• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Guys, really long shot but does anyone have a legacy adapter for Xbox that they'd be willing to let go of for a semi reasonable sum? Failing that an Xbox One drum kit or band in a box they want rid of? I know it's very unlikely but any help hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Oh my word the Rockband stuff for the Xbox One sells for insane money. I bought two of the Rock Band 4 Rivals game and guitar bundles from GAME for £20 each around Christmas 2017. I sold them shortly afterwards when I was moving house and was trying to reduce the amount of stuff I had for a small profit. I also had the wireless adaptor bundle. Which I think i sold for £40 and was surprised at the time it sold for that much.

Looks like no Rock Band for me :(

Yeah the prices have absolutely sky rocketed. I spent a good few months trying to track down the kit here in Denmark for a reasonable price and ultimately had no luck at all with Xbox stuff so ended up buying the stuff for PS4 and then just rebuying the DLC I wanted. Obviously lost all my imports and some of the delisted stuff but at least I can play the game again. 

For me I ended up getting lucky on Facebook Marketplace, definitely worth searching every couple of days, you may luck out. 

• Upvote 1

Bit the bullet and sourced a new legacy  adapter and a basically new Xbox 360 Beatles band set for £260 which felt decent even though it's clearly expensive, there should be resell in both though so that helped justify it. My first RB on XBox and now I'm set I'm hoping to buy all the 360 games so I can play the whole series again on 360 alongside RB4 on the One with the same instruments.

The driver behind my recent obsession with getting back into RB is my 6 year old daughter who is mad about RB4, like I used to be with everything up to RB3. Seeing her singing There's No Other Way while I'm on the guitar is awesome and it's an experience I never had before as my wife and i never used to sing or even play multiplayer, it was usually just me playing. It genuinely is a fantastic party game and perfect for our blossoming gaming partnership (she legit beat me on Mario Kart for the first time not long ago!). Since RB first came out I've started playing real drums too so this will be an opportunity for my daughter to get her head around some the concepts before she uses my kit for real. 

It's been a totally overpriced headfuck to get to where I am again now but I'm pleased I did it. I've had to move from my previous RB dlc, instruments and game exports on ps3 (basically i had everything you could export) because i stopped using my PS4 on account of how loud it is, and the whole thing has set me back the best part of 500 but it feels like a new experience again and that's really nice after all those years of Rock Band loving and subsequent years where I forgot all about it.

Tl;dr I needed RB in my life and it's not a cheap game to have a sudden desire to play on a new system but very happy to be up to date. 

• Upvote 7

Yeah it’s such a shame where it’s all ended up. They did a heroic job resurrecting the series, getting all the songs ported across, creating their legacy adaptors and keeping the weekly DLC coming... and it’s all kind of fallen apart because no one’s made any instruments for years. The drum kits in particular have a limited lifespan and are rare as anything (doubly so if you want the cymbals too). Every Harmonix post on social media is dominated by people crying out for instruments. I can’t imagine anyone new is picking up this game at all, it’s just a small rump of dedicated fans desperately patching up old kit and trying to keep playing as long as they can. 

• Upvote 2

I hadn't played the drums since I moved flat in 2012. Just never got around to hooking them up and playing. Moved again in 2017 and still didn't play until about a week ago.

I was surprised by how quickly I picked it up again, though I think something to do with the charting has changed in Pro Drums in the move to 4. Or maybe that's my excuse.

I'm really happy with what they've done with RB4 though, having almost all my catalogue moved across has been fantastic. But I've mostly lost interest in the weekly song releases. Used to be that I'd eagerly await the announcement - classic bands, full albums, etc. Nowadays the trickle of two songs per week, usually music I don't really know, so it's harder to maintain the interest there.

Some of that's on me - I'm not much of a music buff, don't listen to the radio, etc. Rock Band introduced me to a lot over the years though. 

• Upvote 2

I've still got my RB4 Band-in-a-box sealed in the spare room from back when Argos were selling them off for £50. Managed to get the additional cymbals from Amazon for about £20 too but, again, they're sealed still.

Can't remember the last time I played. With RB3 I'd play about 3 or 4 times a week with friends coming over but, possibly due to the bare bones way 4 launched, it kind of fell by the wayside.

1 minute ago, Parappa said:

i have a couple of GH live guitars (PS4) and a set of wired Xbox 360 RB Drums - can any of this be used with Rock Band 4 on PS4?

You’re out of luck I think. The GH Live guitars are totally different and not compatible with Rock Band at all. And there’s never been any way to use PS instruments on an Xbox or vice versa. Maybe you could do it with adaptors but I wouldn’t fancy your chances. 

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

You’re out of luck I think. The GH Live guitars are totally different and not compatible with Rock Band at all. And there’s never been any way to use PS instruments on an Xbox or vice versa. Maybe you could do it with adaptors but I wouldn’t fancy your chances. 

Thanks - I suspected as much.  Think I will just stick with Clone Hero then for now. 

22 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I hadn't played the drums since I moved flat in 2012. Just never got around to hooking them up and playing. Moved again in 2017 and still didn't play until about a week ago.

I was surprised by how quickly I picked it up again, though I think something to do with the charting has changed in Pro Drums in the move to 4. Or maybe that's my excuse.

