IGNORED

Guillermo Del Toro's Crimson Peak - Chastain, Hiddelston, Wasikowska

Goose

I could have sworn there was topic for this. Nothing in search or via Google.

Anyway, in a surprise move, this trailer was attached to 50 Shades of Grey. Almost nothing has been heard of it apart from that it was a haunted house story, set some years ago...

Legendary Pictures’ CRIMSON PEAK, a co-production with Universal Pictures, is a haunting gothic horror story directed by the master of dark fairy tales, Guillermo del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth, Hellboy series, Pacific Rim), written by del Toro and Matthew Robbins and starring Mia Wasikowska, Jessica Chastain, Tom Hiddleston and Charlie Hunnam. In the aftermath of a family tragedy, an aspiring author is torn between love for her childhood friend and the temptation of a mysterious outsider. Trying to escape the ghosts of her past, she is swept away to a house that breathes, bleeds…and remembers. Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni, del Toro and Callum Greene produce, and Jillian Share executive produces.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man, this was so disappointing. When it was good it was really good but there's much boring stuff that it smothers the whole film.

The first 30 minutes are excruciatingly dull. All this faux-Victorian dialogue and flat acting. When things shift to England I thought the pace would pick up but we just got more slow, meandering scenes between the three leads intercut with the rubbish American scenes.

I was hoping there would be a twist or some new approach but it all played out in a really predictable way.

Crimson Peak itself was amazing, a perfectly realised gothic pile on the slide but there was some really ropey CGI. Del Toro really loves that smoke-y, liquid blood effect, he's been using it since Backbone and it looks really bad.

The cast did their best with some atrocious dialogue that made the screening I was in laugh a lot. The story was so convoluted and made no sense - even in a World where ghosts are real.

When it all kicked off in the last 20 minutes it was lots of fun. Jessica Chastain tearing around the house with a cleaver and shrieking like some mad banshee was fantastic. But I was so bored at that point I wanted it to just end.

Two turkeys in a row from Del Toro. Heartbreaker.

It's been such a good year for films, in part because of the recommendations coming from this very forum. Thus, I don't care what Stephen King thinks, the man's a cunt. I value the RLLMUK hive-voice when it comes to films now more than anything.

This ain't sounding too hot so far. Gutted. We might still check it out as there's nothing else on.

I on the other hand loved it and thought it managed the Gothic-Horror-Romance perfectly, with Hiddleston in particular managing to find the perfect balance between camp melodrama and genuine pathos. Chastain finally finds a role where she can have a bit of fun and even Hunman was good! It's not scary at all but it's still a fine romantic ghost story.

There was one walk out at my screening, an elderly couple who all but ran out after

the sink scene. Absolutely brutal!

I'm fully prepared to watch this again and love it, but my first viewing I have to say I was disappointed. And I've liked everything he's done before. Even Mimic.

It's just so slow and indulgent. I was amazed to discover it was only two hours, it felt an awful lot longer. Ironically for a movie that owes something to Roger Corman it really would have benefited from having a third of its running time cut. The entire first act in New York and all of its characters could have been dispensed with and any relevance it had to the story handled with a quick expository narration. That sounds inelegant but considering it exploits that trope anyway they might as well have spared us half an hour of tedium. The Fall of the House of Usher begins with him just rocking up to the house, wee story underway!

Rebecca is another obvious influence, the movie has almost identical structure. I do remember finding Rebecca a little slow too but that movie keeps the first act more straightforward, Peak throws all its elements in right from the start. In which case maybe it would have worked better to have nothing more than Hiddles and Wasikowska making doe eyes at each for half an hour and save all the murder and mystery for when we get to Crimson Peak itself.

Also that fucking mining machine. How the fuck was Jessica Chastain not crushed to death in it? We had Chekov's pen where was Chekov's victorian industrial equipment?

I pretty much loved every minute of it. I really liked the beginning section as it built all the main characters nicely. Plus, I think a slower opening act is pretty key for a gothic horror romance like this.

What makes this film so unique is that I just can't imagine anyone else but Del Toro making something like this. Although it obviously recalls movies of the past, it still feels wholly original, and wholly Del Toro.