IGNORED

Amiga Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Think you need to point winuae at the system.hdf file so it maps it as a hard drive on the emulated amiga. Think there's a hard drive tab or drive tab when you first start up winuae and you can select the hdf file in there. 

1 hour ago, Goose said:

I've found a huge Amiga archive, full of demos and such. I've downloaded and extracted it, and it comes with WinUAE. 

However, there are no demos included, yet the file was over 5 GB. When I looked at the files, there's a directory with a single file in there, which is labelled System.HDF.

I've tried opening this file, and it extracts about 20 folders and files, but it's nowhere the size of the original file itself. The extracted directory is about 200MB, but the system.HDF file is close to 5 GB. I'm using 7-zip to open it and it doesn't seem to give any errors. 

Any idea?

Is this from Amigacity?

I've recently started listening to Lorfarius excellent podcasts (love them btw and I will try to remember to leave a 5* star review next time). Anyhow, I was listening to the list of Patreon supporters at the end of an  episode and I heard a name of a colleague who sits in my office (but who'm I know is not on RLLMUK). I went and asked if it was him and sure enough it was. Small world! Also goes to show how popular the podcast is. I'm very late to the party.

On 06/04/2019 at 06:33, Goose said:

I've found a huge Amiga archive, full of demos and such. I've downloaded and extracted it, and it comes with WinUAE. 

However, there are no demos included, yet the file was over 5 GB. When I looked at the files, there's a directory with a single file in there, which is labelled System.HDF.

I've tried opening this file, and it extracts about 20 folders and files, but it's nowhere the size of the original file itself. The extracted directory is about 200MB, but the system.HDF file is close to 5 GB. I'm using 7-zip to open it and it doesn't seem to give any errors. 

Any idea?

HDF an Amiga hard disk file format, which allows you to make a backup of your Amiga HDD (which I presume is what someone has done - likely with all the games installed as WHDLoad games). There's an utility here:

http://www.generationamiga.com/2018/04/15/hstwb-v1-2-0-released-easily-build-amiga-hdf-or-directory-images/

4 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I've recently started listening to Lorfarius excellent podcasts (love them btw and I will try to remember to leave a 5* star review next time). Anyhow, I was listening to the list of Patreon supporters at the end of an  episode and I heard a name of a colleague who sits in my office (but who'm I know is not on RLLMUK). I went and asked if it was him and sure enough it was. Small world! Also goes to show how popular the podcast is. I'm very late to the party.

Amiga, bringing people together :lol: Man what are the chances!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would anyone be interested in a couple of A500s I have?

One is a PLUS model which has the ECS and Kickstart 2.0. Both have RAM expansions under their trap doors so expect they'll both be 1MB! Not sure if there are any boot disks for them and definitely no manuals or boxes.

I am currently going through what left of my retro stuff and have these and a bunch of disks to go with them.

I will be testing this week (not sure if I have a screen but can check they boot and power on). Think I have a SCART lead. 

Only have one PSU too.

PM if interested. Don't want much for them so make me an offer! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit of an odd question but someone here might know? I thought I'd try and get Amiga emulation running via Retropie so will be needing the Kickstart roms. I've had them in one form or another countless times over the years but goodness knows what packed away old HD they're sitting on.

Cloanto appear to be selling them cheaply, via of all things the Android store, which I've never used before. Does anyone know if there is a way to buy the app without having an Android device? And then simply extract the kickstart roms?

13 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Bit of an odd question but someone here might know? I thought I'd try and get Amiga emulation running via Retropie so will be needing the Kickstart roms. I've had them in one form or another countless times over the years but goodness knows what packed away old HD they're sitting on.

Cloanto appear to be selling them cheaply, via of all things the Android store, which I've never used before. Does anyone know if there is a way to buy the app without having an Android device? And then simply extract the kickstart roms?

you are going to emulate an amiga with roms and you are worried about buying kickstart roms?

Thanks, I'll look into that. Might end up being more faff than it's worth I guess. I know Amiga Forever is available, but the Essientials app is only £1.79. Seems daft to lock it off from a basic release for windows etc.

Edit: Hold the front page! Retrogamer to the rescue, I've found a cd they gave away which has Amiga Forever! :) Checks when the mag was bought.. 2005! :o

8 hours ago, ulala said:

you are going to emulate an amiga with roms and you are worried about buying kickstart roms?

Yes because the kickstart roms are still actively sold and thus shouldn't be pirated and the amiga games are not.

8 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I'm not worried about buying kickstart roms. :huh: I'd just like to know if I can buy and then use the ks versions Cloanto sell on the Android store, without an Android device.

Yes you can. They work with everything as I bought them last year, basically just sticks them in a folder on your phone which you can copy away.

Thanks good to know. Found the Amiga Forever CD though so I can get stuck into that. :)Shame Cloanto don't simply sell the ROMs for £1.79 straight to your PC really.

As an aside, I just tried out Deliplayer with some old dw files. Holy crap, Xenon 2 and SOTB sound amazing!

This might need a new thread but I thought I'd ask here. Regarding getting things setup, it seems that Amiberry (the preferred method of emulation on Pis) requires lha files. Obviously I have a collection of adz files... :rolleyes:

My understanding is that both the lha and adz format are essientially compressed images. Given that, is there a way to simply decompress then recompress in the required lha format? Or is there some other method I can use? So that I don't have to go hunting for an extensive rom set, which I basically already have.