rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wiper

The Unofficial RLLMUK Awards 2014 - The Polls Are Closed

I have no idea what you're talking about, Rudi ;)

Ah, but that's solved the auto-append system problem, so...

Game of the Year

1. 80 Days

2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall

3. The Banner Saga

4. The Wolf Among Us

5. Dragon Age: Inquisition

6. Super Smash Bros

7. Endless Legend

8. Hoplite

9. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

10. Hyrule Warriors

Surprise of the Year: 80 Days

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Pillars of Eternity

Hall of Shame: Gamergate. Jesus.

Best Visual Design: The Banner Saga

Best Audio Design: The Wolf Among Us

Best Writing: 80 Days

Most Interesting Game: Consortium

And the also-rans:

11. Dungeon of the Endless

12. Broken Age

13. Consortium

14. Danganronpa

15. Transistor

16. Wasteland 2

17. Bayonetta 2

18. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

19. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

20. Styx: Master of Shadows

21. 3D Afterburner II

I won't go into my individual choices as I'll be sticking my oar in to quite an extreme degree come the totting up, but a few broad observations:

• It's been a really good year for narrative games, clearly, with my top five all being variations on that theme. I mean, obviously that's an approach to games I enjoy, but even so that's an unusually high density of great-quality, story-led games.
  • This year also marks a landmark for me in that it includes two smartphone games; in previous years, even when I reviewed smartphone games I would never have had one near a top 10. But this year was something else, with 80 Days in particular just being the most beautifully written interactive story. Great stuff.
  • It's been a surprising year for another system, too: despite there otherwise being a dearth of (non-VC) games I enjoy on the Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros and, to a lesser degree, Bayonetta made the console a worthwhile investment for me. That said...
  • Hyrule Warriors is just a very solid Dynasty Warriors game, and normally wouldn't have graced my top ten, but this year hasn't been quite up to the standard of others; lots of good games for sure, but fewer truly great ones than in some years. Probably a lot of that is a result of this being the start of a new generation, not helped by my not owning said new consoles!
  • Upvote 2

Game of the Year
1. Mario Kart 8
2. Dark Souls 2

3. Bayonetta 2
4. Hotline Miami
5. The Walking Dead: Season 2
6. Shovel Knight
7. The Swapper
8. 80 Days

Surprise of the Year: Open-world Zelda announcement at E3

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Open-world Zelda

Hall of Shame: 'Gamergate. Jesus.'

Best Visual Design: Mario Kart 8

Best Audio Design: Shovel Knight

Best Writing: The Walking Dead: Season 2

Most Interesting Game: The Swapper

Overall, I really enjoyed my games last year. Towards the end of 2013 I was getting a bit jaded with the medium and was considering sticking my 360 in the loft and weaning myself off games entirely so that I could devote more time to things I thought more worthwhile, like reading and watching boxsets. I was completely out of the loop and hardly checked gaming websites or posted on the forum much at all. I think it was reading about Dark Souls 2 that got me interested again and led to me placing a pre-order, a first for me. From then on my interest in games started to rise again, and, currently, I'd say it's my biggest hobby, and certainly the subject I feel most informed about, more so than new films, books or music.

Picking up a Vita in June was great, and completing Fez on it (my game of 2014, not from 2014) was a brilliant experience. Handheld gaming and mopping up some of the later entries in the 360 back catalogue served me well up until December, when I caved and bought a Wii U. Having owned it for about two months now, and despite only playing three or four games on it, so far it's proved itself to be a superb console.

My gaming 'mission' this year is to work my way through the Wii U's roster of quality titles, finish all the 360 games I've still got to play once and for all, rediscover my 3DS (soon to be N3DS) after neglecting it in light of the Vita, and finally make a sizeable dent in the dozens of PC games I picked up left, right and centre back in the spring and haven't really touched since. I'm hoping that I can save myself from getting a PS4 until at least November, but we'll see.

Individual game comments, largely copy and pasted from other threads:

Mario Kart 8: Such a perfect videogame. I don't think I've ever played a game that can elicit such powerful emotions from a player: extremely profane, self-flagellating, red-faced fury one moment, and then fist-pumping, hands-raised-to-the-heavens ecstasy the next.

Dark Souls 2: I sunk 80 hours into this and enjoyed it massively, despite being a complete twat and playing with the guide, eliminating all of the mystery. I guess it's testament to the strength of the game that I still enjoyed it knowing what was around each corner.

Bayonetta 2: After sampling and then discounting DmC, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising and the original Bayonetta, I could never understand the hype that surrounded these types of spectacle brawlers and had convinced myself that I was simply incompatible with this genre. I really felt like I was missing out. More than anything else, therefore, I'm grateful for this game: it's allowed me to appreciate what everyone else was on about. Play on hard and replay each chapter until you get at least Gold.

