IGNORED

Playtonic's Yooka-Laylee

Vemsie

I'm just wondering exactly how it's going to work.  The FAQ on the Kickstarter page says that the codes will delivered through Backerkit, which is the service i completed a survey on to confirm my platform choice, but upon going to the site it just confirms that my survery is complete, so i guess I just wait for them to contact me through my email.

4 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I'm just wondering exactly how it's going to work.  The FAQ on the Kickstarter page says that the codes will delivered through Backerkit, which is the service i completed a survey on to confirm my platform choice, but upon going to the site it just confirms that my survery is complete, so i guess I just wait for them to contact me through my email.

That's how I got my Xbox One code.

2 hours ago, Jarik said:

Code Get!

And since i'm working from home today, I can try it out straight away! :)

Did you get a Euro code or US code?

I'm pretty sure I requested a Euro code but on the Backerkit is says have a US code.

On 4/7/2017 at 04:05, JPickford said:

I don't really have a problem with Jim Sterling.   He makes good points on the whole and explains his criticisms.   The only real issue is the numbers.

In many ways I get it.  There are a load of games which don't entertain me.   You could but me a free copy of COD 12 (or whatever) and I'd get maybe a few minutes entertainment before I realised it wasn't for me.   How should I rate that 1/10  or 2/10?   That might be an accurate representation of how much fun I got out of it.   BUT it would be weird not to at least respect the craft that went into it.  And that (to me) says 7/10 is a minimum for a well made game.   So the gap between 7 and 10 is where the actual fun lies.

Maybe that is bollocks.   

I think you've just inadvertently articulated why scoring games out of ten is a complete waste of time for everyone involved. 

I've been playing this all evening, still in the first world which I've expanded and I can see where some criticisms have come from, the camera isn't too bad overall but it can feel like you're fighting against it especially when you're trying to reach collectables in a tricky location and usually against the clock. The jibbering chat grated at first but now it's just sunk to the background, you quickly get used to it.

It's odd because the first hour with it I didn't like it at all but the more I played it the more I like it. It's made me smile a few times and I can't wait to play it again, it's so nice to have such a bright and wonderfully jolly game like this to play. It really is the best looking N64 game out there.

I loved Banjo back in the day, couldn't see myself playing that type of game now tbh but come on that looks fuck all like greenlight trash. Looks like a a pretty decent update visually to those sort of games on the 64. Like I say it's not for me and it probably has myriad problems but its looks would be the least of them.

Bear in mind that video is being played by people who 'didn't like Banjo that much' and 'think nuts & bolts was the best' and 'why wasn't it more like mario 64?' and don't even know how to control the game properly after a few hours of play, and evidently skip all the dialogue and can't be arsed to play properly in general and so on and so on.

Still a fun view, it's Giant Bomb, just bear in mind they don't even understand the charm.

4 minutes ago, NEG said:

Bear in mind that video is being played by people who 'didn't like Banjo that much' and 'think nuts & bolts was the best' and 'why wasn't it more like mario 64?' and don't even know how to control the game properly after a few hours of play, and evidently skip all the dialogue and can't be arsed to play properly in general and so on and so on.

Still a fun view, it's Giant Bomb, just bear in mind they don't even understand the charm.

lol they literally state in the first few mins of the vid that they really like the look of the game. 

6 hours ago, NEG said:

Bear in mind that video is being played by people who 'didn't like Banjo that much' and 'think nuts & bolts was the best' .

Nuts & Bolts really is the best :wub: Finally we agree on something! Fantastic game and still as playable as it ever was. Unlike the older Banjo games, which were already mediocre at best back in the day.

7 hours ago, NEG said:

I didn't say they didn't, Mr 'Thinks It Looks Like Mobile'.

You're making it seem as if they hate every single aspect of it but they clearly don't. 

Also Nuts & Bolts has aged way better than the original Banjo games. 

21 hours ago, Stanley said:

Or perhaps you should consider all elements of the game including level design, playability and so on. I don't like the speech thing in Yooka either but if I was reviewing the game I'd respect the fact that it's aimed at people who liked those platformers back in the day. 

To use your example it's like me slagging off a a perfectly competent novel with a serviceable story just because I don't like swearing, or whatever. It's unbalanced. 

You should always review the game for yourself, not some imagined person who may like the things you dislike. I think it's disingenuous to say that "it wasn't for me but other's may like it" because then you're reviewing the game based on a fictionalised person's opinions, not your own - the only thing you do know is that you, the person writing the review, disliked something. If that doesn't sound like a negative to someone else then great, but let them come to that conclusion by themselves. 

43 minutes ago, Radish said:

You should always review the game for yourself, not some imagined person who may like the things you dislike. I think it's disingenuous to say that "it wasn't for me but other's may like it" because then you're reviewing the game based on a fictionalised person's opinions, not your own - the only thing you do know is that you, the person writing the review, disliked something. If that doesn't sound like a negative to someone else then great, but let them come to that conclusion by themselves. 

Yeah to be fair I haven't played Yooka Laylee so perhaps it's as bad as he says, I doubt it though. I think I'm swaying towards not applying a score - because 2/10 is crazy. The other reviews I've read, and footage I've seen, whilst not completely at odds with his criticisms, don't point to a fundamentally broken game, which the 2/10 indicates. 

18 hours ago, Goemon said:

Did you get a Euro code or US code?

I'm pretty sure I requested a Euro code but on the Backerkit is says have a US code.

It's been so long since I filled out the survey, but I guess I said Euro because the code was accepted through the Euro PSN.

It was 5.9GB though, which is just over the limit I can justify with my Data Cap, so I had to download it using my free overnight.  I had just enough time this morning to verify the download worked & i'm looking forward to getting stuck into it this evening.

1 minute ago, Jarik said:

It's been so long since I filled out the survey, but I guess I said Euro because the code was accepted through the Euro PSN.

It was 5.9GB though, which is just over the limit I can justify with my Data Cap, so I had to download it using my free overnight.  I had just enough time this morning to verify the download worked & i'm looking forward to getting stuck into it this evening.

Pretty sure I picked Euro too but they've sent me a US code, which doesn't work. 

I emailed them and their "fix" was to create a US account and DL it that way.

Gee, thanks.