31 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I remember saying pretty much this exact thing in relation to a particular portion of the game when I first played it, which at the time utterly bewildered me that a dev could come up with something so polished, clever and fun yet keep it self contained as part of an almost different type of game. It never gets the praise it deserves and in hindsight I'm sure that there will have been people that suggested they did more with it but its just another reason (probably one of the best) why Titanfall 2's campaign is an absolute must play for everyone.

Trust me!

Campaign Spoilers for @friedgold 

Spoiler

The time travel level, which is effortless, and somehow magical considering the old hard drive speeds, could be expanded so well now we've got SSDs. Jumping back and forth in time, fighting to fronts at once was just superb.

It's just so, so good.

Picked this up for the PC tonight after having a brief go on the Xbox One when it first came out. It never clicked with me then in the same way that the original did but starting again on PC and its really rather good. Even after 4 and half years there is no problems getting multiplayer games, although the majority of them are Attrition but as that's the mode I play I can't really complain.

I just joined the ''MUK'' network on there too if any one fancies a game over the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to finishing this after dropping it a number of years ago. That single player campaign was fantastic! Good story, greatgameplay and was just a blast from start to finish. 

Does anyone else have any recommendations for good, story driven FPS games that will give Titanfall 2 a run for its money? 

9 minutes ago, RabMyself said:

So I finally got around to finishing this after dropping it a number of years ago. That single player campaign was fantastic! Good story, greatgameplay and was just a blast from start to finish. 

Does anyone else have any recommendations for good, story driven FPS games that will give Titanfall 2 a run for its money? 

Dishonored 2 and Prey.

3 hours ago, RabMyself said:

Doom 2016. 

8 minutes ago, smac said:

The story that drives that is, to be fair, rather less complex.

True, I missed story driven, but it’s up there in the top 5 with TF2 for FPS campaigns for me.

The story was expanded out in DOOM 2020 but I don’t think the gameplay was as good. 

7 hours ago, RabMyself said:

I quite enjoyed Infinite Warfare. The usual CoD military hoorah shite is easier to stomach when it's in a sci-fi setting, and the story is gloriously melodramatic and has some fun set pieces. It also features some emotional scenes with a robot pal, although they're not a patch on TF2's.

On 20/02/2021 at 17:15, RabMyself said:

Replaying TF2 is only option really!

There is a rewards quest for this at the moment, fired it up for a quick game last night and my word it’s just so bloody good as a MP game - works so well on series x and is just the best FPS :wub:

Game of the generation for me. 

I think something that doesn't get talked about enough is how technically brilliant it is. The Medium struggles to hit 30fps on really quite beefy hardware due to running two scenes in tandem. The time travel level in this runs at a butter smooth 60fps and looks great, even on an old Xbox One. I've no idea how they pulled it off. 

13 hours ago, Timmo said:

Game of the generation for me. 

I think something that doesn't get talked about enough is how technically brilliant it is. The Medium struggles to hit 30fps on really quite beefy hardware due to running two scenes in tandem. The time travel level in this runs at a butter smooth 60fps and looks great, even on an old Xbox One. I've no idea how they pulled it off. 

It’s not running two scenes in tandem, for starters. It’s swapping between them and - as much as I love it - there’s not a huge difference from one to the other.

Started playing this last night randomly, then saw the thread had been bumped.

Having not played through it since around it's release, I have hardly any memories of the story, I fired it up from my last save a few months ago, done that section and turns out it was the last save before the end of the game, so yesterday it was a start from the beginning kind of day.

Have just wedged it on easy, I can run around, feel like I am invincible and just enjoy it without worrying about getting smashed up too badly, yeah, I know, I'm not playing it properly, but I'm also not getting frustrated at endless kill screens and it's a lot of fun, am very likely to finish it in a week and leave it for many more yeats, but being part of gamepass is great, hopefully more people will pick it up, and maybe, one day, we'll get the sequel it sorely deserves.

On 24/02/2021 at 23:42, Strafe said:

It’s not running two scenes in tandem, for starters. It’s swapping between them and - as much as I love it - there’s not a huge difference from one to the other.

It is, isn't it? I thought I read that the way it works is there are two copies of the level, one positioned just above the other in the map, and every time you use the thing it teleports the player and the corpses either up or down.

22 minutes ago, PK said:

It is, isn't it? I thought I read that the way it works is there are two copies of the level, one positioned just above the other in the map, and every time you use the gauntlet it teleports the player and the corpses either up or down depending on which direction in time you're going.

If that’s the case, it’s still not running two scenes in tandem like The Medium is. That’s literally two scenes running split screen, drawing each of them simultaneously.

If the teleport thing is the case then it’s just one scene made to look like two by moving the player around the map. It isn’t having to draw two scenes at the same time. The equivalent of going through your normal teleport gate in an FPS.

Also, I think it says a lot about how amazing that sequence is that I still get the urge to spoiler any reference to it, just in case even one person is considering playing it and hasn't experienced the 

Spoiler

Press E to Time Travel

bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally played through this. Bought it ages ago for a few quid (almost certainly after a heads-up on here), but then got caught up in PSVR stuff and found it hard to escape.