Hotline Miami: Despite being initially unconvinced, I surprised myself by getting all of the trophies in this, some of which were fucking hard. The music and visual style didn't do it for me as much as some others, but the gameplay and insta-replay design were absolutely spot-on.

Shovel Knight: FOR SHOVELRY!

The Swapper: The best game about committing suicide I've ever played.

• Upvote 2

Game of the Year
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
3. Dragon Age: Inquisition
4. Wargame: Red Dragon

5. The Wolf Among Us

6. The Walking Dead: Season 2

7. Age of Wonders 3
8. The Banner Saga

9. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
10. Wolfenstein: The New Order

Surprise of the Year: Alien: Isolation

Most Wanted Game of 2015: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Hall of Shame: Gamergaaaaate

Best Visual Design: Alien: Isolation

Best Audio Design: Alien: Isolation

Best Writing: Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Most Interesting Game: Alien: Isolation

I'm just going to use this space to gush about Alien: Isolation. I'm amazed it exists. I'm amazed that Creative Assembly made it, of all people, with no prior experience of the genre or anything of this ilk. I'm amazed at how precisely it recreates the feel and atmosphere of Ridley Scott's film; not only that, but how its mechanics allow for a reasonable facsimile of most of the latter half of that film too, in the Nostromo missions. I'm amazed that it was allowed to be made in a time of high-budget licenced games being watered down into an anodyne formula-driven perfectly-acceptable-but-forgettable action game. I love that it's bold enough to let give you lulls, to vary the pacing and gameplay, to give you times where you just soak in the world they've created. I love how they knew the limits of their own AI and used those limits to their advantage, making the alien scarier and more unpredictable as a result. I love the way it does audio logs right for the first time since System Shock 2 (a game for which this is far more of a spiritual successor than Bioshock ever was). I love the writing and character work, which is woven into the environment with such care in a way that, again, reminds me of System Shock 2. I love the perfect sound design, all the ticks and hisses and pops and mechanical clicking of machinery and computers and the muted metallic noises of the alien in the vents above you and the rushing thudding footfalls as it stalks the floors on the hunt. I love watching videos of people playing it on youtube; I love reading people's reports of their reactions to it. I love the way it doesn't rely on jump scares to scare you, and how this makes the few jump scares in the game even worse. I love the tension and the way Amanda Ripley's occasional panicked giggle as the alien catches her mirrors the player's own sense of almost-relief that the tension has been broken.

I don't love everything about it. It suffers from a couple climaxes too many, there are some (short) sequences that should have been cut late in the game, the crafting system is a bit bloated and items have too much overlap unlike something like The Last Of Us (which it's clearly drawing on). But it's easily the best game I played all year and by far the most interesting for me, especially as my expectations for it were... tempered, to say the least. Ahhh. It's a game experience the likes of which comes along rarely.

• Upvote 4

(Am I allowed Walking Dead Season 2? The first episode was released in 2013, but all the others were last year.)

Yep, Walking Dead season 2 is completely fine. I'll put a note in the first post to make clear that with serialised games like that, you can include them as long as they had episodes released 2014 (and that they are counted as a single game).

• Upvote 1

Also, shit, I'm going to have to get over my own terror of Alien and get Isolation, aren't I? Fuck. Guess I'd best get the emergency cocoa on standby.

Game of the Year
1. Dragon Age: Inquisition
2. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
3. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order

5. Destiny

6. Risen 3

7. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
8. South Park: The Stick of Truth

9. Watch Dogs
10. Lifeless Planet

Surprise of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Most Wanted Game of 2015: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Hall of Shame: Hate to mention it because it was such a travesty, but yeah, gamergate.

Best Visual Design: Ethan Carter

Best Audio Design: South Park

Best Writing: South Park

Most Interesting Game: Wolfenstein

Game of the Year
1. Mario Kart 8
2. TXK

3. Bayonetta 2
4. Hyrule Warriors
5. Alien: Isolation

6. Outlast

7. Destiny

8. The Wolf Among Us
9. Driveclub
10. South Park: Stick of Truth

Surprise of the Year: Hyrule Warriors

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Zelda

Hall of Shame: Gamergate, obvs.

Best Audio Design: TXK

Best Writing: South Park: Stick of Truth

Most Interesting Game: Alien Isolation

This is in-progress: more to be added when I can think of stuff... (final positions retrospectively added)

Game of the Year

1. TxK (placed 18th)

2. Ultra Street Fighter IV (placed 30th)

3. Freedom Wars (placed 57th)

4. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (placed 81st)

5. Destiny (placed 2nd)

6. Earth Defence Force 2025 (placed 44th)

7. Demon Gaze (placed 110th)

Surprise of the Year: TxK

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Persona 5

Hall of Shame: Gamergate, natch

Best Visual Design: Freedom Wars

Best Audio Design: TxK

Best Writing:

Most Interesting Game: Mind Zero

TxK

Anyone who's read my posts in certain topics in the Discussion folder knows that I love certain franchises - Street Fighter, Persona, whatever - but I'm also a massive fan of the kind of abstract neon twitch-gaming brilliance that TxK does so well. The fact that it's another update to Tempest matters little - the tube-shooter may as well be a genre in it's own right; a genre where few people try to challenge Llamasoft because things like TxK are so good. The neon colours look amazing on an OLED Vita, the soundtrack has so many memorable tunes from Consciousness is Feedback to Noise Pulse, and the gameplay becomes so varied and busy that it's incomparable to Tempests of old. TxK is unmissable; raw, reflex-based gaming at its best.

