Helldivers - From the makers of Magika

Flub

Vita performance discussed here (what is with all the fuds going "oh it's crossbuy so you get it anyway fnarr"?)

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1002814

I don't have a PS3 or 4, so I will skip this. A pity as it seems very fun.

Neogaf being overly defensive of a Sony product? Shirley not. At least the big boy versions don't suffer the same problems, not sure I like the sound of what Garibaldi has posted though. Why can't games just be good from the start? It's all well and good saying it gets amazing after so many hours but why not just make the first bit not shit as well?

Eurogamer review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-04-helldivers-review

Recommended.

All of this stuff is powered by procedural generation, as missions spin up their own little arenas, spread across a range of terrain types, all of them bleak but starkly pretty, from wind-swept deserts to rotting jungles. The enemies themselves aren't bad, either, scaling from crustacean-themed bugs to spindly, blown-glass robots, each with their own quirks. The star of the show isn't your foes, though, and it certainly isn't the fascist 'goodies' you're cast as in this knockabout imperialist satire. The star of the show is the panic that's generated as you head into adventure, knowing that you're this close to screwing everything up for your team in a darkly hilarious manner.

This feels really nice. Just done the one mission but the friendly fire really makes a difference, even without voice comms you all start thinking about lines of fire and taking good positions:) I'm jealous of my superior officers though, I can call a drop ship for a slightly bigger gun or two ammo clips (ooooh!), while the higher levels get giant mechs:O More importantly, they have nicer capes!

psn id is blipwoo, add me if you tend to play during the day:)

Haven't managed to get a game with anyone on here tonight, which is a bit of a shame. In typical PSN fashion, no one is talking so I'm finding it all a bit dull so far. There's not really a lot of scope for communication outside of voice chat - you can set waypoints but people only seem to see them if they happen to have the map open so it's just waiting for someone to take the lead and you follow them (the game stops you from just going off on your own as the camera stays on the majority).

Haven't managed to get a game with anyone on here tonight, which is a bit of a shame. In typical PSN fashion, no one is talking so I'm finding it all a bit dull so far. There's not really a lot of scope for communication outside of voice chat - you can set waypoints but people only seem to see them if they happen to have the map open so it's just waiting for someone to take the lead and you follow them (the game stops you from just going off on your own as the camera stays on the majority).

Purchased it earlier so I'll add you for a game or two.

Really want this but can't justify it at it's current price :(

Are you serious? Its £13, and its bloody brilliant. Get it, you wont regret it. Played it as a group of 4 and we were just laughing all the time. Insane fun. Walking mechs with gatling guns, armoured cars with machine guns on both sides and a rocket turret, air strikes, orbital strikes, grenades, mines its got the bloody lot. The missions are brutal, but they never feel unfair, and if all but 1 person dies he/she can just call in a drop to get everyone back up. There are no "lives" per player etc.

We need more mukkers playing this as its more fun than most multiplayer games out there right now, and that's saying a lot!

I played for a couple of hours last night with randoms without voice-chat and we had no problems. Things got a bit dicey when 3 of us got the idea to call in a turret at the same time, but other than that it was fine.

Oh, and remember to commend good teamplayers when you're back on the bridge. The options button brings up the team-screen.

Played it with Ben, Droodling and Banjaxed and it was like a breath of fresh air. Great fun all round, but Droodling has gotta do something about his inability to aim... :)

Seriously though, it's just great fun. I've played it solo, with friends and with strangers - all of which were great fun. With strangers (and no headsets) you can still issue commands using the d-pad....

Just got my mech-suit so going to stomp on Droodling when I see him...

Had more fun playing this for one night with 3 guys all miced up than in weeks on Destiny... it's bloody brilliant. Calling in airstrikes or auto-turrets under attack from hordes of ravenous bugs is hilarious and nervewracking as is trying to call back your dead allies when you are the last guy left. I can only imagine it will get better after unlocking a few more strategems and weapons. They got the Starship Troopers vibe perfectly ("Have a cup of freedom!") and the whole dynamic campaign and procedurally generated missions/planets thing is a really interesting idea.

Also +1 for leaving friendly fire in there too.

We've christened the big monster bug the 'Big Guy'. Cue much panicked shouting of "KILL THE BIG GUY!!!" when the bugger appears before he wipes put out entire squad, guns blazing like there's no tomorrow...

Oh and the APC rocks.

Tried to play this with some randoms and gave up in the end. When I did finally get into a game either the host would quit, other players would quit, or I'd get kicked out as everyone else was a higher level.

Completed a few single-player missions just to up my rank a bit, but they certainly weren't riveting.

Played with some randoms last night and then a bunch of chums. This game is amazing fun. The first few random matches I tried to play had connection issues but after that it was fine. No chat in the randoms but plenty of use of the dpad emotes to get people going in the right direction. The game isn't actually that complex so as long as the group you're in knows the basics you generally have a good time. Once I got in with my friends and got the voice chat going it was hilarious. Stomping around in exos, getting minced by your own turrets. Setting off a hellbomb and not managing to get far enough away due to a fresh wave of bugs :)

I'm not sure how effective some of the strategems are. The heavy machine gun is one I like. Rocket launcher is good I'm guessing on the harder difficulty levels but I'd have concerns about the ultra long reload time and how fast enemies spawn. Air strikes and strafing runs seem to take too long to create given how little they actually do.

I've settled on the shotgun and that beam laser depending on what map I'm playing so far. I've got the shotgun researched with the thing that makes it do better damage against soft targets. I might configure the smg with the mini-stun bullets and see how that goes.

It's not brilliant in single player mind. I'd rather play with randoms. Although once you get the level 3 UAV I can see a benefit to sitting down with the vita running easy solo missions to farm samples.

Roll on magika 2