The Jinx

Comrade

The Jinx is an HBO documentary series that recently finished. It's also one of the most incredible pieces of television I've ever seen.

It's about the New York millionaire Robert Durst and his possible involvement in three murders. I don't want to go any further than that because the less you know, the better. If, like me, you found out about it on the news you might have already heard some of the more explosive details, but it's still definitely worth seeing. So, my advice:

1) Ignore any news about Robert Durst, and certainly do not google him.

2) Aquire and watch the six episodes of The Jinx ASA fucking P.

3) Make sure to watch the whole thing. It's only six eps. You might come away from the first three or so thinking it's just a competent documentary. Stick with it, it's much more than that.

I've now watched 2 episodes and I still don't understand the buzz around it, will continue to try and watch it as I still have no clue about the story or it's outcome. Just seems like an extended version of a crime documentary about some rich guy who killed a couple of people. The most interesting part for me, so far, is when he ran from a trial and went on the run only to be found by going into a grocery store and stealing a sandwich. So at least it has a daft criminal which can be amusing but then you get whole shows devoted to the world's dumbest criminals. Can't believe he also made a 'to do' list and left it in the trash! So yeah, can be funny at times but 2 episodes in, no idea how or why they are stretching it out for another 4 episodes.

I can't stop thinking about this.

I love that they didn't end the show with any explanation as to what happened next. I looked it up, seems he was arrested but is already out? I did read somewhere that this whole thing was a hoax and that he got himself arrested to coincide with the finale but that's a mental theory right? So strange that we live in a world where you can't put someone away from society unless you get 100% proof. I think it kind of makes sense, but still. Raises a lot of interesting questions.

I wish I could un-see the articles I read before watching it, but even then it's superbly done and fascinating. with regards to the ending...

In the third or fourth episode (I forget) we are shown him talking with the mic on and being told by his lawyer not to. So Durst knows he is being recorded surely at the end? He seems a bright man, maybe he forgot but then maybe he just wanted to confess?

He's broken so many laws they'll get him for something. Texas though. what a fucking joke. If I lived in Texas I would never go round anyones else because apparently they can murder you, chop you up and it's fine!

Incredible!

Thanks for the recommendation. Turns out my wife knew all about it, but it had totally passed me by. Unforgettable.

Even 10 minutes from the end, I thought there's no way these guys will get him bang to rights in the interview.

Favourite bits:

"And the burping."

Also, earlier on when they're discussing him being elusive before the last interview, maybe in Madrid, one the director says something about what a truthful guy he is to them are someone interjects.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me!"

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that enjoyed this I recommend watching The Staircase. It also has a rather kooky murder suspect whom allows full access to a documentary film crew to follow the case and equally as riveting.

• 2 months later...

I just watched this over the last couple of nights and agree that it's absolutely recommended viewing. Totally fascinating.

The way it all seems to be some kind of psychological game to him is pretty chilling, but his behaviour surely has to be linked back to his childhood and the subsequent choosing of his younger brother to run the company. It's like he's trying to prove that he's the more intelligent one, but his moral compass is severely fucked. And speaking of his family, it seemed pretty clear that they were implicit in the cover up of his first wife. Very odd behaviour by all of them if they weren't.

One question I do have though, and this one really stood out amongst all the inept police work surrounding him, but why wasn't the handwriting on the cadaver letter ever analysed against his? Surely having evidence like that which links you directly to the killer would mean it'd be thoroughly investigated.

It just seemed a bit odd that nobody ever thought of that, yet Jarecki's investigation inadvertently uncovered it.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this over the weekend. Incredible stuff, and really, really creepy in places.

That footage of him walking up the steps to his brother's house was really disturbing for some reason. And the end... He reminded me of fucking Smeagol/Gollum when he was talking about himself in the third person in the toilet.

I'm thinking his brother knew, but just wanted him away from them all. I kind of felt a bit sorry for the brother as if he did know, it would be hard to know where to put your loyalties. Sure, your brother may be a cold blooded psycho, but he's still your brother. And then there's the story of his mother's suicide... Come and look at her on the roof. Bizarre, and reminded me of Fincher's The Game.

Really good stuff.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...