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Whilst I'm always eager to defend Capcom's fighting game series for being a lot of fun despite all of the updates, I can't deny that the changes for the last few iterations of Super Street Fighter IV were on a smaller scale when compared to the leap from the original SFIV to the Super update. However, Ultra Street Fighter IV is probably the most significant update since Super. It may not have as many new character additions (5 compared to Super's 10), but mechanics such as red focus and delayed standing offer even more depth to what was already a fairly satisfying beat 'em up experience, and additions such as Omega mode and Edition Select offer a bunch of new ways to enjoy the game.

Freedom Wars

So 2014 was another year that began with people predicting the death of the Vita, and whilst it may not have received a lot of love over the months it still gave us one of the most enjoyable handheld multiplayer games I've experienced since Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the PSP. Freedom Wars saw teams of AI or human players taking down enormous "Abductor" enemies in some intense third-person combat and layered on a bunch of other things to do outside of battle, with admirable customisation options and weapons research and upgrade mechanics. And whilst it's perfectly fine in single-player, I thoroughly enjoyed going online and seeing the crazy weapons and customisations used by other players, as well as teaming up against those harder encounters. Definitely worth a look for Vita owners.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

The first Persona 4 Arena game was one of the most refreshing and unique fighters I'd played in a long time, even if that is because I play nothing but Street Fighter games 90% of the time, so I was keen to see what the next game would offer (so keen, in fact, that I used some spare vouchers to import the game slightly early.) At first blush it looks near identical to P4A - put screenshots of the two games beside one another and you'd be hard-pressed to identify which was which - but things like the extra characters, playable shadow alter-egos and massive "Golden Arena" survival(ish) mode offer lots of incentive to return to the game. You know a game's good when you spend several days playing nothing but Golden Arena and then restart it on a harder difficulty almost immediately after you're done...

Destiny

I was never in a hurry to play Destiny. Bungie released an open beta for the game across all platforms and it came and went without me playing a second of it. Multiplayer Halo already seemed terrifying to me, so news that Bungie were working on a new FPS in a persistent world with MMO elements sounded like something I didn't want any part of. However, the concept of a "shared world shooter" works way more effectively than it has any right to. With players coming and going and everyone working towards the same goal, there's much less of the hostility or foolish behaviour you might find in other multiplayer shooters, and even when you're on your own it's still a lot of fun as a solo experience.

Earth Defence Force 2025

With Insect Armageddon leaving so many EDF fans disappointed, 2025 was always going to be the true follow-up, and whilst its opening missions make you feel like the game's repeating what went before in 2017, it soon comes out of the shadow of its prequel and the new enemy types and player classes come together in truly epic showdowns. However, the inclusion of online co-operative multiplayer for four players is perhaps the most impressive achievement - even if it adds little more than three extra human-controlled players and a revive mechanic - and I enjoyed plenty of lengthy EDF sessions with friends and randoms from various communities. I'm already looking forward to doing it all over again in EDF 4.1.

Demon Gaze

I admit, I probably didn't give this as much time as it deserves (only by recently looking at an FAQ have I found that there was a specific sidequest I needed to complete before I could advance, but previously I left the game gathering dust whilst I was walkthrough-less and confused) but it's quite a fun little dungeon crawl, with lots of looting, mapping, secrets to find in dungeons, interesting demon mechanics and epic boss battles. Some of the writing and art lets it down a bit (some OTT character hysterics and embarrassing portrayals of some of the girl characters not wearing much) but if you look past that stuff then you can enjoy a decent JRPG that's laid down some solid foundations for the forthcoming sequel.

Honourable mentions:

Mind Zero

As outlined in "Most Interesting Game". It did Revelations: Persona, but right... but it still had a bunch of problems.

Entwined

I'll be honest, I didn't think much of this, but I didn't buy tons of memorable games this year so I'm struggling to fill my list with further entries at this point. :P Entwined caught my eye when I first saw the trailer shown at E3 this year. It has some lovely visuals and environments and a cute minimalist narrative, and slowly tracing your way through orange and blue paths feels kind of Zen when you're controlling two characters at once. It also has a fairly nice soundtrack and audio effects that sound great through some decent headphones. Sadly, once you've played through the main story once there's little incentive to revisit aside from maybe the high score challenges, but some might argue that it's still worth recommending just for that first time.