Harmonix have a lot of heart and I will always love and respect them, but the drum charting in Rock Band was never really much good, to be honest. Odd decisions were made in the first game which they then kept in every subsequent version.

The two most obvious ones are putting open hi-hats on a different colour than closed - which is nonsensical at best, and makes some songs almost impossible at worst - and the total crapshoot that is bass drum notation. It's anybody's guess which notes they'll chart and which ones they'll omit, especially in songs with double bass.

By comparison, every Guitar Hero game from Metallica onwards did an essentially flawless job with the drum notation. I can only think of one or two songs where there are obvious discrepancies, and one of those is by Dethklok and features a superhuman performance from Gene Hoglan so it's not surprising that they dumbed it down a bit for the game.

(edited to add: here is that song, covered flawlessly by a superb YouTube drummer.)

• Upvote 1

Update on my continued Rock Band revival and it's fairly significant and epic - Pro Drums and CUSTOM SONGS (OMG!!!!11!1), LOADS OF CUSTOM SONGS.

Found a 3 cymbal RB3 pack and wireless beatles drums set for £100 to go alongside the full Beatles Rock Band kit I bought (basically new) fror £150, and the cymbals really do add another dimension and makes the kit look awesome too. Loving it.

I also got myself a 360 (With Rb Green Day, Beatles and AC/DC as well as RB1 and 3) and on looking into 3 a little more I found it was super easy to run customs on the 360 and sure enough it was a piece of piss and I now have a huge setlist of incredible content. Eveything is authored and created with real care and passion and is incredbly fun to play with a MASSIVE variety amongst the thousands of customs available - I had no idea this was a thing but I'm super glad I do now.  

Incredible scenes and well worth jumping back in if peeps can get up and running on RB3 on 360 easily enough. 

• Upvote 1

Customs are great but it had to be proper multitracks for me. When the guitar tracks still playing despite missing the note, I'm taken right out of it.

Some of the official RB4 songs do that, too. It sucks balls.

I dunno man, initially I was like that, I was genuinely gutted when I first tried one and realised that's how most of them work, I switched it off hugely disappointed and then went on a download spree of only the multitrack tunes. Then last night I had another go on a load of the non-multitrack customs and had a blast, if you set a difficulty that means you don't miss as many ie: hard iinstead of expert, then I found I I actually didn't really notice it.  I mean, it makes a noise if you hit the wrong note or strum at the wrong time which helps and my wife remarked she enjoyed it more because she could just listen to the song without important notes not sounding when I screw up.

Not ideal but more than acceptable in my opinion, considering the library on offer. 

I can never select a difficulty below Expert. It's just not in me.

Not because I'm amazing or anything, I just find it makes easy sections dull to play. It'd be great if there was a way of setting it up so it reduces the difficulty of complex charts, but keeps the rest as it is.

• Upvote 1

How's the crew doing these days?

My son's gone back to this over lockdown, trying to teach himself guitar and bass, so he's on most days. He says he's been dropped from the crew though (which is fair enough as he hasn't played in years). If there's space to add him then he'd probably add some points for the crew just meandering around on Quick Play.  (If there's no space then you can probably remove me and add him...)

8 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

My son's gone back to this over lockdown, trying to teach himself guitar and bass, so he's on most days. He says he's been dropped from the crew though (which is fair enough as he hasn't played in years). If there's space to add him then he'd probably add some points for the crew just meandering around on Quick Play.  (If there's no space then you can probably remove me and add him...)

There's a guy called Patrick something who I don't think is from the forum, and I haven't ever noticed him playing anyway- I could kick him out and add your boy back in? We added our 8-year-old last week because he's getting into playing the guitar/bass, so we'll definitely be playing when the next season starts!

On a related note I'm after some wireless drums, if anybody wants to send me some 360/xbox one wireless drums then I will send you whatever you want in return (money. A small amount of money).

8 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I've sent him an invite, I assume he's still using the same account!

• Upvote 1

Didn't notice these posts til now, if some of you guys are back on rivals that would drag me back too. There's plenty of leeway for adding people from here as I had opened the crew up to randomers at some point to have active players. 

• 2 weeks later...

So my PS4 RB4 Band-in-a-Box sits unused in the spare room.

I honestly thought that when we moved into this bigger house I'd be able to set it up and rock out!!

But no, especially not with another baby on the way.

Are the instruments worth anything?

Totally unused (never removed from the packaging) wireless drums and wireless guitar along with a sealed set of pro cymbals.

Obviously the size of the drums is going to make postage a bit pricey.

17 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

So my PS4 RB4 Band-in-a-Box sits unused in the spare room.

I honestly thought that when we moved into this bigger house I'd be able to set it up and rock out!!

But no, especially not with another baby on the way.

Are the instruments worth anything?

Totally unused (never removed from the packaging) wireless drums and wireless guitar along with a sealed set of pro cymbals.

Obviously the size of the drums is going to make postage a bit pricey.

A small fortune. The Xbox One accessories seem a little more expensive, but you're looking at the best part of GBP 100 each (if not more if still sealed) for the guitar, drum kit, cymbals.