Cities: Skylines - SimCity 2015

Rudi von Starnberg

8.5 from IGN.

More than anything, Cities: Skylines is about the simple joy of building. Its a really impressive and often beautiful simulation, where an amazing number of virtual people go about their business across a huge swath of land. Getting in and creating something is easy, though mastering it will require extensive research on community wikis to understand why growth is stunted even when you address your citizens apparent concerns. Dont expect exciting scenarios or random events, but do expect to be impressed by the scale and many moving parts of this city-builder.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/10/cities-skylines-review

I was somewhat hoping it wouldn't be Alec "really not very good at video games" Meer who liked it, as that might bode poorly for the game's challenge; and indeed his praising of its toybox nature seems to reflect that.

Still, even if it is a complete cakewalk, it sounds a hell of a lot more entertaining than Sim City: DRM Edition.

Excellent reviews all round it seems, I particularly enjoyed the Lazy Games Review vid

2 hours until I can spend 4 or 5 hours resetting and restarting and making sure my first road and residential zone is in exactly the right place.

Excellent reviews all round it seems, I particularly enjoyed the Lazy Games Review vid

2 hours until I can spend 4 or 5 hours resetting and restarting and making sure my first road and residential zone is in exactly the right place.

The LGR guy is obsessed with city-builders so if he says it's good, it's good. He does mention a few shortcomings, stuff I hope they can fix later on, like not being able to easily track individual things, stats not being easily-accessible and limited transport management (although I'm guessing this is more a streamlining thing).

Yeah I get the impression some people who are really into city builders want a game which is as deep a city builder imaginable and also has as complex transport management as, well, this developer's previous games, which were transport management games.

At a certain point I think you can over-complexify it.

I'm slightly concerned my creaky old PC won't run this very well, but we'll see.

I've just worked out that the last sim city I played was the snes version. I assume this will be a step up yes?

I'm currently enjoying a pint up the pub, I have pizza and beer for later but the early release had thrown this into disarray a bit.

Can someone point me in the direction of a HOW TO PLAY video, if they'd be so kind?

I've fired it up and I'm finding it a bit overwhelming, what with me being totally new to this genre. I ran out of cash within 5 minutes and everywhere was screaming for electricity and homes and entire streets were overspilling with shite and stuff. It was just carnage. I need help getting started.

Even just a Getting Started video would be ace. Thanks!

Can someone point me in the direction of a HOW TO PLAY video, if they'd be so kind?

I've fired it up and I'm finding it a bit overwhelming, what with me being totally new to this genre. I ran out of cash within 5 minutes and everywhere was screaming for electricity and homes and entire streets were overspilling with shite and stuff. It was just carnage. I need help getting started.

Even just a Getting Started video would be ace. Thanks!

Not played it yet, but you've got to build within your means. Make a small town, build that up and then work from there. Building a Planned Town is always the Expert Option.

Historically the closest you've got as an influence is when trains stopped at small villages for no real reason and that made them get bigger.

Worryingly that means this is effectively a Middlesbrough simulator, but I'm sure it's good despite that.

Ta babe.

Knowing nothing about the game other than HYPE - is the Deluxe edition worth it? (basically 5 monuments :))

If you're using Nuuvem, yes. If CD Keys, no.

(It's £3 extra for the former, £8 extra for the latter)