OlliOlli

It was a game that begged to be loved from day one but was initially plagued with random crashes and omissions such as NO LEADERBOARDS... even so, OlliOlli is a wonderfully addictive score attack game dressed in neat pixel art and catchy beats. It has the same "begin, fail, restart" hook that makes things like Trials and Super Hexagon so moreish and every stage is packed full of opportunities for insanely long combos if you're brave enough to attempt them. It's worth noting that I've only played the Vita release, and I'm not sure how the Steam version compares, but the quick-restart gameplay is perfectly suited to Sony's handheld. Hopefully Welcome to Olliwood provides an even better experience for those who found the first game so much fun.

Surprise of the Year: TxK

Unbelievably, this game was never really on my radar and I didn't plan on getting it at first - the main reason I *did* get it was because I had some spare change in my PSN wallet after buying OlliOlli and couldn't think of anything else I might want. At the time I had only seen stills and maybe one or two GIFs, and the images just made it look like a retread of Tempest 2000 (which admittedly wouldn't have been a terrible thing.) However, this surpasses 2000 in nearly every area; the visuals are gorgeous and everything moves incredibly smoothly, the gameplay is excellent, with the game throwing surprises at you all of the time, and the soundtrack is every bit as memorable as those old Tempest 2000 tunes. I was hoping for a fairly fun arcade shooter but I was never expecting TxK to go so far above and beyond the call in pretty much every aspect of the game.

Persona 3 was one of the first games in a while to show me that JRPGs could be more than just huge grinding sessions broken up with non-interactive walls of dialogue text. Persona 4 took the core ideas of 3 and made them part of a tighter, more varied experience, with a great cast of characters and story and some superb presentation. My expectations for Persona 5 couldn't be higher, and even though there's every chance that the fifth game might struggle to match the success of its predecessor, I've still been frequently scouring the web for any details, news or rumours in order to find out more about Persona 5. Each new announcement or trailer renews my excitement and hype for the game, and with the news of a PS4 release on the way as well, it'll hopefully be able to reach current and last-gen fans everywhere. I'm not even that bothered about the lack of a handheld release since I first experienced P3 and 4 on the big screen and they worked fine, so nyer.

Hall of Shame: Gamergate

I'm in two minds about talking about this here - if anything positive can be said about the events that have unfolded as a result of Gamergate, well... it's drawn a lot of attention to fundamental problems with the image of gaming and the misogynistic attitudes that certain groups and individuals still possess. (And it at least provided a few lols with the "actually it's about ethics in games journalism" meme images.) Even so, whatever positive outcome that can be salvaged from Gamergate-related activity is overshadowed by all of the threats, harassment, hate campaigns and other bullshit that has emerged from certain groups and individuals. Most people would agree that gaming hardly has a great image at the best of times, but things like this just seemed so regressive and embarrassing.

Best Visual Design: Freedom Wars

Freedom Wars may not have the most original premise or the most unique backdrops, but each of the environments seemed to fit together really well and give the impression of a cohesive whole. Sure, the game sent you across deserts one minute and then had you fighting in urban areas the next, but it all painted a picture of a unique dystopia with an unmistakably Japanese feel - this was not a world of brown dustbowls and irradiated wastelands, but a world that took you through the cell gardens, around the streets and out amongst the elements. Even the safe hub-like area felt like a natural, believable location, and the daft outfits and hairstyles of your allies and accessories seemed to make sense in this setting.

Best Audio Design: TxK

This was a bit of a tough choice for me, as OlliOlli has a great range of music and some simple but effective board-scraping sound effects for its grinds (not to mention some wince-inducing crunch noises for when you bail...) I could mention tracks of course: You Like, Consciousness is Feedback, Noise Pulse, Machine Code - there are so many memorable tunes that play as you go through each of the 100 levels - but the sound effects are also impressive, from the distinctive crack of a Splitter to the awful screeching of the Pulsar attacks. TxK understands that handheld games will often be played with people using headphones, as the treatment of the game audio is just fantastic, and adds another layer of brilliance to what is already a great shooter.

Most Interesting Game: Mind Zero

Whilst I thought that this game needed more substance and polish to cover-up the whiff of a cheap download-only Vita JRPG, there was still enough in the gameplay to make me play it through to completion after some 60something hours of dungeon-crawling. The first-person exploration and demonic alter-egos summoned from the mind invited comparisons with the original Persona games, but Mind Zero is keen to establish its own identity, and the Charge system (guarding refills Mind Zero's equivalent of Mana or MP, and so you don't have to juggle your inventory and worry about how many Ethers you're carrying) and frequent levelling (I always found that the rate of levelling was pitched really well with the difficulty of the current dungeon, so I was never too far behind with my levels for too long) made battling a bit less of a chore than it could have been. It's just a shame that the story and presentation aren't all that good...

