IGNORED

Rock Band 4

Yoshimax

Good recommendations, thanks. :) It's interesting to note that a lot of these are from RB1 or early DLC. Back when the concept had to sell itself, the drums had to be awesome in their own right. (Which they are!)

I think some of those tracks would really come into their own on the higher difficulties. I'm playing on Medium for the moment, until I've got my head around which cymbal pad does which thing - I keep getting green and blue confused as they're close together. My brain is slowly acclimatising to the changed icons, and my hands learning where to reach to find each pad. It's so cool!

I'll knock it up to Hard again soon, once I've got some more confidence. Harmonix did a terrific job in scaling most tracks down to easier levels without losing the feel of the piece. Even on Medium (Pro), Shoot to Thrill is an absolute banger! :D

I imported Rock Band when it first came out in the US (that was an expensive shipment!) but a few months after that, I moved into a small first-floor flat with wooden floors, and so regular play on the drums become impractical, even with sound dampening. Fourteen years later, and I'm now in a spacious carpeted house, I've got new drums, and I'm ready to rock again! I have certainly missed this. 🥲

Hot damn, just five-starred a couple of moderate songs on Hard pro drums. I love the mini-fills here and there, very satisfying when you roll them with both hands and perfectly land on the next note. So much fun! So much faster! And now I'm sweaty and have a blister on my thumb. :D

I remember the main obstacle back when I first started playing being the foot pedal, and allowing my foot to do its own thing independently of my hands. Thankfully, I seem to be managing that okay now. Little off-beats and on-beats are fine so long as they don't go too mad.

Edited by Sprite Machine

On 21/06/2022 at 10:10, Sprite Machine said:

I'll knock it up to Hard again soon, once I've got some more confidence.

Only a week later and I'm confidently playing every song on Hard Pro drums (even nightmare difficulty) and generally getting five stars (a few fours here and there). I have tried a few easy songs on Expert and managed OK but it will be a while before I can handle the harder songs. Mind you, Expert Pro drums is basically just drumming, so I don't feel too bad about finding it difficult!

I've never actually drummed, but Pro drums 'feels' like how I imagine real drumming feels. It's kind of euphoric at times. Maybe I missed a calling in life! I've loved rhythm games for years and Pro drums is honestly the most fun I've had with a music game since Osu Tatakae Ouendan on the DS. :wub:

I misremembered when Pro drums was introduced. I thought Rock Band 2 had pro drumming (as I have RB2 branded cymbals), but that's just when the cymbals were released as an extra. So basically they released cymbals that didn't really do anything except make different sounds in freestyle drum fills - that's some tough marketing there! And then RB3 released with Pro modes for everything and all the drum tracks were automatically charted for them.

A shame because I was hoping the Beatles game would have Pro charts, but it's forever stuck with regular ones.

I’ve just picked up a series x and reinstalled this for my first go in ages. What’s the best way of getting all my pre purchased dlc though. I can’t seem to find any way of filtering what I’ve already bought. 

29 minutes ago, GoblinUK said:

I’ve just picked up a series x and reinstalled this for my first go in ages. What’s the best way of getting all my pre purchased dlc though. I can’t seem to find any way of filtering what I’ve already bought. 

You have to go to Manage Game and Add-ons for the game, Manage Installation, then all the DLC will be in there if you filter by uninstalled and add-ons. It's a pain in the hole.

28 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

You have to go to Manage Game and Add-ons for the game, Manage Installation, then all the DLC will be in there if you filter by uninstalled and add-ons. It's a pain in the hole.

How do I filter? I can only seem to see everything. 

It seems to me that getting five stars in drumming is easier than guitar. The patterns are more repetitive (therefore learnable), the 'notes' are more frequent (so you can get your multiplier up quickly) and it's easier to go into overdrive (no dodgy tilt sensor to worry about).

I went back and had a bash at expert guitar for the first time in months and I was laughably bad at it! :lol:  I didn't realise how much of some songs I would just blunder through. Hard solo parts or awkward twiddly bits, I just fudge through them and hope for the best. Drumming is surprisingly accurate and manageable by comparison, and after all these years, I think I prefer it.

Good exercise too, probably.

• 2 weeks later...

Crikey, don't have notifications on for this thread and didn't realise peeps were still posting. I'm stiill playing Clone Hero every day (well, ScoreSpy to be precise).. I'll try and get a video or 2 uploaded as I'm now super sick at Expert Pro Drums haha!

