Jump to content
IGNORED

Rock Band 4


Yoshimax
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I've not posted on here for ages!  I did a bit of singing this week, accompanied by my 9 year old on drums.  The app won't tell me if we've gone up but I think we must've done - we were on 84% last time I looked.  I have also purchased the sheet music for Scenes from an Italian Restaurant so I can learn how to play the piano part in real life - it's so hard but I'm really enjoying giving it a go, all sixteen pages of it!  Thanks to Garwoofoo for telling me about it in the first place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oddly enough we've been back to it this week too, I even dug out the drums for the first time in ages only to find that my skills have completely deserted me :lol:  Didn't look at Rivals mode, though, just had a fun time playing a few old favourites.

 

Still a great game and I can't quite believe that they are still releasing weekly DLC for it all these years later. I've not heard of most of the tracks they've released lately but that reflects my advancing years rather than their taste in music, I feel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I've been off it for a while due to bruised ribs so it was just a relief to be back on drums pain free. Well that and the companion app servers being rubbish for a few weeks. 

Wish they would hurry up and announce a next gen version, even though that will inevitably end up with faffing about getting all our DLC songs sorted and instrument compatibility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ryanski said:

Wish they would hurry up and announce a next gen version, even though that will inevitably end up with faffing about getting all our DLC songs sorted and instrument compatibility. 

 

I don't think they will - it's hard to see what they would do with it really apart from slightly fancier characters and backgrounds, and who really spends their time looking at those? They could probably have done more with those just on the Xbox One if they'd wanted to devote the development time to it.

 

The game, all the instruments and all the DLC work on the Series X already (I assume it's the same for the PS5) so there's not a whole lot that needs to be done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Rock band is the reason my son started drumming age 11 and is now 25 and in a band that are doing ok.  Last gig they supported Benji Webb from Skindred. 

 

He also plays bass and guitar. It's all down to these plastic instrument games initially. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Starting playing again last few weeks, got into a habit of jumping on over the weekend and playing a few of the songs for the weeks rival challenge. 

 

Was on early yesterday, made a nice change getting a few number 1/10,000 xp spots, although I'll lose em in no time for sure, I'm sooooo out of practice on guitar, don't have the muscle memory or quickness I used to when I was playing every day. Would like to keep at it though and maybe get better than previous, I still really struggle with crazy HO/PO sequences and parts with loads of double strumming 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Varsity said:

Starting playing again last few weeks, got into a habit of jumping on over the weekend and playing a few of the songs for the weeks rival challenge. 

 

Was on early yesterday, made a nice change getting a few number 1/10,000 xp spots, although I'll lose em in no time for sure, I'm sooooo out of practice on guitar, don't have the muscle memory or quickness I used to when I was playing every day. Would like to keep at it though and maybe get better than previous, I still really struggle with crazy HO/PO sequences and parts with loads of double strumming 😕


I felt the same coming back — I remember the good old days of feeling like I knew my way around the drums. These days I’m a flailing mess!

 

I’ve been playing the rockumentary mode with the kids though and, for all the cringe, what a fun idea. Wish it’d been something they could build on/follow up on over time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I'm still playing Expert Pro Drums daily on my Alesis Surge but I'm mainly on Clone Hero now. To be honest I prefer the calibration and drum mapping of Clone Hero to RB,  and there's the small matter of me having 4k songs on there now too 😍Mad to think back to March last year when I decided I needed to get back in to Rock Band, all the money I spent on RB drums and cymbals, guitars, an ION rocker and then my Alesis Surge, oh and masses of DLC bought or doubled up on (moved from PS to Xbox) and in the end I'm playing Clone Hero for free with nearly every track ever released, with drum support, for every RB and a ton of GH's and 1500 mostly awesome customs. Wish I'd known about it to start with but hey ho, I'm still having a blast and it's safe to say my drumming has gotten significantly better. Might do a few videos if anyone's interested? :) 

 

It'd be interesting to know my playtime stats, I've played it for 1 to 3 hours most days for over a year and a half (still nowhere near bored of it, it's crazy..). I urge people to check out Clone Hero if they haven't but its not super straightforward, particularly drum support which isn't in the official release on their website) so lmk if you need any pointers.

 

\m/

 

Edit - Oh and I have played so much I've broken 2 foot pedals completely, burnt right through the rubber on my hi-hat cymbal to the plastic underneath, totally snapped the metal pole of my throne so it's totally unusable and upgraded the bass drum and my snare to more expensive components because of wear and tear 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Yeah, that's incredibly concerning. While Harmonix is a small team working in a niche genre and has benefited in the past from being part of a larger outfit, there's absolutely nothing in there that suggest they'll be developing new projects of their own. Just "we're not going to shut anything down" and "now we are working on Fortnite".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, and for the first time in ages I actually know all the songs!  That Little River Band song was surprisingly lovely last week though.  I'd never heard it before and had to sing it loads before gold-starring it because the vocals went all over the place and practice mode wasn't working.  My 9 year old - our resident drummer - took the job of helping me work out what the notes were very seriously (I didn't ask him but he's a helpful soul)!