• Upvote 3

Just compiling my list and wondering does PT count as an entry? It's billed as a teaser/demo but I sunk plenty of hours into it and it offered more entertainment than many full price games.

Also not sure if it's too late but how about an additional category for best DLC (and or worst)?

Game of the Year

1. Bayonetta 2

2. OlliOlli

3. Mario Kart 8

4. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

5. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions

6. Octodad: Dadliest Catch

7. Mercenary Kings

8. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

9. TxK

10. Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Surprise of the Year: Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Amplitude

Best Audio Design: OlliOlli

Best Writing: Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Most Interesting Game: OlliOlli

1 - My wife walked in on me playing Bayonetta 2 once and asked 'how do you know what's going on?' I thought about it for a minute and realised I didn't know. The actual processes that my brain was sending to my fingers were completely beyond me. The visual clues, the sound effects, the rhythm were wired directly into my body. This was zone gaming the like of which I had not experienced since Frequency. And then, just when I thought it couldn't get much better, I got a Link costume and everything made Zelda noises.

2 - Occasionally you play something and think 'this was made JUST for me'. OlliOlli is one of those games. Almost 'anti-zone' in the way it makes you feel like your brain is having a fight with your fingers, it has you punching the air one minute and turning it blue the next. And in a year of fantastic soundtracks, this was the very best.

3 - I had long since given up on Mario Kart. My interest had waned after each installment and I had decided to give 8 a miss. Then everyone started going ga-ga for it so I took the plunge. And yeah, it's pretty fucking amazing. The track design is varied and exciting, the online is incredible and the handling is perfect. Oh, and it's the most gorgeous looking game of all time.

4 - Take me to San Andreas and I get boring. The scope is so vast, the missions so plentiful and the horizon so far away that my thirst for experimentation evaporates and I find myself just going through the motions. Ground Zeroes completely turned that on its head. Here was a tiny but dense open world, seemingly lacking in things to do but boasting a huge number of ways to do them. Perhaps lacking a bit of the bonkersness the series is known for, I still think there is a possibility that it's tightness will mean I prefer it to Phantom Pain. Can't wait to find out though.

5 - I procrastinated for about three weeks before firing up this for the first time. Geometry Wars 2 is very high in my all time list and everything I had seen about Dimensions; bosses, power ups, 3D levels; made me go 'urgh'. I really shouldn't have worried. Alright, it doesn't match the majesty of what has come before and alright, the music is significantly worse, but fuck me if it isn't the second best twin stick shooter of all time. Feels so good to be reunited with my mortal enemy; those random- boogie, green square fuckers

6 - There is something about the story of a clumsy outsider, trying to raise a family and complete traditional male tasks without looking like an total idiot that just appeals to me.

7 - Suffered unfairly by repeatedly being compared to Metal Slug, a game it was only superficially similar to, Mercenary Kings has a glorious rhythm to its combat that sinks into your soul and is difficult to tear yourself away from. It really comes into its own once you learn the maps and can bomb about, kicking arse and experimenting with the ludicrously vast choice of gun modifications. The most criminally overlooked game of the year. Give it another go.

8 - Get this out of the way first, Danganronpa is no Virtue's Last Reward. Once you've got that out of your head and you allow yourself to enjoy the game on its own terms you discover a fantastically dark and bonkers visual novel with plenty of twists and turns and punch-the-air eureka moments. The first is fractionally better than the second for my money, but the series is on the brink of something great.

9 - Made to be played with headphones and a Vita held an inch away from your face, TxK is a bit like playing taking all the drugs and doing a magic eye while listening to a rave cassette you've still got from the nineties. It's also really rather funny.

10 - It's Smash again, so it really won't do anything to convince non-converts, but it's also Nintendo in full on kitchen sink mode; sticking absolutely everything that they can into it while miraculously managing to balance it all. The only downside is that Wii Fit Trainer, that icon of New Nintendo, is my main. *Shiver*.

• Upvote 4

Game of the Year

1. Driveclub

2. Alien Isolation

3. Destiny

4. Dragon Age Inquisition

5. Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls

6. South Park Stick of Truth

7. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

8. Tales from the Borderlands

9. Shovel Knight

10. Wolfenstein New Order

Surprise of the Year: Tales from the Borderlands

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Metal Gear Solid V

Best Visual Design: Alien Isolation

Best Audio Design: Alien Isolation

Best Writing: South Park Stick of Truth

Most Interesting Game: PT

Game of the year

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition

2. Bayonetta 2

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

4. Mario Kart 8

5. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

6. The Walking Dead: Season Two

7. Forza Horizon 2

8. Ultra Street Fighter IV

9. Persona 4: Arena Ultimax

10. Surge Deluxe

Surprise of the Year: Wolfenstein: The New Order

Hall of Shame: Gamergate, duh.

