Cities: Skylines - SimCity 2015

Rudi von Starnberg

Two million sales with the kind of pedigree Sim City has (I know I was tempted to buy the new one sight unseen thanks to my memories of Sim City 2000 and 4) can't be compared to an upstart with hardly any mindshare though - 500k sales is pretty awesome.

I started using trains to connect the big districts and now all my chain lines are more clogged than my traffic, everyone one is end to end carriages right out of the map :(

Mine did this, then I read the patch notes for v1.0.5 (the launched version) and it said it fixed the too many trains on the track issue, clearly it didn't.

500k! Awesome, even with the niggling issues this game is great and the devs deserve all the success they are now reaping.

Laid-off SimCity dev launches Patreon for creation of Cities: Skylines buildings

A former Maxis employee who worked on SimCity and its expansion, Cities of Tomorrow, has launched a Patreon to crowdfund the creation of Cities: Skylines buildings.

Bryan Shannon worked at Maxis Emeryville as an artist before he was laid-off in the final months of the much-loved EA-owned studio's life.

Fellow city builder Cities: Skylines already has hundreds of mods available, including a recreation of Los Santos from Grand Theft Auto 5 - just a week after launch.

Now, Shannon has got stuck in and released two items: "Coal Power Plant 01" and "In-and-Out Burger", through Steam Workshop.

They're part of a Patreon Shannon launched in the hope of funding Cities: Skylines content creation while he looks for a new job.

"I enjoy content creation for Cities: Skylines (CSL), and I'm currently in between jobs in the games industry," he writes.

"I'd love to generate content for a community that loves to mod their games, but the process takes a bit of time that takes away from my job search. So while I'm on the lookout for full-time work, or contracts as they come up, this is something I feel like we can all enjoy! More content!"

Earlier this month EA shut down Maxis Emeryville, the studio behind Spore and the recent SimCity game, as part of a move to "consolidate" Maxis IP development.

"The games industry is experiencing one of the hardest times right now," Shannon continued. "Many students are graduating from Game Art schools, many companies are going through layoffs as the economy is improving (that's right, the better the economy is doing, the less people are playing games! Sad days!).

"I, too, was laid off from the industry... specifically, Maxis of Emeryville in their final months. To keep my dream alive, I need to find work soon, or it might be time to start cleaning dishes and wrapping burritos. Instead, I'd rather be here working on artwork to inspire generations to come."

Shannon said a building typically takes between 15 and 30 hours to create, depending on size and complexity. "This is a significant amount of time taken out of my weeks that I could be looking for a job."

The video, below, is a time lapse of the seven hour production of Down-and-Out for Cities: Skylines.

Meanwhile, the sales success of Cities: Skylines continues. It's just shot through the 500,000 units sold mark - an impressive achievement for a game just a week old.

Paradox has also outlined the raft of Cities: Skylines bugs and issues it's set to tackle with updates.

In a post on the Paradox forum, community manager John Rickne said that while the launch of the game had gone smoothly, a number of problems had been identified

Top of the list is the following:

• Black screen on start-up
  • Grey Load/New Game button
  • Save issues (corrupted saves, saves not saving, cloud not working properly)
  • Poor performance on high end computers (mostly Linux)

There are also gameplay-related issues Paradox and developer Colossal Order is keeping an eye on:

• Commercial demand possibly being "killed" by parks and rec
  • Potential traffic AI issues/improvements
  • Cause/effect for workers getting to their jobs

Rickne warned Cities: Skylines players that Colossal Order was taking a cautious approach to gameplay rebalancing.

"We understand there's a lot of passion for this game and many of you want to see it grow in the best possible direction - your feedback is highly appreciated - but this does not mean we will 'blindly' do everything people ask for," he said.

"CO are very collected, down to earth developers. Do not expect knee-jerk balance / gameplay changes due to active feedback on a specific topic."

Cities: Skylines' first patch is expected soon, Rickne added. "CO are currently fully focusing on solving the core technical issues before we switch to working on the first major content update.

Mine did this, then I read the patch notes for v1.0.5 (the launched version) and it said it fixed the too many trains on the track issue, clearly it didn't.

I fixed it by making internal and external trainlines so I have one passenger station connected to the outside and a few freight stations but they are all isolated from my commuter trains and it seems to have solved the problem (i still get the odd build up around certain stations that i have to rejig).

Adapting the travel network feels 50/50 between doing it cos it's what the game wants you to do or doing it because it makes logical sense. Still highly enjoyable nailing some good traffic flow though! I really do need to delete the initial cluster fuck of roads that were placed with no planning though, all my service vehicles get stuck in there! It's like the narrows from batman or something!

Question: I noticed with the autosave mod it turns off achievements, is that the same for all mods?

That's 500,001 copies sold. What a lovely game. I haven't played a Sim City in like a decade so my town planning skills are very rusty, but this eases you in very nicely. I just passed the 1,000 residents mark and feeling a bit scared of what complexities lie ahead but it seems to explain everything pretty clearly.

Spotted a couple of bugs with the Chirpy tweets. Residents were complaining before I even had any!

I've found full garbage dumps don't send out trucks so making them empty regularly puts way more on the street, probs same for cemeteries. Cemetaries send out hearses to pick up the dead btw.

£14.69 at cdkeys. Even cheaper with the facebook discount...

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/cities-skylines-pc-cd-key

Thank you for this :)

Quick question; I'm an utter noob on 'proper' computer gaming, as I have a Mac and usually just play consoles. I do have Steam installed on my new MBP though, so if I buy this game from the link above, do I just enter the code and then it appears in my Steam list, ready to install?

Regarding emptying landfill sites or cemetaries - I pressed empty on one of my landfill sites as I wanted to bulldoze it and it stayed 31% full for ages so I gave up and stopped it - does this actually work? Was I just being impatient? I must have left it for 10 minutes or so.

The Deluxe version really isn't worth more than £2. The buildings are just a boost to tourism, not even a particularly big one, and are wholly unimpressive. Also you can't build the Statue of Liberty in the sea, so unless you've got a convenient island it's just left on land being wholly unimpressive.

Regarding emptying landfill sites or cemetaries - I pressed empty on one of my landfill sites as I wanted to bulldoze it and it stayed 31% full for ages so I gave up and stopped it - does this actually work? Was I just being impatient? I must have left it for 10 minutes or so.

It does work, but takes ages. I think it's done as a not-priority thing, which if you've also got traffic issues means it takes ages. But it definitely works, I moved all mine out of my city centre successfully.

I can't get it to load properly... whenever I boot it in Steam I get the first two splash screens, then the main menu comes up for a second, then it goes into a green back ground and the text is all off white blocks and I can't see anything :(