Cities: Skylines - SimCity 2015

Rudi von Starnberg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sng said:

Love this game. Just about unlocked everything now. Tempted by the DLC but it all adds up. How much do they all go for in a bundle during sales?

I got them all before Christmas for £20 odd, as I recall. The best are mass transport and natural disasters. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone else picked this up on the Switch?

Up to 14k sims in my world and when zoomed in it chugs a bit, but on the whole it plays really, really well. It has become a great time waster where I can play for 5-10 minutes making minor improvements to my city, or for bigger sessions for building up. 

The Switch version comes with After Dark and Snowfall and there is no commitment of future DLC as the deva wanted to see how well it sells first. However if the opening week is anything to go by, we should at least get parity with the Xbox One and PS4 versions. 

No mods is a pain (on all console versions) as it would be nice to save some time and get other players interchanges of a mod database, but it is a minor niggle. 

Hopefully we do get future DLC as I cannot wait for Mass Transit and Natural Disasters on the go!

So I just found out that the other console versions have been updated properly with Mass Transit, which means we have things like elevation step changes, proper road guides and the like. 

Tempted to start a new city on the Xbox again. Shame you can't save centrally and play across systems (I know why obviously). 

• 1 year later...

I can stop playing whenever I want.....

Am totally addicted to this now - I bought it on PC about a year ago, played five minutes and gave up. Then the other week I watched some of this guys videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYzO4HZxgXc2UJQD5bIo8AQ

Like:

And got massively drawn in and thought I'd give it another go with some of the mods that he uses in his videos. Two weeks later, I've bought all the DLC and have put 100 hours in.... good grief. It's so addictive trying to get that traffic running smoothly. And I'll just get into a position where I'm profitable and traffic is flowing (with despawning turned off) and then I'll build something else and it all goes to shit and I'll spend a couple of hours fiddling until I've got back into a good position again... phew!

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, Minion said:

Is this easy to manage on PS4 or should I get the pc version for my laptop? The mayors edition is reduced to £25.50 on PS4 right now, I do prefer playing on my PS4 but just wondering how easy it is on a pad?

I don't know how it handles on PS4 I'm afraid, but the mods on the PC really made it for me.

I recently got this on switch. I can't quite figure out how electricity /power works. Some areas that had power suddenly don't have any.. I'm not sure if I need another power plant or more power lines. I've been throwing up turbines which help for a bit but I'm a bit confused as to what is trying to tell me. 

3 hours ago, little che said:

I recently got this on switch. I can't quite figure out how electricity /power works. Some areas that had power suddenly don't have any.. I'm not sure if I need another power plant or more power lines. I've been throwing up turbines which help for a bit but I'm a bit confused as to what is trying to tell me. 

I only use turbines, you need to place them near where buildings pop up, then as the area grows they connect to each other

Example : Turbine placed near B1. 

B2 has no power until you either place a turbine  near it or buildings pop up between them 

T_B1___________B2

Also keep an eye on power usage, you need to generate more than needed as wind drops and generates less at certain times. 

42 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

I only use turbines, you need to place them near where buildings pop up, then as the area grows they connect to each other

Example : Turbine placed near B1. 

B2 has no power until you either place a turbine  near it or buildings pop up between them 

T_B1___________B2

Also keep an eye on power usage, you need to generate more than needed as wind drops and generates less at certain times. 

Thanks for the tips. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got back into this!  Yay! 

mega.thumb.jpg.96e9fc0203637b1d58e3d888a1816181.jpg

mega2.thumb.jpg.2d818c25ed374b3292368f14e6d4f865.jpg

It's a bit of a weird game, all told, I really find it enjoyable to play but even on hard its very easy, I suppose it's more of a creative game than a challenging one :)

Still, I have the itch to try a new city using all of my knowledge :D

Trying to go for a more 'realistic' layout.  It's hard!! I'm making a rule where I don't build (much) on top of existing trees, trying to use the lay of the land to guide my planning.  But it still looks like a game city!  I love looking at pictures of other people's cities, they look so interesting! 

Gonna try make a hydro power dam thing, I think, that small waterfall top right is perfect for it! 

2058862589_Cities_Skylines31_03_202017_08_23.thumb.jpg.1d6065a6d9cf095574d85bbea925f7f9.jpg

4 hours ago, palaver said:

Which map is that @robdood

Islands, I think.  Or something like that.  Can't check as my PC seems to have died :'( 

1 hour ago, Minion said:

You using traffic mods @robdood

I was playing on PS4 and my traffic started getting bad and looking up advice on youtube they all use these mods that manage lanes and stuff, put me off playing totally...

Beautiful city by the way

Nope - the only thing I'm using is the in-game tools to manage the junctions, which allow you to toggle traffic lights / give way signs - it's easily enough.  The traffic management is tricky, but there are defo enough tools in the game without mods imo.  Mods are only really required when you make 'aesthetic' cities, it seems. 

7 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I feel like I'm being an idiot but how do you get nice curved roads like that? I'm playing on Xbox.

Hehe, when you build roads, you get some icons down in the lower left of the toolbar.. 

image.png.d308bb7f8e2b96d997d8e5610f00aa07.png

left most is straight, second is curved, third is freeform.  Last one is for upgrading roads (e.g. change a two way into a one way, etc)

It grows AGAIN!  No time to do a big post, but I added another area today whilst working form home :D  A huge downtown area, thought I'd use some of the reward buildings and things since I've never done that before(!).. and this area has my best traffic flow yet!  Was so satisfying figuring out the relief roads etc needed :wub:

1359221598_Cities_Skylines03_04_202018_44_19.thumb.jpg.10b55a1412ec94d14c2a5edb5a5a7d18.jpg

39398318_Cities_Skylines03_04_202018_45_22.thumb.jpg.9415d468020cd9f1bcbb54cc5642e3d6.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Downloaded this via Playstation Now sub (PS4) and I love it.  I want to get some of the expansions to add some variety to it as the buildings etc can get a little samey, but there is so so much on the PS Store that I'm not sure where to turn.  Are the Season Passes the best value for money?  Anyone still playing this even?