Rock Band 4

Yoshimax

6 hours ago, Munty Cakes said:

So, who's playing this week?  I'm still holding out hope we can reach Bloodstone at some point!

I'm definitely in this week, was a bit quiet last week but should have much more time over the next few days so let's go for it!  Not a bad challenge either, all things considered.

On bass I've FC'd the song that sounds like a cheap Amy Winehouse knock-off but the other two are much too difficult for me to play on anything other than Hard.

7 hours ago, Munty Cakes said:

So, who's playing this week?  I'm still holding out hope we can reach Bloodstone at some point!  That Recession song is a bit tricky though.  I'm glad there's loads of choice this week, though some bands have sneaked in on account of sounding like solo artists (Franz Ferdinand is a case in point!).

I will be playing tomorrow though I don't think I have many solo artists apart from Pat Benetar. 

I quite like that OneRepublic song too - I remember it from GH Live.

I wonder if we're due a Pop Week soon. It'll be funny because it will piss so many people off ("it's called ROCK Band!") but it'll be a really fun week on vocals. 

28 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I quite like that OneRepublic song too - I remember it from GH Live.

I wonder if we're due a Pop Week soon. It'll be funny because it will piss so many people off ("it's called ROCK Band!") but it'll be a really fun week on vocals. 

Counting Stars is definitely a lot more fun to sing than the other two (especially the dirge-fest Use Somebody, which pretty much marks the point where Kings of Leon went wrong).  I'd like a pop week, though this week has felt a bit like one anyway.  I've really enjoyed singing all our Stevie Wonder (though somehow mr twig kept choosing guitar and ended up playing the trumpet parts and missing all the excellent bass lines!).

Did we not have the feast and the famine a few weeks ago?! 

Anyway I for one am happy to see Use Somebody in there even if the rest of you aren't :-p

We did, someone really needs to start checking these things (perhaps they could 'Use Somebody')!  At least we've had practice at it though.  And Disturbed are usually good to sing (though possibly tricky on everything else...) and that Kings of Leon song sounds straightforward (but that could be because I can only remember the chorus at the moment).

I realised last week that you do quite a lot of singing, ryanski!  I started uncovering loads of songs you'd done, it was quite exciting because at times it feels like I'm the only singer (whereas mr twig will be over-taking other bassists/guitarists all over the place).

I feel your pain. I tend to avoid the spotlight songs, but on occasion I have played them, posted a high score beating Mr Twig's gold star score in the process.There I am, feeling all good about myself, only to have him leapfrog over my score later on and leave me with a big fat 0 next to my name on the spotlight contributions for another week.

I feel your pain. I tend to avoid the spotlight songs, but on occasion I have played them, posted a high score beating Mr Twig's gold star score in the process.There I am, feeling all good about myself, only to have him leapfrog over my score later on and leave me with a big fat 0 next to my name on the spotlight contributions for another week.

This is honestly the reason why I don't bother with spotlight anything anymore :P

I was playing something obscure on bass the other night and right at the end of the song a never-before-seen message popped up - "You have beaten Mystery Twig". I swear my son looked at me with new-found respect that evening.

Other than that one fluke, nah, no chance. I normally try and set early spotlight scores on bass but I know it's only a matter of time before Twig comes along and stomps them flat.

4 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I was playing something obscure on bass the other night and right at the end of the song a never-before-seen message popped up - "You have beaten Mystery Twig". I swear my son looked at me with new-found respect that evening.

No achievement for that? I bet it would be a really rare one as well.  

I'm a fairly decent singer, but I don't really know most of the melodies, so I get shitty scores. I also tend to automatically harmonise if I hear someone else singing a main melody, then I panic and try and get back to the main vocals then fluff it. I did enjoy singing along to some Dio last week, which was top fun. Probably not for my neighbours.

@Munty Cakes and @mdn2 Just out of interest, how long do you guys spend playing RB each week?

For me, it depends on how much time I have. I usually can only play on Sunday or Tuesday, but depending on what I'm doing that week, it can be anything from about 10 songs a week to about 50 on a good week. It doesn't help that Zelda has consumed my spare time at the minute, but I'm still trying to contribute. 

Well, Twig and I don't get out much due to children, so we're usually on for maybe an hour or two on Friday and Saturday night.  I volunteer on Mondays and Tuesdays so on the other days have time between school runs to do a few songs here and there.  I should probably get a proper job but I haven't worked out what it'll be yet!

I feel your pain with the melodies - I think it can be much harder to get notes when you sing because you don't know exactly where they are like you do with the instruments.  I find it really hard to harmonise, and only seem to get a vocal freestyle by accident - if I actually try to harmonise it all goes horribly wrong...