On 29/06/2022 at 11:26, Sprite Machine said:

I misremembered when Pro drums was introduced. I thought Rock Band 2 had pro drumming (as I have RB2 branded cymbals), but that's just when the cymbals were released as an extra. So basically they released cymbals that didn't really do anything except make different sounds in freestyle drum fills - that's some tough marketing there! And then RB3 released with Pro modes for everything and all the drum tracks were automatically charted for them.

A shame because I was hoping the Beatles game would have Pro charts, but it's forever stuck with regular ones.

Play Clone Hero and import all the custom Beatles stuff for a massive catalogue. The ther huge bonus is that everything is charted for Pro-Drums :)

Clone Hero seems cool. Very quick and easy to set up the guitar and install new tracks. Drag and drop, plug and play - nice! That said, I don't like the GH aesthetic nor the charting style. I played one of the built-in demo songs and completely forgot that GH added purple open strums - fuck that! :lol:

Are drums only supported in the beta version? I fiddled with a midi converter to get them recognised in Windows but couldn't see any in-game support. And I can't access the Discord for some reason. :unsure: I might just wait for the next full release. Cool program, though!

On 15/07/2022 at 22:08, Sprite Machine said:

Clone Hero seems cool. Very quick and easy to set up the guitar and install new tracks. Drag and drop, plug and play - nice! That said, I don't like the GH aesthetic nor the charting style. I played one of the built-in demo songs and completely forgot that GH added purple open strums - fuck that! :lol:

Are drums only supported in the beta version? I fiddled with a midi converter to get them recognised in Windows but couldn't see any in-game support. And I can't access the Discord for some reason. :unsure: I might just wait for the next full release. Cool program, though!

You definitely can drum but drum support is only in the public test build (PTB). Did you find the repository of all the GH and and RB tracks ever released on disc and dlc? Check out frets on fire, C3 and Chorus for tons and tons of custom made tracks too.

To make it look nicer you can load highways, backgrounds and basically change any element of the game you don't like, it's awesome :)

Oh and check out Scorespy, it's a version of Clone Hero and it includes drum support as well as global leaderboards for every single track, custom or otherwise.

Yeah, I found the repository, I just couldn't get access to the test build. I think I've got it now.

Can I change the note gems to Rock Band style ones?

EDIT: Yes, I can! Well, that's my evening sorted.

EDIT 2: Oh, the Rock Band mod is not available for the public beta. :(

FAKE EDIT 3: Rock Band 2 drums aren't working very well with this. It detects my hits but duplicates or something, so my multiplier keeps breaking. 98% on a song but only two stars, that ain't right! :lol:

FAKE EDIT 4: Eh, sod this, it's too hot.

Edited by Sprite Machine

16 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Yeah, I found the repository, I just couldn't get access to the test build. I think I've got it now.

Can I change the note gems to Rock Band style ones?

EDIT: Yes, I can! Well, that's my evening sorted.

EDIT 2: Oh, the Rock Band mod is not available for the public beta. :(

FAKE EDIT 3: Rock Band 2 drums aren't working very well with this. It detects my hits but duplicates or something, so my multiplier keeps breaking. 98% on a song but only two stars, that ain't right! :lol:

FAKE EDIT 4: Eh, sod this, it's too hot.

I've only ever used CH with my Alesis Surge kit, not RB drums, so can't offer nay advice there but you could look into Rock Band 2 Deluxe or Guitar Hero 2 Deluxe.. They're basically modded versions of those games that run via PS3 Emulator on PC and allow custom tracks and alsorts of modding in to the actual RB and GH games...

6 hours ago, PDogg said:

I've only ever used CH with my Alesis Surge kit, not RB drums, so can't offer nay advice there but you could look into Rock Band 2 Deluxe or Guitar Hero 2 Deluxe.. They're basically modded versions of those games that run via PS3 Emulator on PC and allow custom tracks and alsorts of modding in to the actual RB and GH games...

Ah, thanks anyway, unfortunately my PC is too old to emulate newer systems. And in this heat, it would probably melt. :lol:

I'll look into it in future when I've got a better PC and I've exhausted the official methods, but I've still got so much to do in Rock Band.