It's really very good. I used to be a game designer, so have spent hours swearing at my TV about piss-poor game design (especially in genres like FPS where I enjoy them but am not actually that good). But this is about as good as I remember playing. It's short and sweet, it's varied what with you having the pilot and the titan, and managing to mix that up a fair bit too, the story is slender but effective (and actually surprised me with a welcome twist*), and despite me being rubbish the only tricky bits were boss fights, and even then they had a few checkpoints through them, so I could bludgeon my way through even the bits I found hardest. Absolute belter. Thanks to those who were bigging it up back then when I bought it. It took a while, but I got there in the end.

*Twist

Spoiler

Blisk not wanting to fight. It's so rare in videogames for something to be set up and then taken away. And here I think it's a nice bit of story telling, but also a great piece of game design. I didn't want to fight him to be honest - I think I'd done enough at that point. It's possible he was just being set up for a sequel, but given the level of craftmanship elsewhere I suspect it was just very well judged. You know you can beat him, he "knows" you can beat him because you've become amazing, let's just skip that and move on...)

6 hours ago, MarkN said:

I finally played through this. Bought it ages ago for a few quid (almost certainly after a heads-up on here), but then got caught up in PSVR stuff and found it hard to escape.

It's really very good. I used to be a game designer, so have spent hours swearing at my TV about piss-poor game design (especially in genres like FPS where I enjoy them but am not actually that good). But this is about as good as I remember playing. It's short and sweet, it's varied what with you having the pilot and the titan, and managing to mix that up a fair bit too, the story is slender but effective (and actually surprised me with a welcome twist*), and despite me being rubbish the only tricky bits were boss fights, and even then they had a few checkpoints through them, so I could bludgeon my way through even the bits I found hardest. Absolute belter. Thanks to those who were bigging it up back then when I bought it. It took a while, but I got there in the end.

*Twist

Hide contents

Blisk not wanting to fight. It's so rare in videogames for something to be set up and then taken away. And here I think it's a nice bit of story telling, but also a great piece of game design. I didn't want to fight him to be honest - I think I'd done enough at that point. It's possible he was just being set up for a sequel, but given the level of craftmanship elsewhere I suspect it was just very well judged. You know you can beat him, he "knows" you can beat him because you've become amazing, let's just skip that and move on...)

One great thing about the bosses is how most of them can be beaten in seconds if you play really aggressively and catch them well with your salvo core. None of this multiple phase, I'm invincible for a bit while you take out some rank and file, drawn out shit.

I played the first couple of levels of this. In the first level I had to find a battery for my robot and once I'd done that I had to find two more batteries for my robot. In the second level I was in a factory and had to avoid falling in the toxic sludge. I'm not really a fan of FPS games in general but if this is the best the genre has to offer then they haven't really come very far since the 90s, have they? I will concede that the speed and responsiveness of the main character was really fun (until it put me in the big robot and I had to plod around slowly for five minutes) and the punch is satisfyingly brutal but there's nothing here that makes me want to see the rest of the game.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I played the first couple of levels of this. In the first level I had to find a battery for my robot and once I'd done that I had to find two more batteries for my robot. In the second level I was in a factory and had to avoid falling in the toxic sludge. I'm not really a fan of FPS games in general but if this is the best the genre has to offer then they haven't really come very far since the 90s, have they? I will concede that the speed and responsiveness of the main character was really fun (until it put me in the big robot and I had to plod around slowly for five minutes) and the punch is satisfyingly brutal but there's nothing here that makes me want to see the rest of the game.

Most games are going to have fetch quests to try to justify what you have to do - on a very basic functional level they're just tools to get you to engage with the game. Run, jump, shoot - that's what you're here for, and it's done really well.  Here the battery fetch quests are there to get you up to speed, but they're also getting you to fix up your new best friend, and that's a key part of the story. I'm not usually a fan of story in games, and as I said above what's here is fairly minimal, but I think it's really well handled. He's your buddy - he saved you, you fixed him up, you'll have each other's backs from now on.

I would definitely stick with it. I don't remember feeling too frustrated with the mech being slow. I actually always loved being reunited with him after each time we got separated, because the mech combat bits are some of the best bits. You can really kick arse in that thing once you have a few different weapon load-outs to switch between. 

The first two levels are probably the weakest. On subsequent playthroughs they are way more fun as you can just sprint through them and wreck everything.  They're still great, it perhaps just doesn't show it first time around. 

How much of an online community does this still have on PSN? Every time this thread bumps my heart skips a beat and I remember just how incredible both the campaign and the MP is. Feels like something I need to download again, provided there is a network out there still saddling up.

Garwoofoo is genetically programmed to have contrarian opinions on videogames. There'll be no convincing him. 

Obviously, I'm sure everyone knows, but Apex is essentially Titanfall 3 (and the most recent map introduced in Season 7 is basically made from Titanfall 3 assets). The traversal isn't as good and it's a BR game (so you take all the frustration that brings) and there's clearly no story/robots, but if you hanker after the feel of TF2 and want more of it it's about as close as you can get. 

15 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

How much of an online community does this still have on PSN? Every time this thread bumps my heart skips a beat and I remember just how incredible both the campaign and the MP is. Feels like something I need to download again, provided there is a network out there still saddling up.

I still play it moat nights on the Xbox, so I'm sure it still must be easy to get a game on PSN.