IGNORED

So Why Is PS4 Outselling Xbox One?

Robo_1

You're again ignoring the fact that the problems with Sony's service are all in one specific area that many people might not actively use. I also don't consider a bit of downtime as unpleasant of a move as charging for a service for six years because you know your customers will pay.

In my mind, Microsoft showed me what the future they imagine for the console market was and it was something I wouldn't want to invest in. Since then they've offered me zero reasons to want an Xbox so I've pretty much stayed in that mindset.

Oh god my problem is not with the online service. I've accepted that was shit since I first tried to use it on my PS3. My problem is with their atrocious customer service and stealing peoples money. You know, the ones highlighted in this thread

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/277846-sony-refund-refused-man-fumes;-now-the-general-sonys-customer-service-is-terrible-thread/

the one I linked to in my original post. I would never compare the plans Microsoft had as being comparable to an online service that occasionally goes on the blink. That would be ludicrous. It's the 1-2 combo that does it, that and the general shitty service in general.

Look at how the two companies handled the clusterfuck that was Driveclub and Halo last year. One told customers who bought a game that didn't work that their policy was not to give refunds, the other offered a full refund or a copy of the ODST remake.

Like the marketing and PR where MS insist that they've totally discarded a strategy they've been slowly developing since the early days of the Xbox 360?

Which strategy?

You do know that millions of people have hands of a different shape and size to you, don't you?

True, but I can't think of any controller that has hurt my hands in the 30 + years of me playing games on a controller or keyboard.

Unless you count the iPhone as a games controller, that gives you claw hand if you're trying to play pinball arcade. :(

True, but I can't think of any controller that has hurt my hands in the 30 + years of me playing games on a controller or keyboard.

Unless you count the iPhone as a games controller, that gives you claw hand if you're trying to play pinball arcade. :(

I got pains in my left thumb when I started using the DS4, which I attribute to years of nothing but the 360 controller and having fairly long thumbs/fingers. The underside of the DS4 doesn't support my palm as well as the 360 controller, but it doesn't bother me now.

That said, there are always going to be people who find a controller plain uncomfortable. The DS3 was a case in point for me, but I just bought one of those Cronus adapters and used a 360 controller.

Which strategy?

Now now, don't be disingenuous! There's been a steady shift toward turning their line of consoles into media machines. MS have freely admitted as such in past interviews, they wanted the 360 to become a 'set-top box' for the living room. That's most obvious in the shift from the simple 'blades' interface to the later UIs which, while they were superior in basic design, ended up near crippled and confused due to adverts and other non-game options. Go as far back as the original XBox, and there's interviews where members of the game division say how they were constantly having to push back against the media division's designs. Considering all that, I half expected them to move that strategy another step forward with the XBox One reveal, but the sheer force of it was a real surprise.

You seem to be mistaking criticism of MS for complete investment in Camp Sony. The reasons I bought a PS4 were pretty much the same for my purchasing a 360. I wasn't especially fussed with exclusives, but due to the reported extra 'grunt' of the machine I thought it would get the better versions of multi-platform titles. That's largely proven to be the case, bar a few exceptions. Like other PS4 owners I'm pretty disgusted with the state of PSN and Sony's hand-waving toward it.

Can I just write out the next few pages in advance so we can skip ahead with this beat-for-beat conversation recap from 18-months ago?

"What Microsoft planned to do was pure evil, it had nothing to do with the contemporary trend towards cloud services rather than physical media and was definitely, entirely designed just to fuck over consumers"

"So how was it any different to your Steam account?"

"Steam is cheap so none of that matters"

"What Microsoft planned to do was evil, it had nothing to do with the contemporary trend towards cloud services rather than physical media and was purely designed to fuck over consumers"

"So how was it any different to your Steam account?"

"Steam is cheap so none of that matters"

What if I dont have a Steam account? Can I be outraged?

What if I dont have a Steam account? Can I be outraged?

I don't see what relevance that has to anything, whether you personally use it or not it's still the most popular gaming digital distribution platform in the world and has been for over a decade.

Steam has benefits to the consumer. You can wave them away as much as you like but the relative interest in the two systems Bears this out.

Yeah, it's cheaper.

Ultimately I think we've been left with the worst of both worlds, two consoles that install and run games entirely from their own hard-drives but still use discs for DRM like it's 1995. Putting in a disc for something that's sat in its entirety on your dash already feels old-hat now, never mind in 2019 or whenever this generations winds down.

You seem to be mistaking criticism of MS for complete investment in Camp Sony.

