IGNORED

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

I didn't realize but it explains a lot. It's dry and boring as fuck. On the one hand I understand their need to put good stuff behind the paywall, on the other it's a terrible advertisement for their Patreon this way. I'm sure they couldn't care less though because they seem to be doing quite well. 

Might as well unsubscribe from their free podcast, it's never going to improve if it's shit by design.

That’s unfortunate because the current podcast doesn’t inspire me to subscribe to their patreon. 

On the other hand I have been subscribing to GB years and I genuinely couldn’t tell you when I last consumed any premium content. I just like supporting them. 

So to get the ramblecast Vinnie et al want 96 bangers out of me a year? Errr fuck off. Think I'm gonna cancel my 4quid sub this morning. There's a guy I watch on YT (totally not games related) and he's kicking out great stuff every few days. I'd rather give him my four quid. 

If I thought it would get any traction I'd mail them and tell them why I'm not up for 8 quid a month but I suspect a few thousand others are happy with this and they will just carry on. It just seems like really shit value for money. I comparison I'm paying 32 quid or around that for GB per year. Also not a huge fan of a podcast that reels of 10 mins of Patreon backers. Yeah that's entertaining.

It was profoundly embarrassing when that gentleman sent a message by electronic means from his computer via a network in order to incorrectly communicate that Box and Broadcast are superior public houses to Nice & Sleazy in Scotland’s most populous city Glasgow, a port city on the River Clyde in Scotland's western Lowlands.

I have a friend who used to be bar staff at sleazy's. Lovely guy, although permanently half asleep, I can't imagine him serving pints anywhere but there. Box is a soulless place and I don't really know Broadcast that well.

I was in Rufus T's last night, that place is ideal if you're just too old for Sleazy's. Although they seem to have removed the ps1 since the pandemic, for shame, and it can be confusing trying to find your friends due to the sheer preponderance of bald 35-40 year old guys with checked shirts. It's like there's a factory producing them.

10 hours ago, idiwa said:

So to get the ramblecast Vinnie et al want 96 bangers out of me a year? Errr fuck off. Think I'm gonna cancel my 4quid sub this morning. There's a guy I watch on YT (totally not games related) and he's kicking out great stuff every few days. I'd rather give him my four quid. 

If I thought it would get any traction I'd mail them and tell them why I'm not up for 8 quid a month but I suspect a few thousand others are happy with this and they will just carry on. It just seems like really shit value for money. I comparison I'm paying 32 quid or around that for GB per year. Also not a huge fan of a podcast that reels of 10 mins of Patreon backers. Yeah that's entertaining.

10 hours ago, idiwa said:

If you don't tell them why you're leaving they'll never make any changes and will stick with the stuff that everyone else tells them is awesome.   You're effectively helping them build an echo chamber by not telling them why you're off right?

The above I suppose goes to anyone not happy with recent output. Make your feelings known in a polite way and then walk from the subscription.  Telling rllmuk about it isn't going to ever change it.

I actually quite enjoyed the couple episodes of the Very Online Show that i've seen. I could listen to Tam and Lucy chat about any old shite for hours mind.

I think the dynamic is pretty good all in all, Bakalar seems a little more relaxed and less 'on' in this. 🙂

@fatbob @rafaqat Am I being thick? What was the point of it? It felt like Tam was trying to explain what meme is... or did I miss this by a country mile? I was "working" at the time so it was more background. It just felt like it was a really drawn out explanation of what Shyamalan's latest film was about. 

It's a weird concept, I can maybe see it working in a much much shorter format, but it feels like 40 minutes of slowly reading some Know Your Meme pages.

It's so stilted but even if it was a tight ten minutes I can't imagine any universe where you'd pay for that.

But then none of this is aimed at me clearly and that's fine, I'm just curious more than anything. It's like they're turning GB into a pop culture version of curiosity stream or something, which is odd.

15 hours ago, idiwa said:

@fatbob @rafaqat Am I being thick? What was the point of it? It felt like Tam was trying to explain what meme is... or did I miss this by a country mile? I was "working" at the time so it was more background. It just felt like it was a really drawn out explanation of what Shyamalan's latest film was about. 

No, not at all! It's definately a weird concept. They did an intro video before episode one where it seemed like the concept was to talk about a thing related to internet culture in some way. Episode one definately feels like Tam is basically explaining what a meme is, via this one example. I think it's not a great choice, but Tam seems into it so I go with him on that.

Episode two seems a bit clearer, they're just talking about the history of emojis and the process of getting new ones made - looking into the shadowy world of Unicode etc.

The format is the thing i'm less sure about. Like, they've sort of cast Bakalar as the uninformed audience proxy, which I don't think tottally works, as he seems kinda informed! 

I get why people wouldn't be into it though. To me, the point of it seems to be that they're trying to capture a bit of those classic Giant Bomb off topic meanderings, but in a slightly stuctured way. If that's true, it doesn't feel tottally successful, but i've enjoyed it anyway.

3 hours ago, fatbob said:

The format is the thing i'm less sure about. Like, they've sort of cast Bakalar as the uninformed audience proxy, which I don't think tottally works, as he seems kinda informed! 

This is what threw me. I mean if it was Dan being the out of touch old fart maybe. I'll give the emoji one a listen later. 

They've got 4 Shows in the Upcoming section for this week. All of which are Premium (and they haven't put up UPF as coming soon yet so that makes 5.

It doesn't affect me as a Premium subscriber, but I worry that they're aren't giving people enough of a taster to jump into a sub.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta be honest, hearing Jeff and Jan talking about how great the Dark Order are on AEW bummed me out a tiny bit. 

I think that whole gimmick is absolutely terrible and has been one of the worst things about AEW since it started. I thought Jeff and Jan were men of culture. :(