Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

Brad is just incredibly dull. I'm not sure what he does at GB beyond sort of run the podcast and do quick looks. He contributes nothing of interest and just rolls over when Jeff steamrolls him. And I cant see him ever leaving. 

Jason seems like a genuinely lovely person but he's also pretty boring. Just seems to love anything with mechs/ninjas/fighting. Don't mind him at all, though. 

1 hour ago, Radish said:

Oh, I just watched/listened to the Fast and the Furious audio thing. It was pretty entertaining, but as you'd expect they do talk over most of the dialogue so if you haven't seen the film before I'm not sure this would be the best way to watch it. I also had a weird issue where I somehow kept getting ahead of them. Every five or ten minutes I'd have to pause for a few seconds to let them catch up - I have no idea why that kept happening. I'm fairly sure I sync'd the audio up well at the start and even if I was out it would have been by a second at the most. Maybe one of us watched a cut or uncut version? Either way, if you have 90 minutes to spare and fancy a decent action film with GB East commentary I'd definitely recommend it. 

Were you watching on DVD? Commentaries like this get out of sync quickly because PAL dvds run slower (just like PAL games used to). Best bet is to watch a streaming version or the blu ray, they should run at the correct speed iirc. 

Edited by deerokus

I think post-Ryan Brad is a shadow of his former self when it comes to all things Bombcast. I didn't mind him all that much, and just found him generally a bit dull right until the whole Destiny shite. Every week droning on about the *same* shit for an hour. I went through a phase of skipping the Bombcast entirely for a couple of months because of that nonsense. Knowing that Destiny 2 looms on the horizon has me ready to skip entire months of Giant Bomb West content because you just know he's going to keep playing it on UPF each week. The Hitman stuff was great at first, but again, hearing about it each week and seeing them play it (and still somehow be utterly shite at it) week after week on UPF really put me off the game. I haven't played it in months because I'm just sort of sick of it.

I would love for Jason to chime in more, because I think much like Drew, he's actually really witty and makes some fantastic stealth jokes/comments. He seems to have genuine enthusiasm for games that I have no real interest in, but I really enjoy hearing him talk about them or watching his streams/Extra Life stuff. Jason makes some good solo content, Jeff makes fantastic content, Vinny also makes great stuff. Brad on his own? NOPE! Same for Dan, when he's with Vinny, Jason, Jeff or Drew, he's really entertaining. On his own? No thanks!

UPF related: I agree with Rorie. Ready Player One is shite. An entirely unlikeable 'protagonist', surrounded by stereotypes. It's pure neckbeard wank fantasy. I couldn't even finish the book, I got towards the end and just couldn't stomach any more of the cringing and eye-rolling.

Edited by Chow

16 hours ago, ryodi said:

I also think having Jeff Bakalar on the Beastcast each week helps as well. He brings a different perspetive to the conversations because he isn't just another GB guy. New hires will help the Bombcast but I think having more guests would be good as well while their new hires are going through. I don't really watch much GB content anymore despite be a premium subscriber, Bombcast and Beastcast are all I need each week.  

Totally agree, Jeff B brings a nice balance to the Beastcast being an external voice, but is also perfectly in-line with the generally light-hearted tone.

As much as Alex grates at times, he's been good the last few weeks. He was totally on point regarding Pewdiepie (never heard Vinny that pissed off either) and kudos to the recently answered question about coping with depression, thought he and Dan did a sterling job. Dan's smarter than he's given credit for I think, he just excels at playing the heel and revels in a lot of the goofing around he does. Glad he's fitting in so well.

2 hours ago, Chow said:

Oh hooray, the Fellate Japan Club aka 8-4 Play are on this week's Bombcast. I guess I'm skipping this one then.

Don't be so hasty - they also have someone from 'gamehistory.org', so there's sure to be plenty of thrilling game preservation chat to keep you interested.

Going back to the chat a few posts ago, I agree - GB West is in a bad state right now.

I actually really like Jason - he's into loads of stuff I have absolutely no interest in, but he also knows how to talk about that stuff in a way that's in depth enough to give you an idea of what he's on about, but not so in depth that you get bored. He's also got a pretty good dry sense of humour that comes out from time to time.

This is the polar opposite of Brad. I think Brad's problem is that he's just a bit thick. He can't talk about something he likes in general terms, he has to give specific examples (which equates to him being terrible at basic cultural criticism), he's pretty bad at talking over people, has zero charisma, and his heart hasn't seemed in it for years.

I'd be fine with him leaving the show, because he clearly doesn't want to be there most of the time.

I wonder what a day looks like for Brad. He doesn't seem to do anything worthy of note there. If it weren't for GBE I would've already moved my premium money to Easy Allies. They do so much more with a much less resources, it's kind of inexcusable really. Even single person Youtube channels are putting out more content than GB!

The SF office seems to be constantly building towards something but never actually making any changes.  I thought they were going to announce loads of new live shows or something but they're just trudging along doing the same stuff but with better cameras.

At the moment the GBEast stuff is the only stuff I listen to or watch; so far that's still worth the subscription fee!

Premium is well worth it, always was. Even just in recent weeks if you never touched the archive, film and 40s and Beast in the East are great. 

There are very few Youtube people I enjoy, and even then one of them recently started doing sponsored content (get paid to let's play a game by the studio) and I lost a lot of trust in him. 

There's also been a big increase lately in the "we play X game with the developers", which is exactly the sort of content I avoid on other sites. It's just paid for advertising. GB can't (and never have) been critical of a game that they're viewing with the devs, even when it's deserved. I don't even really blame them for it as that would be rude, but ultimately I thought GB were above advertising like that. 

