The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

You are right, a DC-X can force 60hz in certain cases where a scart lead is used

Since i've been using VGA for the last three years everything boots in 60hz. I don't think a game can run in 50hz vga mode? 

It's interesting because in cases like VF3TB which is Pal 50, playing it over VGA gives a full screen, full speed display but the very bottom of the image is slightly cropped (where it says 'press start' on the P2 side for example, is only half drawn. Only effects this game mind, like the edges of the screen weren't properly programmed. PAL Dynamite Cop or Sega Rally 2 , run at full screen 60hz with no cropping problems at all.

DC was a nightmare for video modes. My DCX boots everything as per the disc, console is 50hz but it boots NTSC games at 60. 

VGA I think is only 60? As said above. 

Tokyo Highway Challenge would boot at 50, no option to choose then switch to 60 if played via RGB when you quite a race back the menu. 

Sega Bass Fishing with rod arrived from Japan, and I thought I could just use the Utopia boot disc to load it on my PAL system, but it crashes every time to a black screen of nothing.

Does anyone have an easy solution to play this JP import on a UK system, that does not involve me buying or ordering something?

Is Sega Bass Fishing one of those troublesome imports? Will Action-Replay work?

I went and dl'd the demo of the ActionReplay disc, and that work. Man, i remember buying an issue of DC-UK magazine before I even had my Dreamcast, because everyone said the demo allowed you to play imports. I'm surprised the Utopia disc 1.2 doesn't work.

Bass Fishing is still as fun as I remember it. I'm worried about the rod though. I know the official rod is silent while reeling (my 3rd party rod back in the day had nice clicks), but it feels a little unresponsive? Like I recall being able to reel very slow before, whereas here extremely slow reeling does nothing. Also sometimes the lure jerks around randomly, as if the mechanism inside might be dirty or not evenly balanced.

Anyone have any experience opening their rod?

2 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

What rod is it? the official sega one ? 

Yes. It flicks the lure out, but then reeling it in feels... sluggish? Not as precise as I remember? I seem to recall being able to turn it millimetre by millimetre, the Fission 3rd party rod, and it would smoothly bring the reel in. But this was back in 2000.

Today I received the official Sega rod, which I have never used before, and it feels a little jerky, the reeling in? Not as smooth or precise, with the odd erratic movement.

I've just ordered a cheap Fission rod off eBay to test actually. Depending on which I prefer I will sell the other, along with the game, since I will eventually have a USB-GD.

Any branded ML2032 battery should suffice, to replace the internal, right?

I have the little caddies that fit CR2032, which I used for my Philips CDI, but the input pins are in strange places, and I don't feel like buying more. I can just solder the replacement bat to the little metal tabs, right?

EDIT:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxell-ML2032-2032-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B00HE282EI/

This is seemingly the only one. A loose thing without packaging?

13 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I have the little caddies that fit CR2032, which I used for my Philips CDI, but the input pins are in strange places, and I don't feel like buying more. I can just solder the replacement bat to the little metal tabs, right?

EDIT:

eBay has lots of ML2032s going around, a lot with replacement quick-swap caddies included. They're very easy to fit - desolder and remove the old battery prongs, solder the new caddy in the same holes, slot the battery in. Stuff like this. Don't get an LIR2032 that some people recommend, they're the wrong voltage or something. The one you link is right.

But if you don't want to replace the caddy, I think the original tabs can work on a new battery. I wouldn't be keen soldering something directly to a battery, but that might just be me.

3 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

eBay has lots of ML2032s going around, a lot with replacement quick-swap caddies included. They're very easy to fit - desolder and remove the old battery prongs, solder the new caddy in the same holes, slot the battery in. Stuff like this. Don't get an LIR2032 that some people recommend, they're the wrong voltage or something. The one you link is right.

But if you don't want to replace the caddy, I think the original tabs can work on a new battery. I wouldn't be keen soldering something directly to a battery, but that might just be me.

