Rock Band 4

Yoshimax

Ha!  I sang Dream Genie last week, because it's a long song and good for XP (I can't say I enjoyed it!).  Three Lives sounds pretty impossible on guitar (if we end up with that song I suspect I will get to hear the intro a lot as Twig tries to perfect it and I wait patiently for the singing bit, approximately 6 minutes in!).  My Demons doesn't sound too bad in comparison...

So, having rebought an Xbox One, I finally got around to buying RB4 plus instruments last weekend,* imported my RB1-3 tracks and DLC, and got stuck in.

And it's... pretty great? I'd been worried about the negative press I remembered from launch, and was a little bit disappointed by the reduced customisation options, but overall it's been really solid: I enjoyed the touring mode, and having new guitars that aren't falling apart has reminded me of just how much I love the series. Enough so that I bought Rivals, primarily for the extra tracks and the single player additions. But now I find myself wondering about the eponymous mode itself; I'd initially ignored it assuming it was all about online multiplayer, but I've now realised that it's actually an asynchronous team scoring thing?

I've been missing the gently competitive side of the game (the only really active Rock Band players I was friends with never got a Bone, so I've not had any leaderboard squabbling since RB3 - blasting past more casual friends' scores 30 seconds into a song isn't particularly satisfying), and this seems like it might scratch that itch. Only, I'd rather not team up with complete randoms if at all possible, so I was wondering if a) there's an active Xbox One crew** here, and b) that they'd be looking for any members? Probably worth flagging up that while I'm a reasonably decent singer (I stick to expert/brutal level, and according to the app have a skill of 922, whatever that means), I'm only alright at guitar/bass (harder songs I tend to have to drop down to Hard for in single player), and have no drums.

(I appreciate I'm rather late to this party)

*well, guitars, because good god the price of drums now that they've been out of production for a while

**assuming that crews can't be cross-platform

@Wiper    Hey if you want an invite to the rllmuk rivals crew that's not a problem at all. There's one space that can be filled so you'd be most welcome. 

We are an Xbox one crew and being great at it isn't overly important, if you can contribute like 20 songs a week then you'll be a very valued member of the team. 

Hmmm. I’ll try. The problem is he’s really progressed with his real drums and the layout and feel of the RB kit is now really offputting for him, so he’s not wanted to play for a while. Perhaps if I go back to it I can persuade him to pick it up again. I’ll see what I can do.

I did look into seeing if I could connect his proper kit up to RB4 somehow, but it’s not got a MIDI output, just USB, and the two adaptors we’d need even with a MIDI kit are basically unobtainable, so I don’t think it can be done. 

Having spent a few hours last night* guitaring my way down the challenge list, and a few hours this evening singing my way back down other parts of it, I was a little bemused to go into the section of the Rivals hub that lets you browse to individual contributions to see... myself not in the list at all. Is this normal? I'm definitely online, all of my scores are definitely posting to the generic global leaderboards, so I'd assumed my contributions would be being counted!

Just to check I'm right in my process and understanding of the system: I've been going into the Rivals Hub, pressing the orange button/RB to bring up the challenge songs, then, well, playing them - that should contribute XP (and, if I placed high enough, LP), right? Or is it solely the Spotlight songs that contribute?

*well, early morning

Yeah there's nothing showing up for us that you've played either to be fair. I'm guessing that whatever list you're playing may not be the right one? Certainly going into the rivals mode and seeing the list of songs you should see plus signs beside the songs for a first play bonus if you've not done them yet, and also a social bonus beside songs that others in the crew have already played. Do you see that? 

1 hour ago, ryanski said:

Yeah there's nothing showing up for us that you've played either to be fair. I'm guessing that whatever list you're playing may not be the right one? Certainly going into the rivals mode and seeing the list of songs you should see plus signs beside the songs for a first play bonus if you've not done them yet, and also a social bonus beside songs that others in the crew have already played. Do you see that? 

Yeah, that's definitely the list I've been using - I've even been getting the social bonuses to my XP on the relevant tracks (though no First Play bonuses on any). And popped the Mission for playing 10 challenge-eligible songs.

Well this last 4 or 5 days the servers have been flaky which is unusual. Once they drop none of the songs will then register. I'm guessing this is what has happened. You'll learn to notice the lack of other bonuses and know it's happened. Thankfully they only seem to go down for 10mins at a time but until you sign in again your current setlist from the point it drops is wasted. Very annoying, but up until this last week it never happened before. 

I tried again just now and still no joy, but a bit more searching has revealed that it's a thing Harmonix just introduced: people joining a crew mid-challenge no longer contribute XP (apparently to stop bonus-farming) - hopefully that means that when the challenge changes over tomorrow I'll actually be able to contribute! 

Edit: fixed the link

Well Thursday sees the 8th and final week of this current season begin  which is generally when we attain bloodstone status. We could have easily done it this week had we had more xp from more of the crew, but such is life,  they're a lazy lot and get distracted by other games. 

I've been trying this week. My issue is I rarely play on the XBox any more and my other half has taken over my profile on there. He's been working late last week and this week though so I should hopefully get some evenings in. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm...I love singing Centuries (though I do cringe at the Tom's Diner bits - wish they'd left them out!).  I don't know that Maroon 5 song but am reluctant to get it as they tend to churn out drippy ballads (with the exception of This Love, which is actually decent, and Moves Like Jagger which is less so).  This article about the Pina Colada song is good, but I still don't want to sing it!

https://medium.com/@webby2001/eight-troubling-details-from-escape-the-piña-colada-song-that-do-not-bode-well-for-a-healthy-babce36798b2