Nex Machina - Robotron meets Resogun (PS4/PC)

MW_Jimmy

I noticed this was £9.99 in the current sale, which reminded me that I still hadn't gotten round to buying it. So, I did, and just went through World 1 on Rookie. Shit, son, this is some goood stuff! Nowhere near all the humans, but at least got a No Death in my first ever go at it. Immediattely, upon starting World 2, I sense the difficulty ramps up. This ... may consume me for some time. Of course I've shared the first world on Facebook, in the vain hopes that it turns some others onto what is a quite spectacular shooter.

• 5 months later...

I've played this for less than an hour but can tell it's going to awesome. I got up to the fifth world on Rookie difficulty before I stopped playing, although I did see the continue screen a few times before that point. Managed to defeat every boss on my first go, though!

I think I'm going to try to complete the game on each difficulty level before I start thinking about going online with it. Soundtrack is great too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Poor Stanshall, I thought it was slightly unfair of them to read out his critique at the top of the show like that.

"Now, before we get started with your birthday party, Timmy, I'm just going to read out this missive from Anthony entitled `10 reasons why I hate you`. I think it'll add a nice new perspective to the proceedings, then we can all have jelly!"

I got bored after that bit. I'm sure it's good and they're all lovely chaps but I wasn't in the mood.

The bumping of the thread reminded me to finally get around to capturing my high score in experienced.
Then I remembered why I kept putting it off. It was because youtube absolutely hates this game and I would have had to capture a 40 minute video at a much higher bitrate than normal and then spend a bloody month uploading it on my crappy internet.

So here's an experimental film entitled "The impressionists kaleidoscope" instead.

Pfft, that “clippa” user who made the video needs to experience the horror of trying to render a high-quality video whilst the PC fans go apeshit and the whole system threatens to reset at any minute. ;) It’s one reason I’m sometimes happier taking the quality hit with capture stuff on consoles.

I've since put a few more hours into it, taking it a bit more casually and then reverting to the safing the humans because I'm somehow programmed to do exactly that. Finding the secrets is also of mild interest. I will have to conclude that while I understand better what people enjoy about it, it does nothing much for me. A big part of it is that I don't really like twin stick shooters, on reflection. I thought I did but the ones I do like are probably the exceptions. I also think there's far far too much visual noise for the game's own good. 

33 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

safing the humans

:lol: That does my head in so much "all humans safed"

It's fine for the first few levels but when she's been doing it all night, you really have to say something.

Maybe you're trying to run before you walk? I think I just played it like a regular twin stick before going "aaaah, right!" and "ooooh, now I see", the game is very good at teaching you all the mechanics by stealth and things fall into place very naturally.

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

It’s one reason I’m sometimes happier taking the quality hit with capture stuff on consoles.

Try nvidia shadowplay (or whatever they're calling it this week), it's the same as the consoles, all the heavy lifting done on the gpu, no input lag, no performance dent, it's great.

I just forgot to crank everything up when I was capturing. I just leave it at 720p, 10mbps as my internet is crap and it keeps the filesizes down. It's usually more than enough for the games I play but nex machina is a bit flash, bang, wallop, where are the biscuits?

You're very likely right about it. I imagine I'll look back on that C&R feedback and wince when it becomes one of my favourite games ever in a couple of years but that's defo where I am with it now. I'm pretty sure that I'm either approaching it with too many preconceptions about how the genre 'should' be played or that there's just too much for me to process simultaneously. As much as bullet hell stuff is deliberately overwhelming and intense, you're not really spinning plates. It's a singular thing, really, and that suits me as a simple man. 

36 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

You're very likely right about it. I imagine I'll look back on that C&R feedback and wince when it becomes one of my favourite games ever in a couple of years but that's defo where I am with it now. I'm pretty sure that I'm either approaching it with too many preconceptions about how the genre 'should' be played or that there's just too much for me to process simultaneously. As much as bullet hell stuff is deliberately overwhelming and intense, you're not really spinning plates. It's a singular thing, really, and that suits me as a simple man.  

Yeah, it might happen. It was all valid criticism, it sounded so similar to the reasons why I bounced off ikaruga that I'm contemplating buying that for a third time and giving it another chance in the next steam sale :lol:

Absolutely. It took me years for that to finally click. I played it way back when on DC at my mate's, nothing. XB 360, nothing. Arcade, nothing. XB1 backwards compatibility, nothing. Switch...all-consuming deep button pushing in my lizard brain. Hoping Nex Machina hits that spot around 2026.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is on EA Play which is accessible via GamePass on the PC.

I've been meaning to play this for a long while and its bloody fantastic! Lovely sounds and visuals. Robotron on steriods... Marvellous intense gaming. 

Can't believe its nearly 4 years old(!) and its a shame it never made it of the PC/PS4 onto other platforms. 

12 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

You can see the dna carry over into Returnal. Shame it’s not part of EA Play on PS4.

:) I'd love to have a play on Returnal as loved Housemarques previous efforts. Resogun was the standout game for me on PS4 for a fair while during the launch period. Of course Super Stardust on PS3 too. 

Hopefully Returnal might make it to the PC at some point so at least I can give it a try. Although not sure at £70.