Rock Band 4

Yoshimax

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

You're gonna make Mystery Twig lose his hardcore credentials, y'know. ;)

Probably!  And I've already put a spanner in the works by suggesting that maybe he doesn't have to storm in and gold-star everything as soon as each challenge starts!  I should point out that the One Direction song was bought specifically for our seven year old but unfortunately I can't say the same for any of the others.

Just now, mdn2 said:

I bought a One Direction song one night when I'd had a few drinks and had some friends round. :blush:

It's easily done, don't worry - we won't judge you for it (not that we're in a position to do so anyway)!  Also, you'll be able to play it this week (if you want to) so it's all good.

And it'll be a first crew play too (unless it happens to be 'Drag Me Down')!

This week's tracks are really good actually, I didn't realise quite how many British songs we had (just over 200)!  I think even if they're on the list, they often get lost amongst all the Foo Fighters and Green Day.  It's nice to have a week without them for a change.

I don't even know which track it was, I'd had that much to drink. 

This week will be Queen, Elton John and David Bowie week for me, methinks. And maybe that One Direction song as well. Whatever it is. 

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 12:55, SteveH said:

Seems Madcatz are in financial trouble - putting it mildly.

Shamelessly nicked from NeoGaf:

Mad Catz’s new funding amounts to $30 million in two pieces. One element is a $20 million line of credit that will increase to $35 million from September 1 through December 31, 2015, in order to ship Rock Band 4. The other $10 million is secured funding to Mad Catz Europe (a wholly-owned subsidiary). That funding is termed at three years, but can be canceled by the lender with three months notice.

Mad Catz has reported that the opinion letter for its independent audit carries concerns over the company’s ability to pay its debts. An audit opinion letter, a document prepared by the independent auditor as a narrative accompaniment to the financial assessment, includes what is known as a “going concern” note.

This happens when a company is at risk of defaulting on its debt obligations. Mad Catz’s 2016 success hinges on the performance of Rock Band 4 (via co-publishing agreement with Harmonix), according to form 10-K filed with the SEC on June 25.

Does this mean you could potentially buy a whole new kit, only to find if it breaks that there is no one there to replace it? makes me wary.

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 13:04, mushashi said:

Mad Catz have essentially bet their future on this game being a hit, to the extent they are willing to borrow a fair whack to get it out of the door.

They were the company who've been the supplier of instruments to the series for a while, Activision uses somebody else to supply their plastic instruments.

Mad Catz has gone bankrupt.

From Reuters:

* Mad Catz Interactive - co, subsidiary, 1328158 Ontario Inc., made a voluntary assignment in bankruptcy on March 30, 2017

* Mad Catz Interactive Inc - Pricewaterhousecoopers Inc has been appointed as trustee in bankruptcy of company's estate

* Mad Catz Interactive-Mad Catz, Inc ceased operations, filed voluntary petition for relief under chapter 7 of U.S. Bankruptcy code to initiate orderly liquidation of assets

* Mad Catz Interactive - certain of co's other subsidiaries filed or will file for liquidation under comparable legislation in their countries of origin

* Mad Catz Interactive - announced that all of directors and officers of company have resigned effective as march 30, 2017

* Mad Catz Interactive - board of directors has been advised that co's lenders will not increase amount of its credit facilities beyond current levels

I feel sorry for the staff losing their jobs, that sucks. However, my Mad Catz RB4 kit is an utter piece of shit, so won't miss them. Who else is manufacturing plastic tat? I feel I should sell my Yamaha DTIII and buy some Roland V-Drums and a Midi adapter.

4 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I feel sorry for the staff losing their jobs, that sucks. However, my Mad Catz RB4 kit is an utter piece of shit, so won't miss them. Who else is manufacturing plastic tat? I feel I should sell my Yamaha DTIII and buy some Roland V-Drums and a Midi adapter.

I always hated the Rock Band instruments from day 1, but yeah, this is still obviously not a good thing.

Couldn't you just plug the Yamaha into a MIDI adapter?

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Who else is manufacturing plastic tat?

The Rivals instruments were manufactured by PDP, and are apparently a step up from the Mad Catz versions, but they were hard to get hold of, at least in the UK released in very limited quantities and only as either a Band In A Box or a standalone guitar.  They're totally unavailable now.

Hopefully we'll get another expansion towards the end of this year, and another run of instruments.  The drummers in particular need a steady flow of replacement kits!

36 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The Rivals instruments were manufactured by PDP, and are apparently a step up from the Mad Catz versions, but they were hard to get hold of, at least in the UK released in very limited quantities and only as either a Band In A Box or a standalone guitar.  They're totally unavailable now.

Hopefully we'll get another expansion towards the end of this year, and another run of instruments.  The drummers in particular need a steady flow of replacement kits!

