IGNORED

Pokemon Shuffle - 3DS. F2P. IAP and timer heavy

Flub

This turned out to be pretty disappointing. There's actually a good game seemingly buried in there. One that I'd probably have happily paid for. I like match 3 games and I like catching Pokemon.

I don't like running out of goes by the time the tutorial ends and having to wait 30 minutes for another go. I don't hate f2p and iap games. I play enough of them. But I'm a grown up and can make these choices. It seems a bit iffy in a game that will appeal to kids though.

Out today on the 3DS and as far as I can tell it has no 3D.

I must confess that I'm enjoying it. Personally I'm happy to play 5 lives and wait for a couple of hours before playing again. After all, there's plenty more to play on the 3DS in between match three bouts...
Being used to the mobile gaming market's monetisation stance, I have no hatred toward In app purchases as long as the game is not crippled by its integration. Now, if they'd have included in app adverts... Grrr.

But, you can play when you want. Ran out of hearts? NO PROBLEM! Just fork over £0.89p per jewel, buy 5 more hearts, and continue! Or, splash £42.99 and get 75 jewels. That works out at just £0.58p each, which I'm sure you will agree is an utter bargain.

However, it's not quite as bad as it seems. Because anyone who downloads it and activates StreetPass is likely to send hearts and jewels. (Or, you know, not particularly.)

Personally, I prefer Puzzle & Dragons for this particular gameplay mechanic, which is why the forthcoming Mario version holds much more appeal for me.

Surely it's crippled by the fact you can't play when you want, though.

That may be true, but I've spent over an hour on it so far obtaining three jewels in-game that have let me have 5 more goes each.

Definitely won't spend any money on this, but I'll play so long as it seems possible to do so.

I'm being a little facetious. I don't even own a 3DS yet. But I dislike micro transactions of this nature. It'll probably make millions.

As I said - I've no intention of giving it any money :)

I don't mind, in principle, IAPs for lazy people who want to make the game easier or to skip to the end. I'd never buy them, but more fool them if that's what they want to do. I do dislike IAPs that are there as a wall to progress. So far, short of having to wait half an hour for more turns (which I've not actually needed to do, and it counts down while you use your current turns anyway), this is just a free IAP-less Pokemans match 3 puzzle game. If it carries on like this, then I'm more than happy.

If I find it decides at some point I need to wait 24 hours before I can play again, then it can fucking do one.

Spend coins to get a Great Ball to up your chances of catching x pokemon! Buy coins with real money!

You've run out of moves! We only gave you 5 this stage/that Mew your up against is terribly high level. Buy more moves!

The music is also terribly French.

It can go die in a fire.

I had two jewels by the time I fought that Mew. A jewel buys you 5 extra turns at the end of a fight. By using both, the Mew was down. With a 4% capture chance, that went up to 14 with my remaining move. Unsurprisingly, I didn't catch it. I suspect that nobody is going to be catching that thing without spending some real money. Fair play to them, let people who want to do that. I certainly won't be.

I had two jewels by the time I fought that Mew. A jewel buys you 5 extra turns at the end of a fight. By using both, the Mew was down. With a 4% capture chance, that went up to 14 with my remaining move. Unsurprisingly, I didn't catch it. I suspect that nobody is going to be catching that thing without spending some real money. Fair play to them, let people who want to do that. I certainly won't be.

When I fought Mew I had 24% capture rate. You can also buy better balls (lolz!), and, it looks like if you beat them and a chain carries on afterwards, that increases your capture rate too.

Does you chance of capture go up if you go back to the level and beat them again? That's normally the other side of F2P. A large grind or pay some money to skip it

The number of moves you have left gets put onto the capture rate, but the amount of damage each move does relies on the combo you manage + the level of your Pokemon, which seems to be the grind aspect here. I'd imagine stuff like Mew is easier later with a high level team, much like playing actual Pokemon.

Puzzle & Dragons which is also F2P is still so much better then this, though.

In my experience with F2P games is that early on they're quite generous with free currency but that it slows right down the longer you play.

Yeah, you're right, and I expect the "wait 30 minutes" to increase too. But we'll see.

What? I thought the 3DS was immune from that smartphone / Facebook pay to get ahead bollocks. Shows what I know. I am saddened by this.

I wonder if this game is an attempt to address those who are constantly badgering them to move their games onto mobile. Here is an example of a game adapted to that market. This is what we'll get if Nintendo do what the analysts are demanding.