Rock Band 4

Yoshimax

Hi everyone, I've not posted on here for ages!  I did a bit of singing this week, accompanied by my 9 year old on drums.  The app won't tell me if we've gone up but I think we must've done - we were on 84% last time I looked.  I have also purchased the sheet music for Scenes from an Italian Restaurant so I can learn how to play the piano part in real life - it's so hard but I'm really enjoying giving it a go, all sixteen pages of it!  Thanks to Garwoofoo for telling me about it in the first place. 

Oddly enough we've been back to it this week too, I even dug out the drums for the first time in ages only to find that my skills have completely deserted me :lol:  Didn't look at Rivals mode, though, just had a fun time playing a few old favourites.

Still a great game and I can't quite believe that they are still releasing weekly DLC for it all these years later. I've not heard of most of the tracks they've released lately but that reflects my advancing years rather than their taste in music, I feel.

• 1 month later...

I've been off it for a while due to bruised ribs so it was just a relief to be back on drums pain free. Well that and the companion app servers being rubbish for a few weeks. 

Wish they would hurry up and announce a next gen version, even though that will inevitably end up with faffing about getting all our DLC songs sorted and instrument compatibility. 

5 hours ago, ryanski said:

Wish they would hurry up and announce a next gen version, even though that will inevitably end up with faffing about getting all our DLC songs sorted and instrument compatibility. 

I don't think they will - it's hard to see what they would do with it really apart from slightly fancier characters and backgrounds, and who really spends their time looking at those? They could probably have done more with those just on the Xbox One if they'd wanted to devote the development time to it.

The game, all the instruments and all the DLC work on the Series X already (I assume it's the same for the PS5) so there's not a whole lot that needs to be done.

• 3 weeks later...

Rock band is the reason my son started drumming age 11 and is now 25 and in a band that are doing ok.  Last gig they supported Benji Webb from Skindred. 

He also plays bass and guitar. It's all down to these plastic instrument games initially. 

• 1 month later...

Starting playing again last few weeks, got into a habit of jumping on over the weekend and playing a few of the songs for the weeks rival challenge. 

Was on early yesterday, made a nice change getting a few number 1/10,000 xp spots, although I'll lose em in no time for sure, I'm sooooo out of practice on guitar, don't have the muscle memory or quickness I used to when I was playing every day. Would like to keep at it though and maybe get better than previous, I still really struggle with crazy HO/PO sequences and parts with loads of double strumming 😕

11 hours ago, Varsity said:

Starting playing again last few weeks, got into a habit of jumping on over the weekend and playing a few of the songs for the weeks rival challenge. 

Was on early yesterday, made a nice change getting a few number 1/10,000 xp spots, although I'll lose em in no time for sure, I'm sooooo out of practice on guitar, don't have the muscle memory or quickness I used to when I was playing every day. Would like to keep at it though and maybe get better than previous, I still really struggle with crazy HO/PO sequences and parts with loads of double strumming 😕

I felt the same coming back — I remember the good old days of feeling like I knew my way around the drums. These days I’m a flailing mess!

I’ve been playing the rockumentary mode with the kids though and, for all the cringe, what a fun idea. Wish it’d been something they could build on/follow up on over time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still playing Expert Pro Drums daily on my Alesis Surge but I'm mainly on Clone Hero now. To be honest I prefer the calibration and drum mapping of Clone Hero to RB,  and there's the small matter of me having 4k songs on there now too 😍Mad to think back to March last year when I decided I needed to get back in to Rock Band, all the money I spent on RB drums and cymbals, guitars, an ION rocker and then my Alesis Surge, oh and masses of DLC bought or doubled up on (moved from PS to Xbox) and in the end I'm playing Clone Hero for free with nearly every track ever released, with drum support, for every RB and a ton of GH's and 1500 mostly awesome customs. Wish I'd known about it to start with but hey ho, I'm still having a blast and it's safe to say my drumming has gotten significantly better. Might do a few videos if anyone's interested? :) 

It'd be interesting to know my playtime stats, I've played it for 1 to 3 hours most days for over a year and a half (still nowhere near bored of it, it's crazy..). I urge people to check out Clone Hero if they haven't but its not super straightforward, particularly drum support which isn't in the official release on their website) so lmk if you need any pointers.

\m/

Edit - Oh and I have played so much I've broken 2 foot pedals completely, burnt right through the rubber on my hi-hat cymbal to the plastic underneath, totally snapped the metal pole of my throne so it's totally unusable and upgraded the bass drum and my snare to more expensive components because of wear and tear 😂

• 1 month later...

Yeah, that's incredibly concerning. While Harmonix is a small team working in a niche genre and has benefited in the past from being part of a larger outfit, there's absolutely nothing in there that suggest they'll be developing new projects of their own. Just "we're not going to shut anything down" and "now we are working on Fortnite".