The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

Have dug my remaining gaming collection out of the garage to setup a little games room, and after crying for days at the amount of stuff I’ve traded in for pennies over the years I plugged in my Dreamcast for the first time in 15 years to be amazed it still works

However the picture is partially washed out looking like the below.  It’s just with the standard RF cable.  Is this likely to be a fault with the machine, or cable?

I haven’t got a controller or game to get past this point

98F4A726-F902-4EB8-8FDA-60625B338A3D.thumb.jpeg.23cfd3a0fd8b0df82a43f53303b3975f.jpeg

38B189F2-8C16-4DB5-87D0-8B8CA1D476DA.thumb.jpeg.a3f633874c2e9ca994be9f130437d59a.jpeg

Difficult to tell from the screen shot. It might be the RF cable. I did have a Dreamcast a few years back that had horizontal lines on the image and almost smears/smudges like your first pic. The cause was a cold soldier joint on the video which a quick reflow sorted.

RF is not going to give you the best image but looks pretty decent in the second pic although I am on my phone so I may be missing something?

I’ve ordered an AV cable which should come tomorrow so we’ll see

Yeah pictures don’t really show it, basically on the boot screen the blue dot & spiral animation is a yellow white colour with only little patches of blue, and in second pic the top section is the same yellow

Fingers crossed the new cable sorts it and I can start building up a collection again

7 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I think I may be deciding to move my Dreamcast on. It’s sitting in a bag awaiting the time to whiten it and degrease the drive rails. I’ll try to post a list/pic of everything that’s with it. 

I very well might be interested in some games

Are you after PAL or NTSC-J? I have surplus stock and am going to be selling some soon; hope it’s not against any rules to put the photos in here, but I am not selling quite yet. A head’s up to those interested.

0QW6p1X.jpg

iM7Ix09.jpg

I'd like Space channel 5 pt 2 when you come to sell it, just lmk when you put it up. Never played the 2nd.....tbh i didn't know it got released on Pal

3 hours ago, bwi said:

I'd like Space channel 5 pt 2 when you come to sell it, just lmk when you put it up. Never played the 2nd.....tbh i didn't know it got released on Pal

2 hours ago, klargon said:

It absolutely wasn’t

This is absolutely the case; it's a booty mcbootleg I think. I'll have a look. It's a nice repro, though. I have absolutely no recollection of when/where i got this!

This is pretty much half of my collection and houses mainly the duplicates. What a system. Arguably a failure, but gave me a couple of absolutely glorious gaming years.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back in the Dreamcast game. My fav console and my main one until I sold it when I picked up a 360 ten yrs ago. 

There’s some games that I want to play again which don’t really exist out of the Dreamcast library, virtual tennis, cosmic smash, bangai-o, project justice and power stone. Mostly I jumped back in as there’s a load of new indie releases on it in 2020/21 and the novelty of playing new releases on the Dreamcast in 2021 was too tempting to pass. The some clever sods created hdmi cables too for it is the icing.

The console which I felt was still pretty modern in 2011 now is feeling it’s age, in design and ergonomics. The baffling decision of Sega to place the battery deep inside its guts when the Saturn had it easily accessed at its rear means that it will never be able to tell the time again. Six Acton buttons, no reset on the console, the wire of the pad coming out from the inside. But there’s something satisfying always about the vmu tucked into the control pad. A cool retro vibe. 

Started on Xeno Crisis, Dux 1.5 and Xenocider and still waiting on Breakers and Ghost Blade and an hdmi cable to make everything crisp.  Xenocider was the game that excited me most, being a very ambitious game, a full 3D 60fps game developed for the Dreamcast. Heavily influenced by space harrier, have yet to really give it a good go. 

Most of my time has been with Xeno Crisis. It’s glorious :) Hard as nails even on easy mode my arse is being kicked. 

A few other new releases I’m keeping an eye on too. Definitely looking forward to the Textorcist and Tough Guys.

Long live the Dreamcast! 

Got myself some new DC games yesterday. While posting this picture I realised I actually own the arcade release for every single one of these games, still looking forward to playing them and seeing new features though.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, carlospie said:

Anyone upgraded redream to the pro version? Is it worth it? I played we'd royal rumble last night, that has not aged well at all!

Yeah. It basically just gives you the option to up the resolution to 4k (maybe more) which is nice but hardly essential. 

On 05/05/2021 at 07:42, carlospie said:

Anyone upgraded redream to the pro version? Is it worth it? I played we'd royal rumble last night, that has not aged well at all!

I think it’s worth it. One off cost and forget about it. 

2 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Anyone else into the indie/home brew Dreamcast scene? I’ve started off with a fair few. Really enjoying trying out newer releases. DCF984CA-E6DD-4684-8BEC-E5D014156932.thumb.jpeg.a99e470b20e4a15afbd52f4d643c577d.jpeg

I've neglected the DC a lot lately but the scene is perpetually healthy.

Of the games pictured - Xeno Crisis was the last one I picked up but man..they made a tough-but-fair Mega Drive gem into an actual monster. I may have played the original too much because I found the DC version a whole nother level of difficult with tougher & faster everything, ambushes, meaner AI, everything. It makes the MD game feel like Kids Mode..which is wild. 

Dux and Ghost Blade left me a bit cold if I'm honest, and Xenocider seems like it owes a lot to Charge 'N Blast (if you know it) but I haven't had the pleasure. 

One of these days I need to get around to trying the remaining Atomiswave conversions (there are about 28 of these in total) as those are mostly superb albeit obviously pure arcade games.

As an aside, the new Sakura Wars Columns 2 translation looks amazing (having loved the original Saturn game). There's always something new and interesting on this console.

I wonder if there’s any chance Joshprod or someone could strike a deal to do proper releases some of those atomswave conversions that would be awesome. 

I really like Ghost Blade, it’s incredibly well produced for an issue title title. For someone who likes shmups but is no good at them it’s great as it keeps the fundamentals simple but with a fair challenge. Dux looks gorgeous and has a banging soundtrack but seems to be missing something or might just be too difficult for my ability. 

I’ve wanted to try the MD Xeno Crisis, see how it runs compared to the DC version. Tough as nails but never felt it was unfair, probably the best indie release in recent years.

Have to give Xenocider more time, it’s definitely impressive how a 3D game and engine was built from the ground up by such a small team. A lot of love and effort poured into the humble DC there. 

Ironic how the easy way to boot unofficial disks on the system, which was responsible for so much piracy during its prime, is the reason why the console is still being kept alive.