The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

21 minutes ago, Sumire said:

I am pretty new to this, so bare with me. For the GDMU, say if you have a PAL Dreamcast with it installed, do you still need PAL, GDI images, or can you boot any region?

If you use Madsheep's 'SD Card Maker' tool it'll take care of naming folders for GDEMU automatically, making it straightforward to configure your setup (the author isn't hosting it anymore):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jj4bi6mty51lmx1/GDEMU_SD.rar/file

Just now, spanky debrest said:

If you use Madsheep's 'SD Card Maker' tool it'll take care of naming folders for GDEMU automatically, making it straightforward to configure your setup (the author isn't hosting it anymore):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jj4bi6mty51lmx1/GDEMU_SD.rar/file

Thanks so much. I am just learning about all this at the moment. It will be so good to get rid of that GDrom drive soon.

• 1 month later...

Hope you enjoy it! I got a Sanwa-modded Agetec stick recently so I've been diving back into a lot of fighting games. Second Impact is getting its hooks back into me - it's always been my favourite SF game, as a very casual 1P wonder - and Soul Calibur still somehow a dazzling, fresh, cutting-edge technical marvel. A full twenty years after its demise, the DC still feels like the one of the most exciting and vital consoles. (I appreciate that's possibly just arcade nostalgia/'retromania' talking, but my 9y/o stepson gets so much out of it too...)

Managed to snag a copy of Border Down for about half the going rate recently, too. The disc is disappointingly scratched, but it doesn't seem to affect gameplay. I'll have to credit feed to the end and find out! :p

Is there anyway to force VGA mode for games that don't officially support it? I know you can do it with a GDEmu, but what about disks? I have buggy heat and want to play it, but my connection is via an HDMI cable which the DC treats like a VGA output. The full game doesn't support it (Curiously the demo of it on the Dream On disk works fine). 

Some games can be tricked into booting into VGA using a DC-X disc.  The DC-X will boot (you won't get an image over VGA) when the drive stops, take the DC-X out and put the game in. Some games that don't support it, can be brute forced into VGA compatibility this way, but it's not guaranteed. 

These games are VGA COMPATIBLE VIA BOOTDISC (Source: Dreamcast Talk)
Aqua GT
Army Men - Sarge's Heroes
Buggy Heat
Bust-A-Move 4
Cannon Spike
Conflict Zone
Dino Crisis (GLITCH: no videos)
Dragon's Blood
Evil Dead - Hail To The King
Evolution 1 - The World Of Sacred Device
Giant Killers
Gunbird 2
Hydro Thunder
Jimmy White's 2 - Cueball
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (GLITCH: picture is squashed in the upper part of the screen)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits - Volume 1
NBA ShowTime - NBA On NBC
NFL Blitz 2000
Plasma Sword - Nightmare Of Bilstein (GLITCH: picture is squashed in the upper part of the screen)
Resident Evil 3 - Nemesis
Roadsters
Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000
SnoCross - Championship Racing
Spawn - In The Demon's Hand
Sydney 2000
Tee Off
Tokyo Highway Challenge 1
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

37 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Some games can be tricked into booting into VGA using a DC-X disc.  The DC-X will boot (you won't get an image over VGA) when the drive stops, take the DC-X out and put the game in. Some games that don't support it, can be brute forced into VGA compatibility this way, but it's not guaranteed. 

These games are VGA COMPATIBLE VIA BOOTDISC (Source: Dreamcast Talk)
Aqua GT
Army Men - Sarge's Heroes
Buggy Heat
Bust-A-Move 4
Cannon Spike
Conflict Zone
Dino Crisis (GLITCH: no videos)
Dragon's Blood
Evil Dead - Hail To The King
Evolution 1 - The World Of Sacred Device
Giant Killers
Gunbird 2
Hydro Thunder
Jimmy White's 2 - Cueball
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (GLITCH: picture is squashed in the upper part of the screen)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits - Volume 1
NBA ShowTime - NBA On NBC
NFL Blitz 2000
Plasma Sword - Nightmare Of Bilstein (GLITCH: picture is squashed in the upper part of the screen)
Resident Evil 3 - Nemesis
Roadsters
Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000
SnoCross - Championship Racing
Spawn - In The Demon's Hand
Sydney 2000
Tee Off
Tokyo Highway Challenge 1
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

Hydro thunder? Dam it! It doesn't work in VGA through gdemu. Boo.