Yes - well I do, at least. My red pad is held up with tape and an old drumstick and repeatedly fails to register hits, I have broken a cymbal, the bar to support the kick pedal has snapped, the height clamps don't work (more sellotape), I can't find a replacement/second kick pedal anywhere, the cymbal stands wobble like crazy and cause ghost hits on the yellow, the green and blue rotate away after a few hits - it's a complete shit-show. :lol: 

On 31/03/2017 at 18:43, shirubagan said:

Yes - well I do, at least. My red pad is held up with tape and an old drumstick and repeatedly fails to register hits, I have broken a cymbal, the bar to support the kick pedal has snapped, the height clamps don't work (more sellotape), I can't find a replacement/second kick pedal anywhere, the cymbal stands wobble like crazy and cause ghost hits on the yellow, the green and blue rotate away after a few hits - it's a complete shit-show. :lol: 

I would love to see you play the drums!  How can you get such good scores when the whole kit is basically falling apart?  I think we may have a spare pedal somewhere if you want it (Twig bought it in case ours broke but as we're both pretty bad at drumming we don't tend to bother, so don't need a spare!).

I've been trying all weekend to beat Twig's score on I Still Believe, by the way.  The most annoying thing about it is that my best score is exactly the same as his, but as he got there first he's the one on the board!  I just can't seem to do any better.

I'm still bemused by some of Twig's scores.  I'm not a great guitarist in this game but I've gradually fought my way up to a point where I'm reasonably proficient on bass (certainly a lot better than I was when Rivals came out) and I just don't know how he's getting those scores.  I can full combo a song, use overdrive as efficiently as I can but he still comes along and beats me, sometimes by a surprising margin.

Now I'm not complaining (it's good for the crew) but I am curious if there is any technique I'm missing.  I use the whammy bar on any extended white notes to increase the overdrive but beyond that I'm kind of out of options.  Do you score more points for HOPO-ing HOPOs, for instance?  Or is it purely the use of overdrive that's differentiating the scores?

3 hours ago, Munty Cakes said:

I would love to see you play the drums!  How can you get such good scores when the whole kit is basically falling apart?  I think we may have a spare pedal somewhere if you want it (Twig bought it in case ours broke but as we're both pretty bad at drumming we don't tend to bother, so don't need a spare!).

I've been trying all weekend to beat Twig's score on I Still Believe, by the way.  The most annoying thing about it is that my best score is exactly the same as his, but as he got there first he's the one on the board!  I just can't seem to do any better.

Garwoofoo's kid is the one you want to see drumming - his stats are way more impressive than mine!

29 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I'm still bemused by some of Twig's scores.  I'm not a great guitarist in this game but I've gradually fought my way up to a point where I'm reasonably proficient on bass (certainly a lot better than I was when Rivals came out) and I just don't know how he's getting those scores.  I can full combo a song, use overdrive as efficiently as I can but he still comes along and beats me, sometimes by a surprising margin.

Now I'm not complaining (it's good for the crew) but I am curious if there is any technique I'm missing.  I use the whammy bar on any extended white notes to increase the overdrive but beyond that I'm kind of out of options.  Do you score more points for HOPO-ing HOPOs, for instance?  Or is it purely the use of overdrive that's differentiating the scores?

I don't think HOPOs make a difference to the score.  As far as I can tell it's all about overdrive -  it's just about experimenting with the best time to set it off to hit the most notes, and never ever ever missing a single note.

Just found this intimidating list of things, but buggered if I know what they're all on about in there.

Oh shit, here's one somebody's trying to keep up to date with all the DLC.  There's tabs at the bottom for the different games and DLC.  I expect all of us to memorise everything in that document if we want to get to bloodstone.

25 minutes ago, mr twig said:

Just found this intimidating list of things, but buggered if I know what they're all on about in there.

Oh shit, here's one somebody's trying to keep up to date with all the DLC.  There's tabs at the bottom for the different games and DLC.  I expect all of us to memorise everything in that document if we want to get to bloodstone.

That's actually insane. It's taking OCD to the next level. 

On 23/03/2017 at 13:01, Garwoofoo said:

I was playing something obscure on bass the other night and right at the end of the song a never-before-seen message popped up - "You have beaten Mystery Twig". I swear my son looked at me with new-found respect that evening.

I too am now a member of the 'I beat Mystery Twig at a random song in Rock Band club.' It's a strange feeling. 

IMAG1226.jpg

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

I too am now a member of the 'I beat Mystery Twig at a random song in Rock Band club.' It's a strange feeling.

Congratulations!  I finally beat his singing score on I Still Believe today too (it took about fifteen attempts and I only beat him by a hundred or so points but it still counts!).

Well done everyone - we're in Diamond Tier again!  A heroic effort from Mystery Twig and Munty Cakes in particular this week.

Basically as soon as we get a week where we manage to compete on Spotlights, I think we're in with a shot at Bloodstone.  And we're gradually getting better at Spotlights, maybe only a percentage point or two each week but it feels like we're making progress.

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

@Munty Cakes was on 100 songs last time I checked - amazing work! 

Thanks!  I did stop at 100 in the end, I thought that was a nice round number.  I was approaching it anyway and thought I might as well go the extra mile!  Repeated plays of I Still Believe definitely helped (finally beating Twig's score was the highlight of my week, as I didn't think I'd ever manage to do it).  By the way, ryanski is amazing at singing Don't Look Back in Anger - I tried to beat his score but had no chance (I'm rubbish at either of the Gallaghers - just can't seem to get the notes right!).

Anyway, great work all round this week, well done you guys!