Best Audio Design: Mario Kart 8

Best Writing: The Walking Dead: Season Two

Most Interesting Game: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

My predictions:

Mario Kart 8 to take GOTY, Alien second.

Despite being the sequel to Muk's game of the decade, Dark Souls 2 won't make the top ten. Bloodborne will nevertheless be most wanted game.

My predictions:

Mario Kart 8 to take GOTY, Alien second.

Despite being the sequel to Muk's game of the decade, Dark Souls 2 won't make the top ten. Bloodborne will nevertheless be most wanted game.

Before this thread started I already imagined DaS2, MK8 and Destiny being close to the top of the rllmuk polls, but I think I'll be miles off. :lol:

Just compiling my list and wondering does PT count as an entry? It's billed as a teaser/demo but I sunk plenty of hours into it and it offered more entertainment than many full price games.

Yep, that's totally fine. It's no less a distinct game than, say, an indie free to play title, so I don't see why not.

Also not sure if it's too late but how about an additional category for best DLC (and or worst)?

That's not a bad idea, but I'll leave it out for this year's awards. If only because I'm lazy and don't want more categories to count up ;)

My predictions:

Mario Kart 8 to take GOTY

There will be blood. I mean, yeah, it's fine and all, and I could see it deserving the visual design award, but GOTY? Might as well just go the whole hog and just award it to fucking Double Dash :P

This is in-progress: I actually had a list prepared based on the old format but now there are all these newfangled categories!

Sorry! But then...

Entwined

I'll be honest, I didn't think much of this, but I didn't buy tons of memorable games this year so I'm struggling to fill my list with further entries at this point. :P Entwined caught my eye when I first saw the trailer shown at E3 this year. It has some lovely visuals and environments and a cute minimalist narrative, and slowly tracing your way through orange and blue paths feels kind of Zen when you're controlling two characters at once. It also has a fairly nice soundtrack and audio effects that sound great through some decent headphones. Sadly, once you've played through the main story once there's little incentive to revisit aside from maybe the high score challenges, but some might argue that it's still worth recommending just for that first time.

Oi, none of this! I wasn't kidding when I said "don't pad out your game of the year list with mediocre games if you don't feel you've played 10 games that deserve recognition", you know! If you don't think a game really deserves to be in the top 10, don't put it in the top 10! Far better to have a top 8 you think deserve awards, rather than potentially pushing other people's more obscure, but actually loved games down the list, and thus reducing their chance of getting noticed in the final results, all because you felt the need to pad out your list. Shame on you, Qazi!

• Upvote 1

Game of the Year
1. Mario Kart 8
2. Super Smash Bros. For WiiU
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
4. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
5. Hearthstone
6. Hyrule Warriors

Surprise of the Year: Bayonetta 2

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Hall of Shame: Bayonetta 2

Best Audio Design: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Best Writing:

Most Interesting Game:

• Upvote 1

Game of the Year
1. Crimzon Clover World Ignition
2. Destiny
3. TitanFall
4. Driveclub
5. Mario Kart 8
6. Sunset Overdrive

7. Assetto Corsa
8. Super Time Force
9. Velocity 2x
10. Forza Horizon 2

Surprise of the Year: Crimzon Clover World Ignition

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Witcher 3

Hall of Shame: Halo Collection

Best Visual Design: Sunset Overdrive

Best Audio Design: Destiny

Best Writing:

Most Interesting Game: Destiny

Game of the Year
1. Crimzon Clover World Ignition - bit surprised by this, not that it was good, as the original is very good, and it's not massively different - but that some tweeks here and there turned something very good into something flipping amazing, imo comparable in quality to cave stuff, maybe not the best cave stuff but still, that's a big compliment to give a bullet hell game. and that it was released on steam so widely available and for such a bargain price, it's a gaming miracle. and a new novice mode so it's more accessible too.

2. Destiny - the order of the top 3 i struggled with, can't really find fault with crimzon clover or titanfall, while destiny has many faults but the great community from here, old friends, and dudes from another forum, and the really amazing vog raid (and still good but less amazing crota raid) really turned this into something special. despite early disappointment that the crucible isn't a replacement for halo multiplayer.

3. TitanFall - don't really like cod style multiplayer games but this does everything right, really well done. things like having the AI to kill, and having a titan to stay alive in for a bit, make it much less frustrating for someone who is rubbish at cod like what I am. cool game modes too.

4. Driveclub - initially had big problems but with great pgr style handling, no nonsense structure, and timetrial challenges this was right up my street.

