Cities: Skylines - SimCity 2015

Rudi von Starnberg

I've picked this up today, looking forward to creating an absolute catastrophe later. I'm useless at these types of games but I'm great at creating "designed to fail" timebombs which is probably equally entertaining. Good on Paradox for out-simming Sim City!

I don't even have that sidebar - will randomly click about later :)

Tbh it seems pretty hard to fail so far - you can get into trouble but it's not too hard to get yourself out (traffic/roads excepted :))

But it's lovely and gentle world building fun

So a few "minutes" later and it's midnight

New attempt at city is coming along better - it's got farms and wood cutters. My massive OCD at keeping things in grids and to use all the space is definately doing me in - even with trying to construct a 1 way system

post-11679-0-08015800-1426291465_thumb.j

post-11679-0-74983900-1426291616_thumb.j

The traffic one really shows up the problem

I'm also, while loving the game, finding roads a real chore. What you can and can't upgrade seems annoying (and 1 way streets you can't make 2 way, or alter the 1 way without removing and replacing). So the traffic issues are causing garbage/fire truck problems too :(

I'm REALLY struggling with connecting motorways though. It just doesn't seem to fit (for example both the pre-made interchanges have the motorway carriages closer than they are on the maps).

Like it lots. Never gonna be very good at it though. Definitely shouldn't ever be in charge of a real city.

Any tips for bus routes? I've made loads but they don't seem to actually do anything. I have a lot of industrial buildings in need of workers but (despite my bus route attempts) my buses always turn up with only 2 or 3 passengers out of 30. I think my metro stuff is doing ok, but it's hard to tell if it's actually making any difference.

I had an industrial area calling for lots of workers so I built an intensive residential area near by and that seemed to solve it for a while. I built a train station last night just before bed, lets see how much I can fuck up a rail network. Great game!

This might be a silly question but could I run this on my laptop with just an Intel Core i5-3337U 1.8GHz and the HD graphics 4000 thing? This site seems to suggest I can http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?pid=1241&cpu=Core%20i5-3337U%201.8GHz but I'm not sure if they just mean the processor and that I'd need a seaprate graphics card or if they are taking into account that this is all I have.

Thanks.

Can You Run It?

This might be a silly question but could I run this on my laptop with just an Intel Core i5-3337U 1.8GHz and the HD graphics 4000 thing? This site seems to suggest I can http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?pid=1241&cpu=Core%20i5-3337U%201.8GHz but I'm not sure if they just mean the processor and that I'd need a separate graphics card or if they are taking into account that this is all I have.

Thanks.

If it's any help, I've got similar specs with my surface pro 2 and it runs terribly.

I had an industrial area calling for lots of workers so I built an intensive residential area near by and that seemed to solve it for a while. I built a train station last night just before bed, lets see how much I can fuck up a rail network. Great game!

I think they key thing with early industrial areas is the people need to be uneducated. Put a school in and your buggered.

I've built my industrial area by a river and can barely place a residential anywhere near it. I've even given it transport links but that doesn't seem to totally solve the problem.

My first city whilst successful is an ugly sprawling mess and I screwed up the train system, I mean it works but it is ugly. I want to start again and build an oasis but I feel that will take some intense planning beforehand rather than the scatty developments that led to my current mess. There's so much I haven't even experimented with such as zoning, it's a really cool game.

Of course! Search for greenmangaming VIP and you'll find it for around €20. Sorry I can't link as I'm on my phone

I'm at a party now and just want to go home and play this. I'm so terrible at it but it captures that Sim City 4 magic for me, albeit minus the humour. It's so great!