The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

I wish MODE forced 60Hz as well. Less of an issue now that I'm forcing 480p but it's beyond frustrating knowing that the console is capable of doing so and isn't. I wonder how feasible it would be for Terraonion to implement it?

I’m not convinced GDEmu will force everything into 60hz. Anyone here have one who can confirm? Isn’t there a PAL DC mod that forces the hardware into 60hz? Maybe you’d need that if GDEmu doesn’t do it. Alternatively, as NTSC games seems to be your goal, you might have to bite the bullet and get an NTSC console.

edit: also I’m surprised there aren’t a load of DC patches out there that fix PAL issues in these games.

Its been a long time but im sure you used to be able to change/trick the bios on the system with DC-SWAT? I don't know if that works if you're not using discs though 

Have you thought about changing the bios? It would probably be cheaper than getting a gdrom clone 

Sure theyre only about 15 quid

58 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

My parents expect me to slowly move all my stuff to my own house now the attic is floored, last time, it was Saturn stuff. This time, more Dreamcast loot!

No idea if the JPN Dreamcast works. I don't even remember owning it!

IMG_7504.thumb.jpeg.89a16aa62b69f19d6446e671a45257ba.jpeg

What’s on the disc on the far left? Are you looking to sell any of this?

It's a dev version of Spiderman. I'm not really looking to sell.

I forgot all about the DC-X boot disk for forcing NTSC and VGA, but PAL Soul Calibur looks great forced to NTSC. ! This is all 480p over SCART using a Packapunch 

IMG_7507.thumb.jpeg.ba4ff3e3b0a6c008de129ae56fd71e95.jpeg

Got a few JPN shooters - Ikaruga, Mars Matrix and Zero Gunner 2, but I never bought Borderdown or Psyvariar. I was a bit fed up with gaming towards the end of DC time.

\IMG_7509.thumb.jpeg.0db8fa0e0af1dea6385adcf09ad187e1.jpeg

I'm gonna put an ODE and replacement power supply in this one. It's been sitting uncovered in an attic for over a decade and sounds... rough... I'll also need to do the battery holder and polyfuse shite.

Tomorrow, connect to CRT and play some House of the Dead 2!

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Is it easy to change the PSU on a DC? I’ve got a Jp DC too and step down transformers are so 2002. Does a Pico require any soldering?

Piss easy, one screw on the original PSU, new one slots on where the old one lived.

The cheapo ones all over eBay are fine, the ones using actual Pico PSUs are great, and Rexus Nexus' ones are brilliant too.

After almost a year and 4 botched attempts and consoles, I finally managed to mod my dreamcast with the DCHDMI mod successfully. Picture looks absolutely fantastic, however I have ran into another problem. Some games have messed up audio and its just loud static noise instead of music. Worst offender is Sega Rally 2, have tried 4 different gdi rips and all of them have the same problem in the same places, not sure whether it is a problem with the MODE or if I hadn’t soldered a connection correctly, but looking at the DCHDMI menu it appears there are no problems and other games play perfectly with no audio issues. Has anyone else had similar problems using the MODE?

10 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

So you're endorsing the Rexus Nexus PSU and the USB GD ROM @ianinthefuture? This JPN Dreamcast was a nice surprise, so I'm going to give it some tlc and upgrades and keep my original PAL model with a GD ROM, because sometimes it's nice to use disks!

I've not used their Dreamcast PSU, but I've had ones for both PS1 and Saturn and they were among the best replacements I've had. I've ordered their N64 and PS2 ones recently, as I trust they'll be just as good.

And yes, I do recommend USB GDROM.

If you've got the £/$/Euro symbol, I'd also heartily recommend a DCDigital. Loooooovely bit of kit.

Good good, I've ordered one of the PSUs, some new rechargeable batteries with holders (for my PAL and this JPN project machine) and a fan replacement that works with a VA0 Dreamcast for added silence when I get an ODE for it.

Next up, USB GDROM.

DCDigital. Maybe one day - I've got everything going into a RetroTink 5x and a 480p SCART cable. Despite the analogue to digital conversion, it looks amazing.

Finally got my dc digital mod fixed, turned out that there was a bit of solder connecting two pins on the audio chip, now its working perfectly :)

Played a bit of Dynamite Cop this morning, this has not aged well at all lol, graphics are janky and the character designs are certainly something, definitely a game of its time which certainly wouldn’t be made today. But its still fun and the golden axe reference certainly put a smile on my face. 

I also bought the retro fighters striker dc pad and it’s definitely a big improvement over the original pad, its not perfect, but its probably the best pad you can get on the DC. Hopefully they make a wireless one in the future considering theres been nothing but silence for retro-bit’s official DC controllers.

10 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Nice! All those digital mods are tricky looking installs. 

Yeah I made a lot of mistakes and ruined 4 consoles in the process, twice was because I bought the wrong solder flux as there was an error in the Japanese translation (couldn’t order any from America so had to use the Japanese brands which have zero English on the labels). The other times I just rushed it and messed up the flex cables. Would have been way cheaper for me to pay someone to do it but I learned a lot and my soldering skills have certainly improved. Its funny as I managed to do the N64 HDMI mod first time and have done several GBA mods so this one was by far the most difficult. Well worth it though, the picture quality is simply amazing.

I’m looking to change the battery on my Dreamcast soon. Get rid of the slight annoyance of having it display the time/date settings every time I power it on. The YouTube vid I’ve seen had made it look simple even for a complete soldering amateur like me. Question, is it actually easy or just deceptively easy? 

It is pretty easy, but you need the right tools and to take your time. 

Getting them out is the trickiest part, but even using the iron to lever the legs out bit by bit and some braid to suck up the remaining solder will do the job.  

Get a holder and make sure the battery you use is a rechargeable one. 

For people asking about forcing 60hz you might already know this, but with most DC ROMs you can pretty easily hex edit them (find replace a string) to force 60hz on pal consoles. I did this on tons games. Just Google it.

28 minutes ago, Camel said:

Given that info ^ I’m surprised there isn’t a big repository somewhere of patched DC images set to run at 60hz on PAL machines.

I've a lot of patched cd ROMs in the attic, including ikaruga. I even started labeling the cd with "60hz" if I'd patched it. It's really easy to do the patching, though it I recall it took a while to find the right way to patch virtua fighter 3 for some reason. Also once I moved to using a VGA cable it became mostly pointless. 

This Reddit post is a bit limited as there are some games that required different string replacements.

After recently starting Phantasy Star Online 2, a couple of days ago I went back and played the DC original and have already racked up 10 hours play time in two days, the game looks absolutely stunning on an OLED, the music brought back a lot of memories and the game is still as addictive as ever. I’ve really struggled to get into PSO2 so far and it’s nowhere near as fun or addictive as the original.