5. Mario Kart 8 - return to form for mario kart, i even played online whereas i wouldn't with previous games because they were too much luck based, this was less blue shells, skill played a bigger part. great timetrials too.
6. Sunset Overdrive - jet set radio. the traversal is great fun, the shooting not so much, the game knows this and deals with it well. some ace boss fights. really liked the art style too.
7. Super Time Force - really interesting new mechanic - not used in enough clever ways imo so falls short of greatness - but still really fun game with nice graphics/music too.
8. Velocity 2x - strange one this - played as a straight up shmup it's not great imo, but going for the fast times and perfect scores etc. really makes it. I don't like voting for this as it'll get loads of votes and crimzon clover won't.
9. Forza Horizon 2 - great game still but i was a bit disappointed that a number of small changes took this away from the first one into directions that weren't to my liking. tuning. less proper closed in tracks. more hurdles to get through to get to some timetrialling. still great handling.
10. Trials Fusion - replaced by assetto corsa.

Surprise of the Year: Crimzon Clover World Ignition

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Witcher 3

Hall of Shame: Halo Collection - really looking forward to this, big halo multiplayer fan, knew some people who got x1's to play this, it was going to be like the good old days of sunday night halo - but it was not to be :(

Best Visual Design: Sunset Overdrive

Best Audio Design: Destiny

Best Writing:

Most Interesting Game: Destiny - for the raid

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oi, none of this! I wasn't kidding when I said "don't pad out your game of the year list with mediocre games if you don't feel you've played 10 games that deserve recognition", you know! If you don't think a game really deserves to be in the top 10, don't put it in the top 10! Far better to have a top 8 you think deserve awards, rather than potentially pushing other people's more obscure, but actually loved games down the list, and thus reducing their chance of getting noticed in the final results, all because you felt the need to pad out your list! Shame on you, Qazi!

Oops. :D I needed to do some more amendments anyway as I just C/P'ed my draft list to begin with. I've ditched the last few entries and added them as "honourable mentions" in my comments. Will that do?

Yep, that's totally fine - I don't mind people putting games I don't like in their list, but I'd like at least for the list to be one they believe in themselves ;)

Game of the Year

1. Forza Horizon 2

2. GTAV : first person edition

3. Titanfall

4. Dragon Age Inquisition

5. South Park : The Stick of Truth

6. Tomb Raider : Definitive Edition

7. The Wolf Among Us

8. Middle Earth : Shadow of Mordor

9. Fantasia : Music Evolved

10. Minecraft : Xbox One Edition

Surprise of the Year: Dragon Age : Inquisition

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Forza Motorsport 6

Hall of Shame: Driveclub / Halo : MCC / Assassin's Creed : Unity / Broken games

Best Visual Design: Assassin's Creed : Unity

Best Audio Design: Fantasia : Music Evolved

Best Writing: South Park : The Stick of Truth

Most Interesting Game: Minecraft

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 17

There will be blood. I mean, yeah, it's fine and all, and I could see it deserving the visual design award, but GOTY? Might as well just go the whole hog and just award it to fucking Double Dash :P

I'll probably regret this: what don't you like about it?

You'll get to find out come the actual awards, I'm sure! But I don't actively dislike it, it just feels like... more of the same. Again.

Isn't it best if we move all this other talk into another thread? That way it's easier for Wiper.

Plus, I really need to hear how DataDave can put Bayonetta 2 in his "Hall of Shame".

No, I don't mind talk being in here, just so long as it's not actually mixed in with the votes proper!

And I believe DataDave is the chap who's talked at length elsewhere about loving the original Bayonetta and being bitterly disappointed by Bayonetta 2 (and, indeed, vastly preferring The Wonderful 101), finding it to be too simple, not as technical or challenging as the original.

Game of the Year
1. Mario Kart 8
2. Ultra Street Fighter IV
3. Super Smash Bros Wii U
4. Towerfall Ascension
5. Guilty Gear Xrd
6. Bayonetta 2
7. Sportsfriends
8. Nidhogg
9. Hotline Miami
10. The Last of Us Remastered

Surprise of the Year: Street Fighter V's PS4 exclusivity

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 :blush:

Best Visual Design: Guilty Gear Xrd

Best Audio Design: Mario Kart 8

Best Writing: The Last of Us Remastered

Most Interesting Game: Sportsfriends

Comments will be added later

Game of the Year
1. Mario Kart 8 - Every single time I've played it has been absolutely joyous. Friends have bought a Wii U just to play thing. Sharing tips and shortcuts has been remarkably fun. As fun as the collision boosts of the anti-gravity sections are it does not bring much innovation to the series but it absolutely does perfect everything Mario Kart has always been best at. Tight handling, great tracks and chaotic competition. Absolutely my favourite Mario Kart game.

2. Ultra Street Fighter IV - I was tempted not to include this but I just had to. It's my most played game of the year, even if it was just £10 DLC (with a nice budget retail release for those who skipped the previous entries). A wealth of characters and modes expand on what was already one of my favourite videogames of all time. I expect this game to make yet another appearance on my year-end list for 2015 when the PS4 version pulls in more new players.

