Cities: Skylines - SimCity 2015

Rudi von Starnberg

There is a hard mode available for those of you saying it's too easy. Not sure what it changes but it might be worth a try?

I'll finish this game (just nudged over 50k with 300 joining a week), so I might as well see the 55k final size and the 65k monuments.

Then I'll give hard a spin.

New industrial zone outside of the main city limits but joined by good public transport links (and public transport is free) added since my last update. And over £2m in the bank.

Relatedly: Dead ends are a bit too easy to generate. Once or twice I've had roads (well, highways) that seem fine but haven't worked. I've ended up with a really dodgy intersection fixing one, no idea what had happened to it.

Im really tempted to get this, but I'm concerend about perfomance.

2014 Macbook Pro 15". I5 Processor, 16GB Ram, Intel Iris Pro.

The specs for the game:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

Any idea how well it will run? Usually OSX ports are shit and run on really low spec compaired to the same game on a windows bootcamp partition, or even a windows build in a Wine Wrapper. I know I could install on windows, but i'd prefer to have it on the Yosemite partition.

Im really tempted to get this, but I'm concerend about perfomance.

2014 Macbook Pro 15". I5 Processor, 16GB Ram, Intel Iris Pro.

The specs for the game:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

Any idea how well it will run? Usually OSX ports are shit and run on really low spec compaired to the same game on a windows bootcamp partition, or even a windows build in a Wine Wrapper. I know I could install on windows, but i'd prefer to have it on the Yosemite partition.

"I have the 15" rMBP with Intel Iris Pro only. Playing on Low settings its runs fine. But it doesn't look very good."

Said someone on the internet.

Absolutely loving this so far, just about got my population up to 20k and have 1m in the bank to fund my next expansion. Traffic is definitely starting to become a problem in certain areas though, probably not helped by my terrible attempts at connecting to the highways.

My city is all a bit of a mishmash so far, but I'm quite happy with my main residential and commercial district.

P8y40UR.jpg

Here's my city now, up to 34,000 citizens.

Plan view:

eTweUAj.jpg

The bustling commercial heart of the city, Low Street.

ZjGKMXU.jpg

A view of the city from the newest development, Kenshill:

gtUk7yS.jpg

And from the hydro dam at the southern end of the city:

kG7l4Fj.jpg

Some general tips from what I've learned so far:

1. More lanes isn't necessarily better. A six-lane road isn't going to speed anything up if the intersections still get clogged.

2. Pedestrian pathways and walkways are great, put them everywhere.

3. Frontage roads are very useful for handling your highways.

It isn't especially graphically intensive, my frame rate is a bit crappy (doesn't affect gameplay at all) but that is more down to a weak CPU I suspect.

My rather old laptop runs it a lot better than the system requirements listed on the steam page suggested anyway. I think those are simply wrong as their website has a different set of reqs

This looks good and if it is as moddable as the devs say it could hopefully spawn a nice community and lots of interesting buildings and stuff.

Do the individual buildings 'grow' (as per Sim City 4) as the wealth increases?

Yeah, buildings upgrade as you go along.

Other thoughts: I love the organic nature of expansion, it all feels so much better than SimCity in that respect. I like that you're not just encouraged to bulldoze everything to solve traffic problems. I like that more lanes doesn't equally better flow. I like that gridding is actually the worst thing you can do (because intersections are what create traffic problems) I like the inclusion of offices as a zoning type (non-polluting workplaces for educated citizens). I love the transportation (laying out metro lines and bus routes makes me happy). I absolutely love the fluid dynamics on the water - a feature that was surely someone's pet idea and got included because it turned out to have actual gameplay effects.

I am enjoying the hell out of it, in general.

That's something I have noticed with lots of unity games, they tend to look bad in screenshots. Kerbal is the same. Not sure what it is about the engine that causes it. The antialiasing is rather bad it should be said.

I should post screenshots of my city, will have to do it tomorrow. I have a griddy city centre but outside of that every district has ended up quite different. Have now expanded into a fourth tile to the north where I will build some little commuter towns and suburbs.

Also I have clearly got a thing for bridges, have built far more than is needed. Pedestrian bridges, railway bridges, two motorway flyovers crossing the entire northwest of the city and the river, several road bridges...

