lines after listening to the Bombcast, it sounded to me like Jeff knows he really has to shake up the site for it to survive and whatever his plans are didn’t appeal to the others. It certainly doesn’t seem like there’s any bad blood, though, just handshakes all round and see you later. 

End of an era; Iv'e been listening to these guys, in some form or another, since 'The Hotspot' days and consuming their written content even earlier. They've been a constant in my life for so long that it's going to be very weird not hearing from them anymore, very weird and it's sad that it's ending in 2 days, not a couple of weeks notice. They had a good run though and wherever they appear, if they appear, then I will be there Day 0. I'll be interested to see what Jeff does with the site because I don't think he can do anything with it that is worth a damn at this point, the personalities are the site and now they are gone.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Reading between the lines after listening to the Bombcast, it sounded to me like Jeff knows he really has to shake up the site for it to survive and whatever his plans are didn’t appeal to the others. It certainly doesn’t seem like there’s any bad blood, though, just handshakes all round and see you later. 

Yep,

1. Corporate America

2. Buy out, value/consolidation

3. Beginning of a global recession

4. Mass exodus of staff

They aren't leaving because the new management gave them a super sweet deal to keep them secure for the next 20 years. They were offered terms, they were poor, so they were rejected. They work really really hard to make Giantbomb, most of it is background/invisible, people can't see the real value. Vinny could do just as well working half as hard on his own.