3. Super Smash Bros Wii U - I've always been a huge Nintendo fan and I love fighting games so this was always going to be ideal for me. Captain Falcon is the most fabulous man in all the galaxy.

4. Towerfall Ascension - I'd already bought this on Steam but it was so, so good I snapped it up the moment it became available on PSN too. Perfect, single screen four-player gaming like to olden days. The dodge/arrow catch mechanic is incredibly satisfying and the sheer level of customisation available makes it a perfect local multiplayer game. I'm very much looking forward to its Dark Word update.

5. Guilty Gear Xrd - This is a beautiful game. It's long been argued that 3D games simply cannot capture the charm of 2D sprites but Xrd uses Unreal Engine to create 3D models in a 2D style so convincing that most folk wouldn't even realise they're not hand drawn until the camera pans around them with the winning blow is struck. The game itself outdoes its genre rivals with informative tutorials which not only teach players how to perform moves but also when such moves are appropriate in context. If I'd played it more I'd fully expect this game to rise up the ranking in my games of the year but at the moment I'm still awful at it.

6. Bayonetta 2 - Even more OTT set pieces than the original game but also more accessible.

7. Sportsfriends - I hadn't heard of this until the PS4 release and I've still not had a chance to play Johan Sebastian Joust but even then this collection of four mini-games is absolutely perfect. Super Pole Riders provides slapstick hilarity much like QWOP did before it, Bari Bari Ball is a team-based Smash Bros where attacks take a back seat (though not too far back) to the main objective of sinking the opponents' ball in their own side's water. Hokra is a four player puck possession battle of delightful, deceptive simplicity and maybe even the best of the bunch. An amazing local multiplayer game in a year where we saw many of them.

8. Nidhogg - Nidhogg stripped the fighting game genre down to its most basic mechanics in a much purer way than divekick managed. Through its simplicity emerged remarkable depth alongside an intense, procedural soundtrack which matches the intensity of battle. An absolutely essential videogame for humans.

9. Hotline Miami - I waited for the PS4 version to start this and then completed it on the Vita anyway.The nightmare VHS of the game's aesthetic immediately grabbed me and the sudden death/quick restart nature of its gameplay were perfect for my commute (even if I may have accidentally grunted expletives). I am definitely looking forward to the sequel but I could just as happily replay the original. It's a wonderful, wonderful game.

10. The Last of Us Remastered - a simple, satisfying game of survival through stealth, cautious gunplay and exhausting, desperate melee combat set in North America after one of those horrible zombie outbreaks they’re always having over there. There’s still corrupt military types, underground resistance groups and people begging you for quick deaths but the usual clichés are easy to forgive when Joel and Ellie’s stories are so well told.

Had it not been for unskippable story segments souring subsequent playthroughs on higher difficulties (and maybe if I’d spent more time with what seemed like a decent multiplayer mode) I may well have rated the game more highly. It's a very, very good game all the same,

Surprise of the Year: Street Fighter V's PS4 exclusivity - The Street Fighter IV series established itself most strongly as an Xbox 360 title amongst competitive players so it came as quite a shock to see it not only lose its multi-platform status but switch to being a Playstation exclusive. I already have a PS4 so it won't impact me directly but it's a shame the game won't be available to a broader audience.

Most Wanted Game of 2015: Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 - I love Street Fighter IV. I've played its various incarnations for over 3000 hours. I'm looking forward to playing the very same game again against a new batch of people because that's what fighting games are all about; learning your opponent and their habits and how to defeat them. The wonderful Share button oughta make for wonderful moments too.

Hall of Shame: Gamergate - I simply cannot understand the logic of these people.

Best Visual Design: Guilty Gear Xrd - Was very tempted to choose Mario Kart 8 but that game is more a case of exceptional polish whereas Xrd does something very interesting and impressive with its art; an incredibly convincing representation of traditional 2D fighting game sprites modelled in 3D.

Best Audio Design: Mario Kart 8 - The context sensitive sounds and the overall joy of the sountrack itself made me grin until my jaw hurt. Some cute touches in the changes to sounds for the DLC tracks too.

Best Writing: The Last of Us Remastered - The overall story might be pretty cliché but the dialogue was very well done, especially with the Left Behind DLC giving an origin and depth to lines from the main game which might otherwise have been perceived as throwaway quips.

Most Interesting Game: Sportsfriends - A wonderful collection of local multiplayer games. I knew nothing about this before it came to PS4 so sitting down with friends experiencing each game for the first time was an hilarious journey of discovery.

• Upvote 2

Game of the Year
1. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
2. Pix the Cat
3. Desert Golfing
4. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
5. Scram Kitty
6. Trials Fusion
7. Defense Grid 2
8. Guacamelee Hyper Super Whatever
9. Mario Kart 8
10. Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker