Titanfall 2

Bleeders

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, MardiganX said:

What is this? Is there a new version of it being released on next gen? Is it simply remembering the greatest FPS of all time? How much? When? 

EA access is now being bundled in with Gamepass Ultimate, so TF2 will be available for free from Tuesday. I don’t know if it’s had any Series X enhancements though. Does anyone know if it has?

14 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

It has Xbox One X improvements, but don't know about Series. Though to be honest, I'm out of the loop on that one to the point I don't know if any BC game has specific enhancements for Series X beyond the general boost that you'd expect from the newer hardware.

Developers are free to upgrade games that just run with the general BC enhancements to Series S | X versions. It's what has happened with the likes of Forza and Gears 5. 

Not sure if there are any 3rd party upgrades at launch but CD Projekt Red have said they will be updating Witcher as an example. 

I imagine where a dev can get in and 'push the sliders up' then it may be worth them doing so in the first 6 months as it will mean people are likely to rebuy or at least replay. 

I’ve only got round to playing this now on my Series X. Holy fucking shit it’s good. 

The game does a brilliant job of making you feel like an absolute badass at times. 

The guns are just so meaty! The *THUUUUUMP* as the bullets hit the target is super satisfying. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up with this finally. Really enjoyed it although ended up regretting doing my playthrough on regular difficulty as it was a cake-walk and I never really had to utilize the mechanics specifics to the game to succeed. That said, it was certainly the most "Half-Lifey" game I've played since Half-Life. The only bits I didn't really enjoy were the boss bits, they always just felt too "sloggish" without any particular strategy or skill required. Maybe that changes on higher difficulty settings? I often feel that way with vehicular bits on Halo too. It's done enough to warrant another playthrough anyhow.

Series X was also lovely. Seamless 4k@60.

Was enjoying the single player on this (normal difficulty), got near the end and was screwed by the checkpoints, no health pick-ups for my titan yet the opposition had full health. Frankly I'd had my fill and I'm so laid back these days it didn't bother me. But yes, it's still one of those campaigns that makes the push-and-shoot CoD formula feel really stale and bland. Some of the encounters were amazing, with the areas full of walls to run over, towers to boost off, the cloaking adding a bit of strategy. Much preferred the on-foot combat to titan combat though. This was on the PC with M&K.

3 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Titanfall 2 is more enjoyable at higher levels. On medium you can stick to the same titan class and weapon loadout if you want, but the game is more fun when switching between strategies during combat.

Titanfall 2 on highest difficulty is on par with Halo on legendary. Spectacular stuff.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

So after completing Halo: Reach, I realised that single player not-CoD FPS campaigns are perfect escapism from lockdown. So I'm playing a four year old game on my new Xbox. 

And it's bloody brilliant all over again.

It was one of the first things I installed to my Series X, I fired up the campaign, it gave me my old save, I beat what was infront of me only to realise it was the final boss fight, I keep contemplating starting it again though, from what I remember, it was really fun.

1 hour ago, friedgold said:

I really need to give the single player a go on this. As it stands it's just about the only online multiplayer game I play. I absolutely love it.

It’s easily the best MP game of last gen and the campaign is one of the great of all time, why are you reading this post? Start the campaign! 

2 hours ago, friedgold said:

I really need to give the single player a go on this. As it stands it's just about the only online multiplayer game I play. I absolutely love it.

This boggles my mind. The campaign is incredible

It feels Nintendo-esque in it's level design, in that each level has a new idea that a lesser developer would base an entire game around, and the relationship between the pilot and BT-7274 is just great. And it feels like a well edited 90 minute movie. The campaign cuts away every ounce of fat. It's pure concentrated fun.

It also looks absolutely banging on the Series X. Feels like it could be released today.

It's heartbreaking they've gone 'games-as-a-service'. It makes me wish they were one of Sony's First Party's. that are given the money and resources to make fantastic single player experiences.

Every time I see this thread getting bumped it lifts me a little. I instantly remember the superb campaign moments that hold together what is easily the best single player FPS experience of all time. Yes, I am including all the best moments from Halo in that. It has to be one of the most underrated campaigns in any game never mind just FPS, plus it has this subtle yet quite emotional relationship with BT :wub: 

If I could have a sequel to any game then Titanfall 3 would need to be a strong contender for that. I never really got on with Apex and I understand why Respawn shifted their FPS ventures to that Fortnite style but what I would give for them to announce 'Titanfall 3 is in the works guys'!

Just now, LaveDisco said:

It feels Nintendo-esque in it's level design, in that each level has a new idea that a lesser developer would base an entire game around, and the relationship between the pilot and BT-7274 is just great. And it feels like a well edited 90 minute movie. The campaign cuts away every ounce of fat. It's pure concentrated fun.

I remember saying pretty much this exact thing in relation to a particular portion of the game when I first played it, which at the time utterly bewildered me that a dev could come up with something so polished, clever and fun yet keep it self contained as part of an almost different type of game. It never gets the praise it deserves and in hindsight I'm sure that there will have been people that suggested they did more with it but its just another reason (probably one of the best) why Titanfall 2's campaign is an absolute must play for everyone.

Trust me!

It's so good and hits the sweet spot for me in terms of fidelity and detail that few other MP FPS games do. There's a lot going on and it looks great but I never feel overwhelmed by the HUD or the sheer amount of geometery on show that a lot of modern shooters throw at the player, if that makes sense.

31 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I remember saying pretty much this exact thing in relation to a particular portion of the game when I first played it, which at the time utterly bewildered me that a dev could come up with something so polished, clever and fun yet keep it self contained as part of an almost different type of game. It never gets the praise it deserves and in hindsight I'm sure that there will have been people that suggested they did more with it but its just another reason (probably one of the best) why Titanfall 2's campaign is an absolute must play for everyone.

Trust me!

Campaign Spoilers for @friedgold 

Spoiler

The time travel level, which is effortless, and somehow magical considering the old hard drive speeds, could be expanded so well now we've got SSDs. Jumping back and forth in time, fighting to fronts at once was just superb.

It's just so, so good.

Picked this up for the PC tonight after having a brief go on the Xbox One when it first came out. It never clicked with me then in the same way that the original did but starting again on PC and its really rather good. Even after 4 and half years there is no problems getting multiplayer games, although the majority of them are Attrition but as that's the mode I play I can't really complain.

I just joined the ''MUK'' network on there too if any one fancies a game over the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to finishing this after dropping it a number of years ago. That single player campaign was fantastic! Good story, greatgameplay and was just a blast from start to finish. 

Does anyone else have any recommendations for good, story driven FPS games that will give Titanfall 2 a run for its money?