IGNORED

RIP Nintendo

deKay

"Plucking figures out of the air"! Here's the Wii U demographic figures from Nintendo:

0-12 1%

13-17 5%

18-24 33%

25-34 46%

35+ 14%

Male 93%

Female 7%

It's the same problem Sonic has - kid focused thing now selling nostalgia to old fans.

Sonic's problem is not the same as Nintendo's problem.

But you can do that on a PS4 with a Vita and can soon do that with Xbox One games to a W10 PC or tablet.

You can do it on Steam to any other tablet, TV or device, with any game. It's not a hardware feature, it's a software one.

Nintendo managed to choose the most inflexible implementation that raises the cost of the console and then not provide any dev tools for supporting it to thirdparties, the worst of all worlds.

But you can do that on a PS4 with a Vita and can soon do that with Xbox One games to a W10 PC or tablet.

And there are millions of ways to do it on PC too, whether you're using Nvidia Shield or hacking together a tablet solution with Steam. Didn't someone even hack the Wii U pad to Stream games from PC?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-Gamepad-Hacked-Stream-PC-Games-61298.html

Edit: What RJ said

But are those figures gained from the shit surveys you have to fill in for star points cards? If so, I'd take them with a whole continent of salt, as we all know nobody fills them in correctly.

So you're saying that a significant number colluded to distort the figures? Uh, ok.

But that's a silly argument. The WiiU does it out of the box.

Think of anything at all. Anything. Anything can do anything with the addition of an expensive peripheral (a vita or a tablet). For example my fridge could easily shoot up into the sky if I got some fucking rockets strapped to it.

Sure, much like the vita ps4 it wouldn't be as good as a dedicated device but for the purposes of arguing on the internet it'll do.

You can do it on Steam to any other tablet, TV or device, with any game. It's not a hardware feature, it's a software one.

Nintendo managed to choose the most inflexible implementation that raises the cost of the console and then not provide any dev tools for supporting it to thirdparties.

I don't even own a Wii U but I broadly agree. Even bwfore the official announcement everyone was like - WTF. And then the bewilderment of everyone when they did announcement. Overpriced and no real USP. No doubt Nintendoland is fab but it didn't sell like Wii Sports. So jo USP, no killer app and overpriced.

Since then the software has come but the machine is still overpriced etc.

I don't even own a Wii U but I broadly agree. Even bwfore the official announcement everyone was like - WTF. And then the bewilderment of everyone when they did announcement. Overpriced and no real USP. No doubt Nintendoland is fab but it didn't sell like Wii Sports. So jo USP, no killer app and overpriced.

Since then the software has come but the machine is still overpriced etc.

The software hasn't come. Not the software people want to play.

So you're saying that a significant number colluded to distort the figures? Uh, ok.

I wouldn't say they did it to scew the numbers, just that when you fill in those surveys, most people I know just click the first answer to questions, only put in one user etc, they are a ball ache to fill in, but useful for the free tatt from club nintendo, many times I have seen people on this forum mention that Nintendo should pay no attention at all to the results gained from those card surveys.

I wouldn't say they did it to scew the numbers, just that when you fill in those surveys, most people I know just click the first answer to questions, only put in one user etc, they are a ball ache to fill in, but useful for the free tatt from club nintendo, many times I have seen people on this forum mention that Nintendo should pay no attention at all to the results gained from those card surveys.

I fully agree on filling them in fast with no attention (for every bit you have to fill in with actual text, I always answer MARIO no matter what the product/game). But for what it's worth — those age numbers look like people paused for a second and selected the correct age; the first option would be <12 no?

I fully agree on filling them in fast with no attention (for every bit you have to fill in with actual text, I always answer MARIO no matter what the product/game). But for what it's worth — those age numbers look like people paused for a second and selected the correct age; the first option would be <12 no?

But I wonder how many children were actually filling in the surveys? Surely Mum or Dad would do all the complicated filling in bits, with the child perhaps only scratching off the card and, when they had enough points, picking their "prize"?

Although they could of course have gained the figures from somewhere entirely different of course :)

But I wonder how many children were actually filling in the surveys? Surely Mum or Dad would do all the complicated filling in bits, with the child perhaps only scratching off the card and, when they had enough points, picking their "prize"?

Although they could of course have gained the figures from somewhere entirely different of course :)

True. And to be fair — I've filled in (onto my account!) all my kids games.

Still, it's not hard to see that their market is pretty much 30+ nostalgia. Two of my kids heavily raised on Nintendo now hardly touch their handhelds. I'm a bad parent!

Isn't that enough of an advantage? :lol:

I mean, not having to shell out a few hundred quid for a Nintendo player, not needing extra controllers / peripherals, less space needed under the telly, less wires, saving inputs ... Seems like a huge advantage without even looking further.

But let's reverse the question, what advantages are there for us as consumers if Nintendo keep producing proprietary hardware? I literally can't think of anything besides brand loyalty.

They get Nintendo games released on a device that isn't subject to the whims of whatever worthless shit Sony and Microsoft are trying to sell this week.

Angry at himself for being wrong, Broker lashes out at others

I honestly can't believe that anyone thinks this is worth discussing. Nintendo will never develop for iOS. It's like saying "Apple would make loads selling OSX for PC's!!!!!". Maybe they would by expanding their market, maybe they'd lose out by removing the reason to buy the hardware they make most of their cash on. However, the whole discussion is pointless because that company would never, ever do that. The only people who know little enough about Nintendo to suggest this are fucking stock Market analysts, because their mindset only understands repetition of proven success.

I've been playing Super Smash Bros with a GameCube controller recently, and it's hard to go back to the standard Wii U pad as it feels so cheap and nasty and imprecise compared to the GC pad. The only game I've played on the Wii U that really used the Wii U controller's features was Nintendo Land, and honestly I haven't played that since a week after the Wii U launched.

I think that the Wii U would've been less of a flop without the Game Pad, it could've potentially been far more competitive price or hardware wise, and you wouldn't have most of the potential customers thinking that the Wii U was "a tablet for the Wii".

Angry at himself for being wrong, Broker lashes out at others

I wasn't lashing out at anyone, I'm not angry at anyone except Nintendo. I'm disappointed they're doing something so stupid, but it's their business, and they're a long way from the company I used to love so much, even since three years ago.

RJ is like that annoying girlfriend who brings up the same points over and over, quoting things you said four years ago.

And when you do finally do something right it's like, well you should have done that back in 2006. Pah.

pYbaS5d.gif

Sad to see they've made that decision.

It might turn their financial situation around, but like most Nintendo fans I fear this might be the beginning of the end for them.

I for one am really going to miss their handhelds. Thank god I've got about 4 GBC, 5 GBA, 5 NDS, 4 3DS and a shitload of unplayed/unfinished games for all those. My body is ready...