Cities: Skylines - SimCity 2015

Rudi von Starnberg

Is it a one way street?

No it is actually an area of my city that has good roads and low traffic. I googled it and found this article: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/03/cities-skylines-the-kotaku-review/ which is basically saying it's a bug. A shame if it is, I've spent hours on that city. Anyway I'm going to start again I think as I've learnt a lot from this first playthrough. Let me know if you experience similar problems. My population is at around 23k by the way.

I got up to 55k people so far but traffic management as I have gone on has become very difficult. The metro and buses help a bit but it was where I was falling down the most. That is after initial power issues where my power plant kept running out of fuel.

Good game overall though. You are just constantly fighting issues, you never seem to get in front of things.

Yeah traffic determines how good everything works. I think it may be a bit bugged as in the city I have now given up on I had an area where dead bodies were piling up. I put crematoriums all round that area and even next to this building that had dead people waiting and it didn't fix the issue. The funny thing is the traffic problems in my city were not even in that area but I guess when the hearses were going to other parts of the city they were getting stuck. Still you'd think building loads of crematoriums in that area with no real traffic issues would solve it but it didn't seem to.

I'm concentrating on building bigger roads now in my new city, I also think you have to not be scared to destroy large swathes of decent city just to fix traffic issues with bigger roads though I have yet to try this.

At approx 50k in my city and I've found spreading out my town into different areas and using highways to connect them works well. Each section generally ends up with at least two highway junctions so that he load of people swarming in/out doesn't block it up. Well designed intersections combined with smart one way road use and ramps rather than intersections keeps traffic flowing.

Yes my 'bugged' comment earlier on is wrong I think, after playing around with a new city you just have to be very very careful with road management as the city builds up - too many intersection close to each causes issues and making circular routes through the city seems to help. I like the highway idea and will use it once this new city gets big enough. I recommend checking the traffic sidebar often and trying to fix red areas as they will cause you issues eventually. I've lost hours to this game already!

I started a new city and my first port of call was to demolish those on/off roads clogging up traffic in Blu3flame's shot and rebuild them as higher capacity. Fucked it up at least three times and quit in frustration. Who needs a Godzilla or natural disaster mode? Just put me in charge of roads.

I wonder if EA are looking at this game's runaway success and wondering if they need to rethink the way they are going about their games, or if it doesn't change anything. Clearly the public appetite for a SimCity without all the shit EA added is very big, this Paradox one is doing it without the huge brand.

It is a bit weird though as SimCity sales exceeded 2m in the end. Granted that's over a longer period of time than Cities Skylines but I think it may struggle to sell that many. Is that because of the comparatively poor brand? It's possible people are wary of city builders now but surely the buzz has been good enough for people to take a chance.

I think I'm going to wait until the next patch is released to play any more. The devs have said they're looking at some traffic related bugs/issues and I'm curious if that will resolve the main problem I have at the moment. Rather than spend hours rebuilding the entire road infrastructure of my city I may aswell wait and see what happens with the upcoming patch.