This happens a lot. I'm indifferent to Sony and Valve, Love Nintendo and actively dislike Microsoft. That means I criticise them more often and more harshly, but has nothing to do with any other company. I'm pissed off with Microsoft because I've used their products for years and I feel like they've been treating me like shit, not because Sony PR told me to be.

Now now, don't be disingenuous! There's been a steady shift toward turning their line of consoles into media machines. MS have freely admitted as such in past interviews, they wanted the 360 to become a 'set-top box' for the living room. That's most obvious in the shift from the simple 'blades' interface to the later UIs which, while they were superior in basic design, ended up near crippled and confused due to adverts and other non-game options. Go as far back as the original XBox, and there's interviews where members of the game division say how they were constantly having to push back against the media division's designs. Considering all that, I half expected them to move that strategy another step forward with the XBox One reveal, but the sheer force of it was a real surprise.

You seem to be mistaking criticism of MS for complete investment in Camp Sony. The reasons I bought a PS4 were pretty much the same for my purchasing a 360. I wasn't especially fussed with exclusives, but due to the reported extra 'grunt' of the machine I thought it would get the better versions of multi-platform titles. That's largely proven to be the case, bar a few exceptions. Like other PS4 owners I'm pretty disgusted with the state of PSN and Sony's hand-waving toward it.

I'm not mistaking anything, although I am having a bit of fun. There are some serious Sony zealots on here who are just too tempting to poke, especially in a thread like this.

As for MS's media centre direction, I'm very happy they're continuing to push in that direction. Basically I've got a console which is host to some amazing games, but also allows me to watch TV or movies, and all within a consistent UI. Less devices, not more.

So you really think that a theoretical shit sandwich proposed by a team that are no longer at the company that never even materialised is worse than the way Sony are treating actual customers in real life at this very moment. So some bad thing that doesn't exist is worse than the bad thing that does?

Maybe it is just me but I can't get my head around it. I can understand not liking Microsoft's attitude at the beginning and making a choice at launch but to continue to use that excuse in 2015 is rather odd.

Broker's answered the main points for me really, all I'll add is that gamers as a whole would have been accused of being an even more fickle bunch than we already are, if after one management shuffle it was all aboard the Xbox train.

As for the customer support question, I've every sympathy for anyone caught up in a disagreement with a multinational corporation. There's no defence for corporations steam rolling people like this, but even a cursory google for the search term xbox stole my money, reveals plenty of disgruntled customers who have likely faced similar frustrations to those in the thread you've linked to. Customer service is often a blunt instrument, where underpaid temp workers are simply told to parrot policy which simply doesn't cover all edge cases.

I'm not defending Sony in this instance, but I'd be stunned if you could find me a large multinational corporation, which doesn't cast a host similar stories of frustration in its wake. That said, I'm simply not invested enough in the debate to actually go and hunt out comparable Xbox stories of horror, so if you feel confident in suggesting that MS would never allow a customer be treated in a comparable way to the examples you linked to, then I'm not going to contest it.

I'm also not sure why you compared the customer service of the Playstation division to the whole of Microsoft.

Fill yer spare boots: ;)

Xbox Customer Support is Terrible

As a consumer, you are only real action (rather than leaving gaming) is kick up a fuss and support with your custom the devices and games that best deserve it. Sony deserved the kicking they got at the start of the PS3. MS deserve it now.

MS/Sony/Nintendo all sinosodally oscillate between success and failure, and their arrogance lags behind 90 degrees out of phase.

Even if you forget the terrible TV, TV, TV, focussed PR, which turned off so many, their DRM plans and the associated policies would have fundamentally altered the industry in a way which would have damaged consumer rights. The inability to freely trade games, unless it was done using one of their approved partners, would have likely killed the remaining independent game shops out there, driven up the price of the second hand games that were allowed, and massively limited the places which sold games in the first place (Ebay and Amazon Marketplace would be knocked out instantly).

Many assumed that Sony would be going down the same path, as it's something which clearly benefitted the third parties and they would likely be pressing for both platform holders to follow the same model. So when Sony announced they had no such plans, the standing ovation they received wasn't a collective show of fanboyism, it was a massive show of relief, that the MS model wasn't the model console gaming was going to be

You do know that Sony had very similar plans in place with regards to DRM. One of their execs said as much fairly soon after launch. They decided to wait to see what the reaction was to MS's announcements and it became pretty obvious that absolutely no-one wanted that so they shelved them. MS unfortunately carried on for a while before u turning.

You do know that Sony had very similar plans in place with regards to DRM. One of their execs said as much fairly soon after launch. They decided to wait to see what the reaction was to MS's announcements and it became pretty obvious that absolutely no-one wanted that so they shelved them. MS unfortunately carried on for a while before u turning.

awesome!