IGNORED

Fortitude – New Sky Atlantic show

Silent Runner

Anyone watch the first episode of this? The advertising has been unavoidable for the last few weeks.

It was OK but it felt like it was all over the place and couldn’t really decide what it wanted to be. Is it a Killing style Nordic thriller? A Fargo style character comedy? A Thing style spookfest? And so it didn’t feel like it had a solid identity. And I didn’t really care for the characters.

The cast is excellent; Michael Gambon, Sophie Grabol (horrorshow of a hairdo though), Stanley Tucci. And the setting is fantastic – all snowy wildernesses and low, oppressive skies.

I will probably follow it up but it needs to pick a genre and stick with it.

I lasted less than half an hour and deleted the season link, it was just so boring.

A new show needs to at least get your attention, either with characters or story, it did neither for me, and somehow made me take a real dislike to it very quickly (maybe I'd expected too much with all the build up ads).

Bloke next to me at work did exactly the same and the reviews i read not too positive either

It had a slow start, but left me wanting more by the end of the episode. Agree about the genre confusion - not that things should be pigeonholed into specific niches by any means, but it's not really given the game away as to what is going on, although I'm guessing it will be a murder / conspiracy angle. That said, every time I saw that

mammoth carcass, I expected it to suddenly sprout spider legs and tentacles and emit a terrible hissing noise.

:D

Defintely has potential, but I agree it's all over the place just now. I don't find any of the characters either likeable or have any interest in them at the moment. I'll stick with it for a few more episodes, but if it's a slow drama that doesn't go anywhere soon, then I'm out.

I actually enjoyed its confused personality. Whilst it will obviously need to come together in the following episodes I was intrigued throughout by its odd mix of genres. Admittedly I'm a sucker for stories set in isolated wintry locations but I found the two hours went by surprisingly quickly.

I liked it for the most part, the cut from the boys father having sex and then coming back to the boy being back in bed and having to change his top was a bit jarring. That sheriff must be able to teleport as he kept turning up at each scene, which again means the timeline is either gappy or disjointed.

2nd episode didn't establish much, other than repeating twice that dead people don't decay.

Still don't get why the dull ex-army guy came back with blood on his top. The hotel waitress never referred to it, and it looked like the shed they used was just yards away from his house.

• 2 weeks later...

4 episodes in and it's all so very 'meh', which is disappointing because the trailer I remember seeing showed promise of a decent story.

Doesn't seem to be making any traction socially either, don't think anyone I know IRL is watching it or even heard of it, which is odd given the amount of money they supposedly plumped into marketing it.

I watched the first 3 episodes last night and got quite into it in spite of some dodgy script, strange mix of genres (the tent was genuinely scarey) and plot holes (minor things, not "things to be revealed") at times. Watched 4 & 5 tonight. The scenery is amazing. It's better than most sky originated shows.

How many more are left in this series? Really struggling with it. If it's one or two I'll probably see it through.

Bad luck then. There's another seven episodes yet.

I'm finding it less than compelling. It seems to be crawling along without really getting its hooks into me. Im still curious about the significance of the mammoth remains though, which I suspect are infected with some sort of pathogen. Also curious as to what Beric Dondarrion has been up to.