Always a bit nervous buying stuff like batteries off ebay, but for just over a fiver worth a go I suppose.

I shall solder that when I come to redo the controller fuse. Cheers for the link! :)

While here I thought I'd also share: EGG is not only a fun little weird RPG with lush hand-drawn graphics, the localisation is also unintentionally hilarious. I bought a lot of American mags back in the day, yet somehow missed this gem?

EGG.jpg

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Always a bit nervous buying stuff like batteries off ebay, but for just over a fiver worth a go I suppose.

Honestly I find Amazon more of a Wild West than eBay these days. It's far from perfect, but there is more accountability on the latter.

Also I've ordered from that seller before and everything was fine.

It is brilliant. I must admit, I've not even got the USB-GD yet, and I'm already massively enjoying getting back into the DC. Had a weird moment where I was about to start a new game and realised: oh wait, there's no need to download or update anything. That is how indoctrinated I've become with modern gaming. It's almost a muscle reflex to anticipate it.

8 hours ago, Sketch said:

EDIT:

I put some pictures up a while back when I did my Dreamcast battery. 

Currently enjoying Cosmic Smash. Seems to be very little information on the net. I couldn’t even find a decent map with all the stage names on. I’m trying to work my way through the various routes to make sure I’ve seen each stage. So far I’ve covered the right hand side up to and including row three, shown below. 

03604DC2-0C75-4CA5-AA6E-A2EF71883A8F.thumb.jpeg.29964bc077434bb9273d8e7476d17ac0.jpeg

Also, I took delivery of a rare Phantasy Star Online kiosk disc today. It plays a fairly long video advertising PSO and also has a couple of other shorter adverts for Sonic Adventure 2 and Samba de Amiga 2000. 

BA178FD9-16A6-40C8-A61B-48F109B8B5E0.jpeg.cb3f14d60fe33a525b8c9e4057f3ca7b.jpeg

10 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Currently enjoying Cosmic Smash. Seems to be very little information on the net. I couldn’t even find a decent map with all the stage names on. I’m trying to work my way through the various routes to make sure I’ve seen each stage. So far I’ve covered the right hand side up to and including row three, shown below.

I have nothing to contribute other than:

GET ON THE COSMIC BUS

(quoted from memory so not sure it says exactly that on the loading/intro screen).

I love Cosmic Smash and the box for it is mighty lovely, I very much regret selling mine back in the student part exchange chain days :D

So my Fission fishing rod arrived today. Turns out the scumbag seller had superglued the orange handles so they don't turn. FFS!

Now I have to return this crap.

We shall see how eBay handles this.

24 minutes ago, klargon said:

Would you like mine? Only has one handle, but it should be fine to use.

The other is... Missing? Maybe. It's a Fission controller? What sort of price and postage?

I wasn’t expecting owt for it. Just perpetuate the community spirit when you get the opportunity. It’s a fission, with a highly satisfying click. I guess the previous owner snapped the other handle off.

My DC has sat collecting dust for weeks. Something fucked up on my GDEMu and it suddenly started freezing on the menu on every run. I have no idea why. Need to get it sorted out. 

Got Power Stone NTSC on MODE running in 480p 60Hz via SCART earlier. This was on my modded PAL console, which was defaulting to 50Hz via RGB SCART. I have the RGC Packapunch cable to thank for a fairly elegant solution:

rgc.jpg.503d6495dcf6c27ba723da1e103d42a8.jpg

The DC now looks lovely again- no bob deinterlacing!- but the aspect ratio is definitely too narrow. I'll need to do some fiddling with the OSSC and the DVDO Edge.

5 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Something wrong with your sd card from the sounds of it. Get a freshly formatted card and just stick one folder on it “00” with a cdi or gdi image in it. 

Weird thing is, it worked for weeks absolutely fine then suddenly froze.

I’ll try your suggestion on the weekend.