19 minutes ago, Radish said:

There's also been a big increase lately in the "we play X game with the developers", which is exactly the sort of content I avoid on other sites. It's just paid for advertising. GB can't (and never have) been critical of a game that they're viewing with the devs, even when it's deserved. I don't even really blame them for it as that would be rude, but ultimately I thought GB were above advertising like that. 

They are always done as a sort of  preview / interview though and very clearly labelled. They're often not finished versions of the game either. I've never felt that their reviews or quick look comments have been influenced by any prior coverage either, not that they do loads. Have they ever been asked if they take money for them? I suspect that they don't.

I enjoyed today's Tacoma piece and felt like it was a nice way to get the game on my radar. It's also something that I think GBWest are well suited to in terms of geography and the measured and experienced personalities they have there. 

Considering how many times the Tacoma devs have been on UPF and the Bombcast to promote their game I'm amazed it's only now on your radar. (Edit: The sarcasm wasn't really aimed at you, just that they always seem to pop up on a regular basis).

I just don't see why the devs need to be there. You can interview them before hand and then play through the game yourself, giving a natural reaction to what you're seeing while you explain the game to your viewer. Like a quick look. I'd have loved Jeff to be more honest in his appraisal of the Windjammers remake because his multiple "hmm"s suggested he wasn't entirely convinced. 

On 25/02/2017 at 22:46, deerokus said:

Were you watching on DVD? Commentaries like this get out of sync quickly because PAL dvds run slower (just like PAL games used to). Best bet is to watch a streaming version or the blu ray, they should run at the correct speed iirc. 

PAL DVDs and VHS actually run 4% faster not slower than NTSC and film. Film runs 24 frames per second, so to transfer to NTSC's 60hz refresh rate you have to telecine the original source into fields. One frame is displayed for 3 fields, then the next frame for 2 fields. This takes the 24 frame source and converts it to 30 frames per second (well, 29.97 really). PAL runs 50 hz so the process is much easier. Instead of splitting fields you just play the 24 frame source at 50 hz. This means each second of PAL video plays the full 24 frames of the original film source, plus the first frame of the next second. As a result 1 minute of the original film is played in 57.6 seconds, or for a 100 minute feature the PAL running time would be 96 minutes. 

5 hours ago, Radish said:

Nah, you can be certain they aren't getting paid by Fulbright or by a tiny emulation-focused studio remaking a Master System game no one in the USA has ever played.

That said I am not generally a fan of those videos unless the developers are entertaining enough (Firewatch with the Idle Thumbs guys being a perfect example). 

I think West are just struggling with lack of staff at the moment. With Dan and now Drew leaving and every week at least someone off sick it's not surprising East are having to pick up the slack. It'll get sorted in time.

6 hours ago, Flub said:

I think West are just struggling with lack of staff at the moment. With Dan and now Drew leaving and every week at least someone off sick it's not surprising East are having to pick up the slack. It'll get sorted in time.

Yeah, Brad is off sick and Jason is on holiday. So it's just Jeff and Rorie just now. 

I thought the guy from a couple of weeks back who droned on about monitors was boring, but bloody Mark MacDonald on this weeks Bombcast is just as bad. He has the voice of a cult-leader but none of the charisma.

I should just stop listening, shouldn't I, and stick to the Beastcast?

On that point about the videos with devs, the last ten minutes of the last jar time mentions that they very explicitly do not get paid for them (but some people think they do because it is so accepted among youtubers) 

8 hours ago, Trumpets said:

I thought the guy from a couple of weeks back who droned on about monitors was boring, but bloody Mark MacDonald on this weeks Bombcast is just as bad. He has the voice of a cult-leader but none of the charisma.

I should just stop listening, shouldn't I, and stick to the Beastcast?

What is wrong with you people? I thought the whole conversation about video game conservation with Peter Brown was one of the most interesting pods I'd listened to in a while. Really knowledgeable people sat around discussing something that in depth was not boring! Maybe I'm just old and out of touch but that stuff is super interesting, far more so than yet more wanking over the latest AAA release like on every other podcast.

Oh you can count the individual fur strands on Aloy's coat, isn't it the best game ever made? Get out, I wanna hear about hunting down cables to get old hardware working at the peak of retro.

16 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

What is wrong with you people? I thought the whole conversation about video game conservation with Peter Brown was one of the most interesting pods I'd listened to in a while. Really knowledgeable people sat around discussing something that in depth was not boring! Maybe I'm just old and out of touch but that stuff is super interesting, far more so than yet more wanking over the latest AAA release like on every other podcast.

Oh you can count the individual fur strands on Aloy's coat, isn't it the best game ever made? Get out, I wanna hear about hunting down cables to get old hardware working at the peak of retro.

Yep, fully agree, I found this one entertaining in a different way to the normal sillyness of the usual Bombcast, same as the one a few weeks back regarding monitors and arcade stuff.

Sometimes it is a welcome change of pace and definitely interesting.

13 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I liked that chat too and love Mark "Gaming Jesus" McDonald actually, because he sounds like a cult leader with non of the charisma. :D

Conversely, I do think the beastcast is better by a mile. Because although I like Jeff he overpowers the conversation in the west.

6 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I was utterly convinced that was going to be a sarcastic post and now I'm just confused.

I wonder if it is an age thing? I have no interest in retro games or the topic of hunting down old cables and monitors, which is why I've skipped a few of the Bombcasts recently.