I'm currently going through my entire song collection, arranged by difficulty, and working my way through each song. I'm mostly getting five stars or gold stars up to 'solid' level songs. I've got one 'FC' so far; I could probably get a few more if I went back and tried again but I seem to occasionally clip the bottom of a cymbal and get stuck for a second, don't quite reach far enough and hit air, or sometimes I drop a drumstick on the floor! Generally, the RB2 kit is pretty solid - I haven't had many dropped or duplicate hits as far as I can tell.

The foot pedal is falling apart, though. The little orange plastic bit has fallen out. I'm pretty sure it's just meant to stop the pedal from flying away so it still actually works perfectly, but I might need a replacement soon. Also the rubber on the cable is peeling off in several places.

So many songs are just strings of yellows (hi-hats?) with snare and bass alternately thrown in! I tell you where I struggle, it's when I have to do blue and green toms (especially both together), my arms just haven't got the muscle memory to get down there and back again quickly and my right knee keeps getting in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, some songs have little cymbal rolls (or fills? Is that the right term?) so close together that the stock cymbals literally cannot register them quickly enough! It doesn't happen often, and I assume a professional e-kit would fare better, but that's still annoying when you physically cannot hit all the notes because the official cymbals can't register hits that close together.

I'm having a wonderful time with the game anyway! Pro Drums is honestly the most fun I've ever had playing a music game. When muscle memory starts taking over and you get through complicated patterns thinking "how did I just do that?", it's so incredible.

I don't really understand what Rivals mode, squads, challenges, etc, are all about - I assume it's a group score challenge thing? As I'm playing the game semi-regularly now, could I join a rllmuk squad and help out with anything? I can't promise high scores but I have a lot of songs.

Every time I've seen this thread come up for the last year or so, I've been too ashamed to click into it. Because for a while prior, I was super-active in the Rllmuk Xbox One crew, and then I just took off without warning or goodbyes. 

I won't get into detail but the long and short of it is there were some pressing issues at home. Suddenly, and for quite some time, the mood wasn't really conducive to karaoke-type games. 

Most of that's better now, thankfully. But crucially I also ended up (reluctantly) selling on my Xbox One USB controller adapter that I was using to play with my Les Paul guitar controllers from the 360. So I can't even rejoin RB4 without spending out for another adapter (mega$$$) or an Xbox One guitar (also rare, plus I never liked the RB controller feel). 

Hope you're all doing well anyway. I do feel a bit bad about taking up a place in the roster and then basically just going dark. 

The rllmuk Rivals crew has for quite some time now been a merry little band of just contribute what you want whenever you feel like it. We don't strive for bloodstone each season and that's quite alright. Anybody that wants to join for whatever length of time and play whatever amount of songs they feel like is very welcome. 

12 hours ago, ryanski said:

The rllmuk Rivals crew has for quite some time now been a merry little band of just contribute what you want whenever you feel like it. We don't strive for bloodstone each season and that's quite alright. Anybody that wants to join for whatever length of time and play whatever amount of songs they feel like is very welcome. 

How do I join, please? :)

EDIT: Oh, is it platform specific? I'm on PS4.

Edited by Sprite Machine

I recently played Guitar Hero in a retro museum in Perth, which led me to scouring second hand sites to get back into playing games like this - especially now I have kids old enough to join in. 

I’ve found it hard to understand what is computable with what though, so whilst I have managed to buy a bunch of instruments and games which work on my old PS3, I’d love to play something current and it sounds like Rock Band 4 on Series X (my only current gen console; I don’t have a PC) could be the way to go. 

Is it possible to buy the game digitally? Doesn’t look like it’s available on the Xbox store?

What’s the best route for instruments? I’d like a drum set and a couple of guitars. 

Any help appreciated!

12 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

How do I join, please? :)

EDIT: Oh, is it platform specific? I'm on PS4.

Yes it is I'm afraid. We are on xbox. In Rivals there is an option to look for crews who are recruiting, you could easily just jump into one you lie the look of and see what it's all about. We are currently in between seasons, think the new season starts either this thursday or the one after. 

1 hour ago, Bushtopher said:

What’s the best route for instruments? I’d like a drum set and a couple of guitars.

Sadly - at this stage - selling a kidney.

Instruments are basically impossible to find. They haven't made any since the release of Rock Band 4 in 2015 and any that didn't sell out immediately have been snapped up since by people looking to replace old and busted kit.

