IGNORED

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

I occasionally get recommendations from the Giant Bomb channel on YouTube and it's so fucking depressing.

The bombast is total dirge. I'm getting grubsnax (?) crap showing up. Bad album discussions. I had a peek at some "reel layers" video they are doing.

It feels like the final nail in the coffin for me but I've just unsubscribed from their free YouTube channel. Life is too short for this rubbish :( 

They do seem to be turning things round, but the bad album show and Reel Layers are just dreadful.

Hopefully the “throw everything at the wall” approach is ending.

I used to listen to the Bombcast twice a week because it was so good, now I struggle to even watch a couple of Quick Looks a month.

Even the usually sympathetic GB subreddit is full of negative comments so they must be in trouble! Danny is on hiatus and so is his Demon Souls stream. They’ve also announced they are going to be permanently home streaming. 

There was less of the talking over each other mess this week which is something of an improvement at least. 

I just don't understand what's holding them back from producing actual videogame content involving the main staff. They used to pump out hella quick looks, add a few retro streams and regular endurance runs in the mix and presto. But for some reason they always seem to be extremely busy with *something* and for some reason have no time to much besides the bombcast and UPF - but even those feel like a bother because they're so busy with *something*. And every time they build something new, improve the studio or whatever, you feel like ah this is what they were complaining about for ages so NOW we're going to see a lot of content. But no, because immediately after they start building towards *something else* and again they're oh so busy. Or they finally hire new staff after complaining for a year that 6 in front of the camera people isn't enough to film more than 2 quick looks a week - and again you expect more quick looks to appear but no, now they have to work on *something else* so we're winding down to 1 quick look a week with 8 main staff. All the new non-videogame stuff wouldn't be half as annoying if it was presented alongside the same volume of videogame content they used to pump out back when they presumably had a far lower budget and no big professional company backing them. 

I've given up on Giant Bomb for a while now, but I get the same thing from Nextlander (which I do still sub to and enjoy).

There's three of them, they don't need to play loads of games for review or anything that might keep them hugely busy behind the scenes, and because they're self employed they can stream whatever they want: they don't have to produce Quick Looks or shitty album shows or whatever the overlords dictate.

If I was in that position I'd do at least one stream a day. But you get three streams a week from them if you're lucky, and two podcasts (which should really be one podcast).

It's not like they do much editing of their streams after the fact, either. The only thing that seems to happen with their YouTube videos is that you get the 'starting in 5:00' timer cut down. Other than that they go up unedited. Okay, the podcasts need editing, but that's only going to be one of them doing it, even if that takes a day per podcast there's still three days a week where all of them are available for streaming, and two days when two of them are.

Still, for me that's a good problem to be complaining about: I enjoy Nextlander's content and wish there was more of it. For you guys who are still GB fans, it's different in that you don't think they're putting out good stuff, and there's not much of it.

11 hours ago, Scribblor said:

I've given up on Giant Bomb for a while now, but I get the same thing from Nextlander (which I do still sub to and enjoy).

There's three of them, they don't need to play loads of games for review or anything that might keep them hugely busy behind the scenes, and because they're self employed they can stream whatever they want: they don't have to produce Quick Looks or shitty album shows or whatever the overlords dictate.

If I was in that position I'd do at least one stream a day. But you get three streams a week from them if you're lucky, and two podcasts (which should really be one podcast).

It's not like they do much editing of their streams after the fact, either. The only thing that seems to happen with their YouTube videos is that you get the 'starting in 5:00' timer cut down. Other than that they go up unedited. Okay, the podcasts need editing, but that's only going to be one of them doing it, even if that takes a day per podcast there's still three days a week where all of them are available for streaming, and two days when two of them are.

Still, for me that's a good problem to be complaining about: I enjoy Nextlander's content and wish there was more of it. For you guys who are still GB fans, it's different in that you don't think they're putting out good stuff, and there's not much of it.

Can you recommend anything to watch from Nextlander?

I saw they are doing the old FMV games just wondered if you had a recommendation.

And when you say subscribed, you mean on YouTube?

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

I saw they are doing the old FMV games just wondered if you had a recommendation.

They did a decent Hitman series where Brad and Vinnie were doing the same mission in real time and seeing who got the fastest time with Alex doing all the vision mixing. Was pretty funny. 

I think I was watching that on Twitch rather than YT.

On 06/01/2022 at 23:23, Simmy said:

I occasionally get recommendations from the Giant Bomb channel on YouTube and it's so fucking depressing.

The bombast is total dirge. I'm getting grubsnax (?) crap showing up. Bad album discussions. I had a peek at some "reel layers" video they are doing.

It feels like the final nail in the coffin for me but I've just unsubscribed from their free YouTube channel. Life is too short for this rubbish :(

I'm in the same boat with Giantbomb at the moment.

It doesn't help that this past year I've discovered a bunch of cool Twitch streamers that I've been watching more of lately. 

I used to be engrossed in GB content, but at the moment it's just something I have on in the background while I do other things. Even now as I'm working on my laptop I habve UPF on and I'm barely taking it in. The site will be dead this year, I'm calling it.

They probably should have called it quits around the time they bought that (likely) expensive Family Feud-like stage set. In hindsight it's clear from this moment that they would never be able to make the site as good as it used to be. Note that I don't mean "the same" but "of a similar entertainment quality".

After teasing a great new studio for ages, that was what they triumphantly presented. A stage set that they did the one joke video with that they had in mind before it became fairly useless and a step back. Sure, maybe the couch was too small - but that they opted to replace it with that ghastly newscaster type desks says a lot about how they completely lost sight of the appeal of the site.

They began as a personality driven site. The appeal was the staff themselves and the informal feeling the site had: you weren't just consuming content, but checking it with old friends. That newscaster desk is the complete opposite of that informal feeling, if anything it creates a distance between them and their audience by wanting to look all professional and shit. Instead of looking like a bunch of old friends chilling on the couch, they looked like idiot influencers. Big Jeff was unable to see and understand this.

16 hours ago, Simmy said:

I mean their Patreon, but I believe the only thing that gets you is an extra podcast. All their videos are free as far as I can tell.

I generally watch them on Twitch, but almost all their stuff gets on YouTube eventually.

For recommendations, Alex's Lost Judgment stream was really good (but it was a one shot thing), the Hitman race series was great, Brad playing Resi 7 in VR I really enjoyed, Life is Strange True Colours was awesome, any FMV stuff has been worth watching, Brad playing the original Metroid was fun, I'm liking Vinny's streams of Guardians of the Galaxy... 

I've enjoyed Nextlander's Game of the Year discussions.  Their retrospectives on previous years was interesting.  I wonder how Jeff feels about them drawing so directly from Bombcasts past (which I do care about, because I like Jeff).

I still like the Bombcast if only for Jeff and Jan and Danny.  But I've only ever listened to that Bombcast.