The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

On 21/06/2020 at 12:02, Ketchup said:

What internet did you have that in 2000 you could download a few hundred megs overnight? Whilst piracy was easy on the Dreamcast I don’t think it was a huge factor and piracy certainly didn’t harm the Psone in any way. The damage was already done before that point.

It came late enough in the ps1s life. I only knew two people with a chipped PS1.

Dreamcast was a different story, anyone I knew who bought one was playing only pirate games. Worse, no chip required. I read somewhere it really hurt the Dreamcast.

Back then hardly anyone downloaded games, instead the got pirate games from markets, car boot sales.

1 hour ago, bplus said:

It came late enough in the ps1s life. I only knew two people with a chipped PS1.

Dreamcast was a different story, anyone I knew who bought one was playing only pirate games. Worse, no chip required. I read somewhere it really hurt the Dreamcast.

Back then hardly anyone downloaded games, instead the got pirate games from markets, car boot sales.

Yeah, this generally was my experience too. I would order the odd game I knew I wanted to own but happily play on cheap-ass CD-Rs that were openly being distributed & sold. 

When I dusted off the DC stuff and catalogued everything properly in recent times I was ashamed to find that we only had about 20 legit games in total..and almost 80 CDs of mostly pirated, often disc-rotted games and collections of terribly optimised emulators bundled with ROMs.

For a console widely seen as one that piracy destroyed it did amass a deep library though. Something near 6-700 unique titles across all regions, mostly over a two year period. It doesn't seem like such a failure in those terms. 

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Didn’t manage a decent bike game in that time though. Suzuki and Ducati efforts are both poor to middling.

I actually played Ducati for the first time tonight, I kind of enjoyed how the bikes handled, however, the tracks are pretty uninspired. Watched a few reviews afterwards, seems to be universally disliked. 

8 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Thoughts on GD Emus from Aliexpress? Do you get what you pay for?

Apparently even the cheapest, latest clones are decent quality and function indistinguishably from legit ones.

Just don't try and update the firmware.

And bear in mind that a couple of games (heavy hitters Skies of Arcadia and RE: Code Veronica) are liable to break from what I understand. If these games are important it might be worth keeping the drive about for them or perhaps shelling out for the high end MODE solution.

• Upvote 1
On 27/06/2020 at 01:20, spanky debrest said:

Apparently even the cheapest, latest clones are decent quality and function indistinguishably from legit ones.

Just don't try and update the firmware.

And bear in mind that a couple of games (heavy hitters Skies of Arcadia and RE: Code Veronica) are liable to break from what I understand. If these games are important it might be worth keeping the drive about for them or perhaps shelling out for the high end MODE solution.

What's a MODE solution?

I've got an Eli express gdvemu. Works fine too.

Why have arcade sticks shot yo in value this year? I bought mine for £30 last year after noticing them slowly creeping up from £20 but now all of a sudden people want £80+ for them!

25 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Why have arcade sticks shot yo in value this year? I bought mine for £30 last year after noticing them slowly creeping up from £20 but now all of a sudden people want £80+ for them!

Someone on youtube did a video? Retro prices rarely make much sense to me. Having said that I would argue that an arcade stick is a must if you own a Dreamcast.

27 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I use a Brook adaptor and a VSHG with mine, and works perfectly. The adaptor is around £30 i seem to remember.

Only useful if you already have an arcade stick of sorts i guess..

5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I think there are more ways for them to be used than ever thanks to adaptors for other hardware, PCs, MiSTer etc. Really excellent sticks like the official DC one will probably continue their slow rise in value.

I've just been playing Power stone, F355 and Virtua Striker on my mac with an xbox controller thanks to Redream. I know 2020 is shit but playing these games feels like i'm in a utopia!

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, g wings said:

I've just been playing Power stone, F355 and Virtua Striker on my mac with an xbox controller thanks to Redream. I know 2020 is shit but playing these games feels like i'm in a utopia!

It's a fantastic emulator, isn't it?

I'm still stunned how Mega Drive and N64 Emulation is not nailed on PC yet ReDream is so close to being perfect (WinCE is hopefully next) you wonder how the team did it.

7 hours ago, Wools said:

It's a fantastic emulator, isn't it?

I'm still stunned how Mega Drive and N64 Emulation is not nailed on PC yet ReDream is so close to being perfect (WinCE is hopefully next) you wonder how the team did it.

it really is. 

gutted WinCE not supported though. If I could play Sega Rally my life would just about be complete.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Surely Mega Drive was nailed years ago?

That's what I thought but trying the top 3 or so MD emulators showed issues with all of them, either graphical corruption or bugs with specific games. If anyone knows of a MegaDrive emulator on PC that's perfect then let me know, gagging to find one!

19 minutes ago, g wings said:

it really is. 

gutted WinCE not supported though. If I could play Sega Rally my life would just about be complete.

One day, we'll be able to hold hands and listen to this track, in-game, as nature intended.

44 minutes ago, Wools said:

That's what I thought but trying the top 3 or so MD emulators showed issues with all of them, either graphical corruption or bugs with specific games. If anyone knows of a MegaDrive emulator on PC that's perfect then let me know, gagging to find one!

One day, we'll be able to hold hands and listen to this track, in-game, as nature intended.

Blast Em is supposed to be an excellent MD emulator; It's often referred to as being 'cycle accurate'.

1 hour ago, Wools said:

I don't have much experience playing with ReDream. But I'm surprised to hear ReDream shows fewer Dreamcast accuracy/compatibility issues than, say, Kega Fusion does compared to a real Mega Drive.

As far as I know, even outdated MD emulators are perfectly playable for almost all officially released games, and the only times you'd notice incompatibilities between emulators and real hardware are:

1. If you're trying to do something that requires really accurate synchronisation (such as playing back a tool-assisted speedrun on a real MD console, TASBot style).
  2. If you're trying to run one of those demoscene tech demos that exploits quirks that are only present on real hardware.

Apparently the Overdrive 2 demo is something that only BlastEm can reproduce properly:

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your thoughts @spanky debrest & @Nick R, oddly enough, BlastEm is the Mega Drive emulator I left on my machine!

I've just spun it up for 10 minutes this morning on Sonic 3 and Streets of Rage and maybe I was being unfair. Playing them again reminded me that the issues I was having was a generally unpolished look to the UI, specific bugs (My Xbox One controller drifts when moved to the right but that issue is not present on any other emulator or game) and some oddities I can't remember if they were present on the hardwear. For example, small blinking lights in the lower left of the screen, maybe a colour palette that can be turned off?

Fair, I'll be using BlastEm safe in the knowledge it's meant to be great. :)

2 hours ago, Wools said:

For example, small blinking lights in the lower left of the screen, maybe a colour palette that can be turned off?

Those dots in the corner exist on the original MD hardware - they're an artefact of the way the console's VDP works. The emulator is accurately reproducing them; it's just that on a CRT, they'd normally be hidden in the overscan area:

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/5069/what-is-going-on-in-the-overscan-area-of-sega-genesis-games

https://alt.sega.genesis.narkive.com/8oMZtkl7/line-of-blinking-dots-when-playing-on-sega-multimega

• Upvote 1

I did not know that, thanks for the info and links, thought I knew a lot about the Mega Drive but never knew the emulator was rendering the overscan area!

Yep, can confirm my genuine Megadrive, running through an OSSC on an HDMI monitor, shows those coloured dots in the lower left.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...