Sunless Sea - Sailing, Lovecraftian Roguelike

Flub

I must be doing something wrong - my first captain isn't dead yet.

Although more by luck - the game crashed on what should have been a game over; restarted in the previous port and I managed to limp home with only minor cannibalism on the way.

And then I survived two voyages without weaponry after accidentally throwing my deck gun overboard and not realising it. Don't ask.

I spoke too soon - just lost my first captain. What was really spooky is that I died on my real-life birthday (albeit back in 1888).

But I saw loads of places. Is it possible to view any kind of chart in this? The controls on Switch are obscure, to say the least.

There is indeed a map, which gets filled in as you explore. I'm amazed you've got so far without it! Dunno what the Switch controls are though. If I remember right, you lose some of your map 'vision' when you die, so some areas you'd previously filled in will go blank again.

9 hours ago, smac said:

I spoke too soon - just lost my first captain. What was really spooky is that I died on my real-life birthday (albeit back in 1888).

But I saw loads of places. Is it possible to view any kind of chart in this? The controls on Switch are obscure, to say the least.

..... happy birthday?

There's a map that you can use to see where you've been but I think aside from some locations it's procedurally generated so it varies. I've only played it on PC so don't know the controls on switch, sorry.

Ah, no, not yesterday - I meant my captain's obituary text told me I had died on my IRL birthday back in 1888. Felt for a creepy moment like the attention of an ancient god was on me...

But no, it's juuuuuuuuust a weird coincidence. Isn't it?

Bloody hell, there's a map? I travelled to the surface, right across the sea to the East, to the North, along the South shore, had an almost full lieutenant roster, romanced one of them, and visited a dozen islands or more. Without a map.

Ugh, yes, they have guide for the pS4; it's the touchpad for that....

Edit: Minus! It's the minus button on Switch. + to pause. Most of mine is still dark - but I had reached all the way across the map and back at least once (I used the 'correspondent' legacy to inherit the chart; I thought that would keep locations the same, and it seems to have preserved all that I charted).

I was also running at 100% terror at the end - that's what killed me. I was running without a light to keep fuel consumption down. That was a bit of a mistake, too, eh?

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Having bought this (in a pack with Slain and Snakeybus on the Switch for about £4) a while back, I made a start a couple of weeks ago and somehow I’m 50-odd hours in already. Bloody hooked.

Think I’m nearing completion though, and would have finished ages ago if I hadn’t sold all my Searing Enigmas without realising they were 1) necessary to get a Dread Surmise and 2) bloody rare.

Shouldn’t have used all my secrets on upgrades either. Tch.

I got deep, deep* into this at the start of the year. Proper notebook filled with trade routes and discoveries. Kind of went overboard** in wringing every last drop out of the story but I enjoyed the writing and the sense of place so much. Ended up putting over 150 hours in and I did pretty much everything you can do, but I still think about going back to it just to soak up the atmosphere of the world. I have to say though, that Zubmariner completely breaks the balance of the game, and once you're able to start farming flukes the economy goes to pot.

*sorry

**not sorry

I totally missed this at the time. If I’m interested in dipping in…

a) Play seas first? I’ve read that although skies is bigger it’s also a bit more accessible and there’s no huge story reasons?

b) Are either held back on Switch at all? Are they better on Steam or Big console?

25 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

You tried Sunless Skies yet?

I put a few hours in but even though I was excited to go into it, I probably shouldn't have done so immediately after polishing off Sea. Everything that worked a little differently bothered me (a ridiculous criticism for a sequel, I know), and while the combat in Sea was hardly the slickest experience I found Skies to be a bit too chaotic. It is absolutely beautiful though. It's been majorly updated since I played it, with a lot of apparent QoL stuff, so when I swing back to playing slower games it'll be near the first in line for sure.