Things I wish the game had: entertainment 'ploppables' as a service. There are lots of parks but I want to make a nightlife district near the university, or a downtown theatre area.

That's something I have noticed with lots of unity games, they tend to look bad in screenshots. Kerbal is the same. Not sure what it is about the engine that causes it. The antialiasing is rather bad it should be said.

I should post screenshots of my city, will have to do it tomorrow. I have a griddy city centre but outside of that every district has ended up quite different. Have now expanded into a fourth tile to the north where I will build some little commuter towns and suburbs.

Also I have clearly got a thing for bridges, have built far more than is needed. Pedestrian bridges, railway bridges, two motorway flyovers crossing the entire northwest of the city and the river, several road bridges...

Things I wish the game had: entertainment 'ploppables'. I want to make a nightlife district or a theatre area.

Um...Like the unique buildings, with the theatre and stuff?

Loving the game, it's just really satisfying. Will have to stick the Hard Mode mod on later, though, and start a new game with that as once you've got things down it does become a bit easy.

Though yeah, using grids for road systems has proven... problematic.

Here's my budding city at 27,000 inhabitants:

post-409-0-13841000-1426119453_thumb.jpg

(I like to split up my metropolis into disparate chunks, as you can see. Off camera, to the North-West, is the hydroelectric dam that, until my solar power station came online, was my main source of electricity.

Speaking of which - a view of the city from said hydroelectric dam:

post-409-0-20542200-1426119536_thumb.jpg

The colourful, polluted nightmare that is my North-Eastern industrial district (unlike my benignly pollution-free farming industry south of the river):

post-409-0-85581700-1426119563_thumb.jpg

My central financial district of offices and apartments:

post-409-0-25088100-1426119588_thumb.jpg

And my commercial centre to the south, complete with major tourist attraction to ensure the shops get plenty of passing business:

post-409-0-57762200-1426119654_thumb.jpg

I'm only at 'hamlet' stage but I've gone with a spacious grid kind of system with windmills in the middle of big residential squares and the dirty factory/sewage/landfill absolutely miles away near the bottom of the river. As a town planner, I make a great data entry clerk.

Those are unique! I want to put more than one in.

It's a very big theatre! (I assume it's actually a cinema, it's a bit weird if not). I have that, a sportsing stadium and a shitty mall as an out of town entertainment complex rather than a theatre district.

That reminds me of a question - if you have an out of town area like that, can you make the only access to it via the main (ie. pre-built) motorway without any loss of revenue, or does it need to be connected by user-built roads?

EDIT: Relatedly, what about if there is no road link to somewhere, only trains and metro?

It isn't especially graphically intensive, my frame rate is a bit crappy (doesn't affect gameplay at all) but that is more down to a weak CPU I suspect.

My rather old laptop runs it a lot better than the system requirements listed on the steam page suggested anyway. I think those are simply wrong as their website has a different set of reqs

Hmm, thanks - maybe I'll just give it a shot. It isn't that expensive, and if it runs like crap I can always run it on my PC or whatever machine I'll get in the future. I've been longing for some proper classic Sim City style building for ages.

Loving the game, it's just really satisfying. Will have to stick the Hard Mode mod on later, though, and start a new game with that as once you've got things down it does become a bit easy.

Though yeah, using grids for road systems has proven... problematic.

Here's my budding city at 27,000 inhabitants:

attachicon.gif2015-03-12_00001.jpg

Look at all that shit polluting that river! Nasty.

There's a sewage works unlocked later that removes 85% of the pollution. Although there is an achievement for less than 5%, so I think the game really wants you to use water towers, which makes industry much more awkward as towers can't be placed on anywhere with ground pollution.

Lovely, isn't it? Spare a thought for Shitsville, just downriver*

*I do actually wish the game included a Sim City 4 style patchwork of cities option, so I could actually make that happen.

Lovely, isn't it? Spare a thought for Shitsville, just downriver*

*I do actually wish the game included a Sim City 4 style patchwork of cities option, so I could actually make that happen.

You could do the 25 tile mod and make a separate-but-not-really-separate city.