Playtonic's Yooka-Laylee

Vemsie

Yeah fair enough. I'm trying to remember the one who *really* failed. Popcorn? Something like that.

Rare (IMO) was a few individuals, The Stampers, The Hochbergs, Mark Betteridge etc. Being ex-Rare doesn't automatically mean that much.

To prove the point I'm ex-Rare.

Starting to wonder if there's a 90s genre that is yet to be rebooted? Perhaps the developers of Mortal Kombat X are slightly regretting that 2D fighting games didn't go out of fashion entirely so that they could be rebooted.

Though really I'm just annoyed Kickstarter's biggest hits are nostalgia cash-ins. Maybe all generations feels like this as their childhood things are marketed for dollars, it bothers me especially. However, it works. Fuck me, their trailer almost took me back to that time I got a brand new N64 and thought the graphics were good. I find it weird psychologically that a game, judging by their trailer, which looks like McDonalds sponsors Gex 3D if it had been released 15 years ago, now looks desirable.

I suppose it's just the way it goes. Though I don't think anyone guessed 3D platformers had this much latent desire behind them. The most common, over-baked game genre will be rebooted in 10 years from now. It's weird. Whatever game type we're most bored of now we'll be clamouring for in the future.

If shooters go out of fashion out of sheer happiness I'll dance naked in town in the snow holding nothing but my Banjo.

Graphics look fine I'd say, they're using Unity if that means much, just needs some polish. My only complaint is the googly eyes not being big enough, and not seeing any carrots with eyes yet or something similar. There's a heart with eyes on the page though.

Yeah fair enough. I'm trying to remember the one who *really* failed. Popcorn? Something like that.

Rare (IMO) was a few individuals, The Stampers, The Hochbergs, Mark Betteridge etc. Being ex-Rare doesn't automatically mean that much.

To prove the point I'm ex-Rare.

I'm being brutally honest here, but you seem phenomenally bitter about this.

Starting to wonder if there's a 90s genre that is yet to be rebooted? Perhaps the developers of Mortal Kombat X are slightly regretting that 2D fighting games didn't go out of fashion entirely so that they could be rebooted.

I suppose it's just the way it goes. Though I don't think anyone guessed 3D platformers had this much latent desire behind them. The most common, over-baked game genre will be rebooted in 10 years from now. It's weird. Whatever game type we're most bored of now we'll be clamouring for in the future.

What are the original makers of Tomb Raider doing? waiting patiently here for the return of the PoP influenced 3D puzzle platformer.

Multiple language voices, character designs from some more ex-Rare devs and 4 more local muliplayer games funded overnight!

Just 20k to go until we get day one release across all platforms!

Just pledged 15 quid for the console version. I'm not really all that fussed if it's not reinventing the wheel and its playing off nostalgia. We're not exactly drowning in 3D platformers of any kind, and you can just tell that it looks like it controls nicely from the videos. Plus a new Wise and Kirkhope soundtrack is practically reason enough for the game to exist in itself.

I'm "in" for another proper Banjo game but the graphics look kind of horrible here. Really sterile and plasticky, like much of Rare's post-N64 output. I think low polygon counts were actually a blessing in disguise for their art department.

ive thought this for years, the n64 was the perfect machine for them. they never had much flair art or even tech wise, it was more like hard work and detail, low poly, basic designs, corny games but our imagination filled in the gaps. as soon as they got machines with actual fidelity (xbox, xbox 360), their games immediately stopped standing out. we found out joanna dark sounded like a dick, the levels were basic, the plot was a joke, the game design had hit its limits. kameo was quite fun (i finished it, i still own it) but the writing was on the wall.

im not knocking this by the way, i love banjo

I like that they've leaned from other gaming Kickstarters and not offered too many physical rewards. All of those t-shirts and posters offered by other Kickstarted games can really burn though the money.

Viva Piñata was beautiful graphically. Such an underrated game.

banjo in nuts and bolts looks all wrong, hes not the banjo from the originals. rares house art style was really suited to standard def consoles

ive thought this for years, the n64 was the perfect machine for them. they never had much flair art or even tech wise, it was more like hard work and detail, low poly, basic designs, corny games but our imagination filled in the gaps. as soon as they got machines with actual fidelity (xbox, xbox 360), their games immediately stopped standing out. we found out joanna dark sounded like a dick, the levels were basic, the plot was a joke, the game design had hit its limits. kameo was quite fun (i finished it, i still own it) but the writing was on the wall.

im not knocking this by the way, i love banjo

PD0 had a fair bit of Microsoft influence causing development hell, remember it was essentially a tarted up Xbox game, and to be fair even if it wasn't, it was a launch title. The gameplay was sound (lots of fun guns) but yeah, I'm blaming Microsoft in regards to story and any rubbish details. It took too long to eat from the success that was the original PD and GE, imo. Shooters had (somewhat) moved on.

Kameo definitely faired a lot better, both fun and looks good. Viva Pinata was pure amazement, Nuts & Bolts 'okay', just not what the majority of fans wanted. ;) Didn't play Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Star Fox Adventures was fairly detailed from what I remember. Diddy Kong Racing 2's idea of using animals to race on sounded brilliant. It's Mr Pants! is it's own hilarity.

I'd say we're doing the old art team a disservice by saying they couldn't/still can't do much in regards to details. CBFD reloaded looked pretty good too.

N&B Banjo did look wrong, though. That nose :(

The fact that this has raised so much money so quickly must be a real slap in the face to whoever it is/was at Rare that decided not to pursue making another BK platformer.

Wasn't it more of a case of pre-Spencer MS wanting them to do avatars and Kinect and shit? Cause rumour has it they ARE currently working on a new Banjo, set for reveal at E3 this year. Will be interesting if true.

Yeah, looks pretty awful, right? The camera looks terrible, for platforming at least. It's like, I was kind of hoping this would be a modern Rare platformer, like how Galaxy is a modern version if Mario 64.. This just looks a bit like a hi res asset swap of a game from 1995...

If the gameplay video in any way represented something close to the finished product, I would not be returning to this thread. But it's early days... right? :unsure:

Even so, are they really going to go all in on the Banjo-Kazooie minus the licence vibe?