Is 4 wheel thunder as good as hydro?

As much as Sega are rightly praised for the high number of 60hz DC releases we got over here, it scrambles my brains that they green lit a library of games with a mess of a compatibility matrix across three different types of cable. It's absurd.

Yeah I had to send a JP copy of Giga Wing back to the seller a while ago because it only supported VGA. Thankfully, the PAL version is fine through RGB and has 60hz.

Edit: I do have those, gospvg, but only a CD-R in the case of Project Justice. Keeping an eye out for a sub-£100 copy though. :p

The situation with cables was just weird.  Hydro Thunder can be played through VGA by switching the VGA box off and on at specific points during loading.  Once it's on the game plays perfectly and the colours are incredible.  There's just no reason for Hydro Thunder to be incompatible with VGA , other than the fact that it is. 

Yeah I'm not sure why there aren't just a bunch of patched images floating around. Maybe there are?

I've just fired up my Dreamcast for the first time in a long time. Annoyingly, having survived yellowing for many, many years, it's now gone a horrible yellow colour :(

Can someone remind me what the deal is with PAL/NTSC 50/60hz etc? I think I've forgotten some of the details.

I was hoping to play some back ups of Jp games so I don't have to use DC-X first and swap discs, but these boot up in 50HZ. That's to be expected, right? An original with DC-X is running fine at 60hz.

I suppose I could hook up my Jp DC but I really don't want another console out, especially one connected via a massive step-down transformer.

Is it easy to put a UK PSU into a Jp console? Does it require soldering?

I've also noticed my controller ports are a bit flaky. I know these sometimes go entirely, and that they can take the whole console down with them, but is flakiness common? A little jiggle and they seem to be fine again. Is this a sign that they're going to pack up at any moment?

54 minutes ago, Camel said:

Yeah I'm not sure why there aren't just a bunch of patched images floating around. Maybe there are?

I've just fired up my Dreamcast for the first time in a long time. Annoyingly, having survived yellowing for many, many years, it's now gone a horrible yellow colour :(

Can someone remind me what the deal is with PAL/NTSC 50/60hz etc? I think I've forgotten some of the details.

I was hoping to play some back ups of Jp games so I don't have to use DC-X first and swap discs, but these boot up in 50HZ. That's to be expected, right? An original with DC-X is running fine at 60hz.

I suppose I could hook up my Jp DC but I really don't want another console out, especially one connected via a massive step-down transformer.

Is it easy to put a UK PSU into a Jp console? Does it require soldering?

I've also noticed my controller ports are a bit flaky. I know these sometimes go entirely, and that they can take the whole console down with them, but is flakiness common? A little jiggle and they seem to be fine again. Is this a sign that they're going to pack up at any moment?

A jpn ‘backup’ should boot in 60Hz. Some detect its a pal system and give you the 50/60 selector screen. 

the psus will just drop in to each other. In fact, there’s no reason to keep the original psu in an ntsc machine. 

for the controller ports try cleaning the contacts on the controller plugs. You could try cleaning the contacts inside the controller board but I nerfed one up that way. 

Thanks. It seems you're right about copies; I seem to have some ropey cracks of Under Defeat and Triggerheart Exelica that auto boot into 50hz for whatever reason. I've just tried a copy of Zero Gunner 2 and that's fine. Maybe there was a market for 50hz versions of cracked NTSC games for some reason.

I've now got the DC stick out and a Saturn pad adaptor so I'm going to get stuck into some classics. I may even get the Virtua Twin Sticks out.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

I've now got the DC stick out and a Saturn pad adaptor so I'm going to get stuck into some classics. I may even get the Virtua Twin Sticks out.

I recently reacquired Virtual On and may as well be playing it via semaphore without the twin sticks.

I have the Saturn ones and appropriate adaptor. Many years ago my dream was to nab a second set and have wonderful Virtua On sessions across two Dreamcasts (I have a vs cable too) but it never happened and I'm not sure who I thought I was going to persuade to join me in this weird fantasy scenario.

I haven't used them much.