Jump to content

Amiga Appreciation Thread


Lorfarius
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Must be! I guess the Ace reviewer might not have seen that in 1987, as it's a MS game and might not have got a wide release over here. Or it might not have made it here until later. 

It’s most likely due to games journalists being fallible, I suspect. And I imagine it wasn’t easy to research this stuff over a decade before the internet was a common thing, let alone vaguely useful.

 

FSII did get released over here (my dad had a copy) and, interestingly, Flight Simulator wasn’t a Microsoft owned franchise at the time, but published by a company called Sublogic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, K said:

Arcticfox seems to have filled polygons - at about 2fps - and I think that came out in 1986.

 

It's surprisingly hard to tell when games were released, if you're looking at anything that came out before around 1990.

 

Arcticfox was developed on one of the earliest Amiga dev kits, housed in a wooden box. Contrary to the common belief that Commodore was anti-games, there were up to 50 kits sent to developers in 1985-6 to get software development going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, merman said:

 

Arcticfox was developed on one of the earliest Amiga dev kits, housed in a wooden box. Contrary to the common belief that Commodore was anti-games, there were up to 50 kits sent to developers in 1985-6 to get software development going.

 

like the 10 Peter Molyneux got by mistake? Mind you, that wasn't for games, was it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PXL_20221025_161322814.thumb.jpg.d97623d84a23d16ae9a81b8270b735e3.jpgMy A1200 I've just bought seems to run most of the WHDLoad games in what looks like widescreen, with the bottom quarter or so of the screen blank. See attached image ...

It looks fine when it's running workbench, with the image filling the whole screen. 

I assume this is something to do with a WHDLoad setting or something - is it booting the games in NTSC mode by default or something like this? And is there a way to change it so it displays the games full screen?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeJ said:

Lots of Amiga games don't display in full screen, but Sensible Soccer does, so try that.

 

48 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I’d say the vast majority of Amiga games only use a portion of the screen, TBH!

 

I'm not sure about this - I don't remember most of my Amiga games being as squashed as they look here. I have a feeling that my Amiga has NTSC versions of some games installed, and because they are being output as a PAL image by WHDLoad, they are appearing squashed on my screen. This thread from many many years ago seems to back this up:

https://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8548

 

The only problem is I am not sure how to do this:

 

Quote

I did try Pacmania and it filled the screen nicely so I then re-checked the docs, added the NTSC line into the whdload.prefs and it is fixed.

 

To try it out. Not sure what "the NTSC line" is or how to add it to whdload.prefs. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you right click on a games icon, select Information then under Tooltypes add a new blank line and type NTSC into it, it will run the game in NTSC mode. 
 

There aren’t many NTSC versions of Amiga games but a lot of PAL ones are output at NTSC res. Running them in NTSC mode usually makes them run too fast or shifts the image offscreen, but you can edit tool types as above to see what works. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is quite cool:

 

https://sonicslothgames.itch.io/turrican2aga

 

Someone has made a kind of ersatz AGA version of Turrican II using assets from the PC version, with quite a few tweaks to preserve the bits of the Amiga that were superior. I've only had a chance to play it very briefly, but it seems very solid - the 256 colour graphics from the PC version take a bit of getting used to, and the revised main character looks bizarre (although you can use the original Amiga sprite if you want), but it's a fantastic bit of work and an interesting alternate version.

 

It works on actual Amiga hardware (or emulated Amiga hardware, for the vast majority of people who will play it).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/10/2022 at 17:18, Anne Summers said:

PXL_20221025_161322814.thumb.jpg.d97623d84a23d16ae9a81b8270b735e3.jpgMy A1200 I've just bought seems to run most of the WHDLoad games in what looks like widescreen, with the bottom quarter or so of the screen blank. See attached image ...

It looks fine when it's running workbench, with the image filling the whole screen. 

I assume this is something to do with a WHDLoad setting or something - is it booting the games in NTSC mode by default or something like this? And is there a way to change it so it displays the games full screen?

 

 

 

This is perfectly normal, it down to the resolution of what the Amiga outputs which is 320x240 for PAL which most games were. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I remember rightly I think on some versions of kickstart you could hold down both mouse buttons on boot  and you could choose between PAL and NTSC but as most have said most Amiga games didn't use the whole screen and some NTSC to PAL ports would be a little squished.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

If I put a WB1.3 formatted floppy disk into an A1200 WB2.x / WB3.x system, should it be readable or will it just show up as DF0: ???? or 

 

(Asking because I have an old Amiga Format coverdisk I can't read, and wondering whether that's because it's damaged or because of the version of WB I have on my A1200). 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

If I put a WB1.3 formatted floppy disk into an A1200 WB2.x / WB3.x system, should it be readable or will it just show up as DF0: ???? or 

 

(Asking because I have an old Amiga Format coverdisk I can't read, and wondering whether that's because it's damaged or because of the version of WB I have on my A1200). 

 

 

It should be able to read it fine. Have you tried booting from the disk, though, rather than reading it in WB?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty sure the AF disks were all AmigaDOS - this is the disk that came with AF 18 with the demo of Lemmings - if anyone has the capability of making a working copy and posting it to me I'd be grateful! (And will PayPal costs of course). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

In case anyone here doesn't check in on the Retro Gamer mag theads there is a feature about the games that defined the Amiga in this month's issue. It's also the cover.

Awesome. Without having seen it I am going to bet that Defender of the Crown, Shadow of the Beast, Speedball 2 and Cannon Fodder are there. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

You missed out F/A-18 Interceptor!

I think that was the first time I saw a code wheel for copy protection. Second was TSOMI. Zak McCracken just had a code sheet…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have always seen famous Amiga legend game Turrican II as enormously overrated and annoying to play, chiefly because you can't see far enough in front of you so you get spammed by baddies you can't see, you don't get a period of invulnerability when you get hit meaning the spamming baddies can drain all your health very quickly, and it's full of leaps of faith.

 

Someone has ported and tweaked the PC DOS version to Amiga AGA, and in addition to hugely improving the graphics, has fixed my main problems with the gameplay by increasing the distance between you and the edge of the screen when scrolling and adding a "look down" feature. It's also added some optional modern quality of life improvements like save states, customisable controls with multi button support, and secrets within the levels unlocked by finding and following hidden drones.

 

It is now a much better game in my opinion and well worth a look:

 

https://sonicslothgames.itch.io/turrican2aga

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MikeJ said:

I have always seen famous Amiga legend game Turrican II as enormously overrated and annoying to play, chiefly because you can't see far enough in front of you so you get spammed by baddies you can't see, you don't get a period of invulnerability when you get hit meaning the spamming baddies can drain all your health very quickly, and it's full of leaps of faith.

 

Someone has ported and tweaked the PC DOS version to Amiga AGA, and in addition to hugely improving the graphics, has fixed my main problems with the gameplay by increasing the distance between you and the edge of the screen when scrolling and adding a "look down" feature. It's also added some optional modern quality of life improvements like save states, customisable controls with multi button support, and secrets within the levels unlocked by finding and following hidden drones.

 

It is now a much better game in my opinion and well worth a look:

 

https://sonicslothgames.itch.io/turrican2aga

I finished Turrican II way back when and never thought that was an issue at all at the time. It wasn't a difficult game imo.

Port looks nice in AGA though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.