 

What will Jock Band songs be then?  I'm predicting lots of landfill indie and some Oasis?  Maybe Motley Crue?  Hmm...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been having a bit of a clear out and I'm looking to offload some old Rock Band instruments. Not sure if anyone here would be interested in any of this but I thought I'd put it up here as I'd far rather it all went to someone here than some random eBay scalper.

 

All this stuff is now pretty hard to find in good working order.

 

I have:

 

- Beatles Rock Band drums, with cymbals. Well used but as far as I know the drums work fine. The cymbals are a bit knackered but someone with more mechanical aptitude than me could probably fix them up.

- Rock Band 3 keyboard

- Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar

- Beatles Rock Band Hofner Bass

- Possibly another guitar or two - not sure!

 

Now all of this stuff is 360-gen kit so you'd need to be either playing on a 360 or have the 360 adaptor for newer machines. The keyboard and Pro Guitar only work on Rock Band 3, no other game supported them.

 

None of this has been used for a few years but it should all be in good working order. Not sure if I even have the ability to test it any more.

 

Obviously that's a lot of kit so you'd either have to pay for a courier or come collect it from North London.

 

DM me if you have any interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2021 at 10:09, Garwoofoo said:

Been having a bit of a clear out and I'm looking to offload some old Rock Band instruments. Not sure if anyone here would be interested in any of this but I thought I'd put it up here as I'd far rather it all went to someone here than some random eBay scalper.

 

All this stuff is now pretty hard to find in good working order.

 

I have:

 

- Beatles Rock Band drums, with cymbals. Well used but as far as I know the drums work fine. The cymbals are a bit knackered but someone with more mechanical aptitude than me could probably fix them up.

- Rock Band 3 keyboard

- Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar

- Beatles Rock Band Hofner Bass

- Possibly another guitar or two - not sure!

 

Now all of this stuff is 360-gen kit so you'd need to be either playing on a 360 or have the 360 adaptor for newer machines. The keyboard and Pro Guitar only work on Rock Band 3, no other game supported them.

 

None of this has been used for a few years but it should all be in good working order. Not sure if I even have the ability to test it any more.

 

Obviously that's a lot of kit so you'd either have to pay for a courier or come collect it from North London.

 

DM me if you have any interest.

I'd be interested in the PRO guitar if it's still available mate?

 

In other news, I've been meaning to start doing some videos of my drumming on Clone Hero and although the editing is particularly rough around the edges (and has a watermark) I appear to have managed to do it.


For anyone who is interested you can see me playing Jon Bon Jovi here - 

 

 

I am intending to do a video for all 157 Beatles tracks I have on CH but also happy to do any requests :) There's 4600 odd tracks so everything from the full RB and GH catalogue (DLC and disc) is there :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Had a bit of a party/gathering and dug the full kit out for the first time in... I can't remember how long! Nice to play the drums again, and everyone loved getting on the microphones. :D

 

However...

- Using multiple mics on PS4 is a right pain the posterior. We had a dead mic for a good hour before we realised you have to assign each mic to a PS4 profile, and when we did it seemed to throw the drum calibration off. WTF?

- I'm sure there used to be an option to disable other instruments from doing stuff in the menus. Is that not a thing?

- One of two guitars just wouldn't work until I moved all the instruments around to different USB slots. I still have no idea why.

 

And finally...
- How is it seven years since release and Rock Band 4 still doesn't have a STATIC VOCALS option? :quote:

 

I'm glad Rock Band didn't die with the third game, but it certainly peaked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

I'm glad Rock Band didn't die with the third game, but it certainly peaked.

 

Yeah, Rock Band 4 never really reached the same heights as the previous entry. The amount of work involved in simply transferring people's libraries over to a new console generation seemed enormous. And for some reason they kept doubling down on stuff like avatar customisation which I'm sure for most people isn't remotely the appealing thing about the game.

 

I have noticed though that the quality of DLC seems to have improved significantly in the last two or three months. We've had nothing notable for years but suddenly there's been a spate of classic older songs that I've actually heard of and want to play. I wonder if they're planning to shut it all down again sometime soon and they're just putting out all the stuff they licensed before they do.

 

I can't imagine there are many people playing this any more at all really. No-one's got working instruments, it seems, and you haven't been able to get new ones for years. Getting Rock Band 4 at all, let alone nearly another ten years of weekly DLC, was pretty much a miracle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Six and a half years is miracle enough without rounding it upwards. That's a year longer than the original run of DLC for RB 1-3.

 

Apologies, for some reason I had it in my head that this came out in 2013. Getting it confused with the release date of the Xbox One I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

IMG_20220617_234440.jpg.d6b5c8b5e78407bdf3804911db7377ec.jpg

 

Not quite the bargain I was hoping for but at least I found a set! :D

 

Once I've tested them out, I should see if I can get some good new songs for pro drums. I haven't bought any DLC in about five years, what good'uns can people recommend? (Not necessarily hard drums, just anything with interesting rhythms and variety.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.