rllmuk
Lorfarius

Amiga Appreciation Thread

This might need a new thread but I thought I'd ask here. Regarding getting things setup, it seems that Amiberry (the preferred method of emulation on Pis) requires lha files. Obviously I have a collection of adz files... :rolleyes:

My understanding is that both the lha and adz format are essientially compressed images. Given that, is there a way to simply decompress then recompress in the required lha format? Or is there some other method I can use? So that I don't have to go hunting for an extensive rom set, which I basically already have.

I have a bunch of Amiga CD ROM discs that need a home. If anybody would like them (free) please drop me a PM, as I probably won’t venture in here again!

• Upvote 5

How do I format disks on an A1200? I want to check my Ultima VI works before it goes on eBay, but I need disks to install it to. I have a box of "blanks", but don't know how to format them to install to.

Also, wasn't there a way to get it to run a diagnostic on boot up to tell me if there's any additional hardware in there?

You can format disks using either Workbench via the Icons menu, or shell (format drive df0: name empty). I use a utility called SuperDuper as it is much faster and deals with non-Amiga blanks better. 

How do I get into workbench? Or do I need a workbench disk?

Edit: I've found a Workbench disk now. I'll have a look at that tomorrow night.

10 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Also, wasn't there a way to get it to run a diagnostic on boot up to tell me if there's any additional hardware in there?

Holding both mouse buttons down when you turn it on will take you in to the boot menu.

oing to stick this in the Wanted folder as well, but: has anyone got a copy of X Copy I could have? I used to have one, but can't find it

18 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

oing to stick this in the Wanted folder as well, but: has anyone got a copy of X Copy I could have? I used to have one, but can't find it

On this, is Xcopy the best / only way to copy Amiga games? 

Got this today...

Amiga_Power_Cover.thumb.jpg.3731aad203d15ef3fe436a6720c56b4d.jpg

Not sure I ever expected to be in the credits of an actual album in my life, albeit in the thanks section.

@Lorfarius is in there too.

If it gets a bandcamp release or something I recommend.  The original creator's reworking of Party Land from Pinball Fantasies "sounding the way I wanted to back in the day" is worth the price of admission on its own.

• Upvote 2

On 24/06/2020 at 22:47, mikejenkins said:

You can format disks using either Workbench via the Icons menu, or shell (format drive df0: name empty). I use a utility called SuperDuper as it is much faster and deals with non-Amiga blanks better. 

If I'm using workbench to format a load of disks, do I have to keep swapping disks? Is there an easier way?

If you have the Workbench Format application loaded (the one with the GUI interface), then you shouldn't have to reinsert the Workbench disk between each disk that you're formatting.

I tended to use DiskMaster 2, which was given away on an Amiga Format coverdisk, for formatting.

As above you can use a third party util if you have a mechanism for getting it on the Amiga (these tend to work better). The issue you are seeing is probably the system trying to load the Format command from the system (Workbench) disk each time, this can be overcome by copying the Format tool from the System folder of the floppy to the RAM disk and running it from there, but you’ll still have to put the Workbench disk back in to do anything else. 

A compact flash or SD card hard drive makes life much easier for not a lot of money. 

33 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I have that. Can't see the format option, though

I recall it being in a drop-down menu, but can't be more exact. It's been 20 years since I've had to use DiskMaster 2 in practice. It was given away with Amiga Format 55, which claims it can format 4 disks at once.