You may possibly find a second-hand guitar or two if you're really lucky. Get the Rock Band 4 instruments - there was an adaptor to allow people to use older instruments from the previous generation but that's even rarer than the kit these days. Working, new drum kits (especially with the cymbals attachments) are basically the holy grail now but I wish you luck, there must be some out there somewhere.

Also, bear in mind that instruments are platform-specific, so you'll need Xbox instruments if you're playing on Series X. PS4 instruments are actually slightly easier to find as the player base is much lower on that platform, but they won't be any use to you.

The game itself should be available digitally, and there's tons of DLC. It works with any old USB microphones at least so you could start by playing it as a karaoke game maybe (the harmonies mode is actually really fun) and then look to source instruments as and where you can?

It's worth mentioning that the cymbal attachments are universal (cross-platform), but not cross-manufacturer (RB4 cymbals don't work with RB2/3 kits or vice versa).

Drum pedals are universal as are microphones.

Check eBay, Facebook marketplace, local CeX shops, etc. And good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think Harmonix have judged their difficulty levels really well - Apprentice, Solid, Challenging, etc. A smooth progression of difficulty that helps you pick up new techniques gradually and increases complexity as you progress.

At other times, there's Whip It by Devo on expert drums. :wacko:

6 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Sometimes I think Harmonix have judged their difficulty levels really well - Apprentice, Solid, Challenging, etc. A smooth progression of difficulty that helps you pick up new techniques gradually and increases complexity as you progress.

At other times, there's Whip It by Devo on expert drums. :wacko:

Just had a watch. There's nothing very complicated about it but it's a bit relentless. It looks busy so it's probably slightly harder to read than it actually is to play. 

You can ignore the kick drum entirely, that's just four on the floor so you don't even have to think about it. 

Then it's just about getting your hands into that gallop rhythm between the hi-hat (which at least they've put on yellow) and the snare (red). RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR etc etc. 

They've mapped the crash cymbal to green, which is normal enough, and the whip sample to blue. They seem to land on the beat at least. 

It'll be the lactic acid that gets you. Relax - if you tense up it'll be worse. 

What I'm saying is don't stress - you can do it! 

8 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Just had a watch. There's nothing very complicated about it but it's a bit relentless. It looks busy so it's probably slightly harder to read than it actually is to play. 

You can ignore the kick drum entirely, that's just four on the floor so you don't even have to think about it. 

Then it's just about getting your hands into that gallop rhythm between the hi-hat (which at least they've put on yellow) and the snare (red). RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR etc etc. 

They've mapped the crash cymbal to green, which is normal enough, and the whip sample to blue. They seem to land on the beat at least. 

It'll be the lactic acid that gets you. Relax - if you tense up it'll be worse. 

What I'm saying is don't stress - you can do it! 

I stuggle with a combination of the rhythm (going RLR to RLR, when my hands want to go RLRLRL) and the fact that the snare is slightly to the left of the hi-hat on a Rock Band kit, rather than underneath it as it might be on an e-kit, so the right hand has to go under and it sometimes gets snagged. I'll try it again at some point, thanks. :)

Oh I thought you had the additional cymbals so you’d have a yellow to the left of red, where you need it. Yeah that’s largely unplayable if you just have the four pads in default order. You’d have to change the sticking to be RLR RRL RLR RRL or something (or lead with your left hand but that’s harder).

3 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Oh I thought you had the additional cymbals so you’d have a yellow to the left of red, where you need it. Yeah that’s largely unplayable if you just have the four pads in default order. You’d have to change the sticking to be RLR RRL RLR RRL or something (or lead with your left hand but that’s harder).

I've got the cymbals, playing Pro mode. :)

But the yellow cymbal is positioned slightly to the right of the red drum pad (it's more above the yellow pad), so although I can lead with the right hand, the third strike onto the red is a little too awkwardly to the left.

(Interestingly, I had a look at the non-Pro charting and it's completely different. They've put the hi-hats on red, I think?)

EDIT: See, even swung out to the left, it's still further right than the red pad.

(Not my picture)
 drum_set_with_cymbals_ps4_rock_band_1526885585_7d9c9dce.jpg.528d6e28c7dcd616cafb6c7f6677b4b4.jpg

Edited by Sprite Machine