Aliens sequel proposed by Neil Blomkamp: Now on indefinite hold!

Harsin

In hindsight it was kind of ballsy for Cameron to end Aliens with the creatures and their origin being wiped out in an enormous nuclear explosion, knowing it would doom future sequels to finding lost monsters at the bus station or down the back of the sofa.

Nah, the distance from ground zero and general terrain of that place would probably see the ship survive. Worst case scenario, we get radioactive facehuggers leading to messed up mutant offspring with mouths inside their mouths inside their mouths.

Lee Brimicombe-Woods' Colonial Marines book goes into this, the ship is behind the Illyum range and therefore doesn't get vapourised. Unsurprisingly Rebellion used it as the basis for the AvP games they did.

Nah, the distance from ground zero and general terrain of that place would probably see the ship survive. Worst case scenario, we get radioactive facehuggers leading to messed up mutant offspring with mouths inside their mouths inside their mouths.

in the film they say the blast radius is gonna be about 30 kilometres I think.

Bishop (a robot, so probably literal) says the area is going to be a "vapour cloud" the size of Nebraska. A vapour cloud is the mushroom cloud of a nuclear bomb, as far as I can tell. Nebraska is about 200 miles wide. That's the distance from London to Manchester. And that was just the fucking explosion.

So yeah, unless they travelled for days to the derelict, it's gone bye-bye.

But that is a total nerd fest answer.

One way to do it, as games have done before, is to set it between Aliens and Alien 3. Perhaps a lot of shit went down between Hicks and Ripley and Newt before Alien 3 and they re-entered cryo-sleep at the end of it. The film could explain the tedious mystery of why there is a facehugger on the Sulaco at the start of Alien 3 (though I think it's perfectly understandable the Queen brought it there anyway to be annoying).

But Elysium was a really shit movie, so it's down to Chappie to save the director's rep for me. D9 was great, but there was nothing scary about it, and an Alien movie needs to be scary as well as action packed.

Bishop (a robot, so probably literal) says the area is going to be a "vapour cloud" the size of Nebraska. A vapour cloud is the mushroom cloud of a nuclear bomb, as far as I can tell. Nebraska is about 200 miles wide. That's the distance from London to Manchester. And that was just the fucking explosion.

So yeah, unless they travelled for days to the derelict, it's gone bye-bye.

The restored scene in Aliens SE makes the Newt family excursion seem like a significant endeavour. It's a whole planet - it probably was quite a trek to the derelict. Otherwise someone would have just seen it on the horizon as soon as they arrived.

Nah, they didn't know where it actually was, did they? It's only once Ripley returns years later that they discover it's practically under their noses all along. Now consider the shitty, shitty weather on the planetoid, the general freakishness of the landscape in terms of rock formations and say for arguments sake that the derelict is at least a hundred miles away, you'd never notice it unless you were right on top of it. And given the atmosphere was toxic for so many years, who the hell's going to go exploring in that place? You'd just stay close to the colony and processor. The dude in charge even comments that the Jordans were sent out looking 'last week', so it's hardly just around the corner, is it?

Even if you add the events of Isolation,

WY only know there's an alien because one of their sleazebags is on the station and discovers the situation with the chestburster in Medical, where upon WY buy out the owners to try and get it. WY don't know what the Nostromo flight recorder says so they never know which planet/system has the derelict. Plus the guys who did find the flight recorder (and later the derelict) disabled the warning beacon (funnily enough, this is about the third game or story where someone's done that, think it's even mentioned in the original film's script or novellisation that Dallas disables it too) and probably wiped the data from the recorder itself as a precaution, so there's nothing for WY to go on.

I seem to recall Ash mentioning that the Company knew exactly what the distress signal from the alien derelict was. It was "very specific". This was before the Nostromo set off and why Ash replaced the original science officer two days before they left. I guess it depends on what Ash may have transmitted back (if anything) and what the Company took from the Nostromo's apparent loss.

That's what you get when you don't nuke it from orbit. You just can't be sure.

This post deserves more pos love.

In hindsight it was kind of ballsy for Cameron to end Aliens with the creatures and their origin being wiped out in an enormous nuclear explosion, knowing it would doom future sequels to finding lost monsters at the bus station or down the back of the sofa.

I don't know why they've never introduced another ship. It seems unlikely the Space Jockey ship in Alien is the only one in the universe, after all.

You'd imagine it's conveniently close to the colony, it was the whole reason for the company building it on that particular planet in the first place, right?

We now know that an explosion of that force would simply cause the spaceship to roll around on its side like a big donut.

Looks like it's going ahead, he just posted "Um... So I think it's officially my next film" and there's a story on Variety saying the deal's been done.

Personally, I'd still lean towards preferring to see The Strange Adventures of Mad Lizzie and her Pet Robot Head on Engineer World: Black Goo Boogaloo instead but hey, let's see what happens.

Edit: oh sweet, Black Goo Boogaloo is still ON, motherfuckers! First that, then Blomkamp's.

From Comingsoon.net -

UPDATE: 20th Century Fox has since confirmed the news, clarifying that this is, indeed, a sequel to the original Alien franchise and not the Prometheus sequel currently set for release March 4, 2016.

UPDATE 2: Ridley Scott to produce both this and the Prometheus sequel.

why there is a facehugger on the Sulaco at the start of Alien 3 (though I think it's perfectly understandable the Queen brought it there anyway to be annoying).

:lol: "To be annoying" - my new favourite explanation for why the aliens do what they do.