Gran Turismo 4

Landshead

As a huge Gran Turismo fan, although i was slightly disappointed with GT2 because it didn't really improve on the first game.

Im sure that again im going to be disappointed with the PS2 sequel. I played the game at the Playstation experience and it did seem quicker and driving round New York is a sight to behold.

If the game increases the speed, adds a small improvement in graphics and better music then i'll be happy this time as that is all i expect.

Another thing is this new logitech steering wheel, does anyone know how much it actually costs?

I've never played GT3 before, and I intend on going all-out this time, getting GT4 plus Logitech steering wheel when it comes out. PGR2 is awesome, but the GT series has always been about the breadth of cars on offer - provided it has the the Toyota Trueno, I'll be satisfied.

To me it seems like an unnecessary sequel (as did GT 3 on the PS2). Polyphony are obviously quite a talented bunch. What a shame they are being wasted on milking a franchise like this.

Erm... Why are they being wasted? Have you ever thought they might have wanted to make GT4?

GT2 gave us better graphics, Rallying, and Muscle Cars - how was it unnecessary?

I'm toying with buying a Racing White PS2 with GT4 Prologue from Play-Asia. If I don't buy a silver one in the US next month (along with the silver cube I'm definitely buying), I'll get the white 'un.

I don't understand myself. In real life, I see cars as mere transportation. A to B stuff. Granted, like almost every male if I had the disposable income I'd own a top of the range, flash piece of roadware rather than a Vauxhall Vectra, but I'm not one to spend lavish amounts of savings on making sure it has the latest in alloy wheels, improved performance and better road handling. I just want the travel.

Yet I've bought every GT game bar GT Concept, simply because I enjoy driving games and GT offers a lot of choice. And inevitably I get bored because in the end it boils down to upgrades and buying flash machines...

And I'll probably still buy GT4 because it offers more...

Anyhow, bewilderness over, I do hope GT4 offers much more in the way of AI. A lot of people might think that's not what the game's about, and how it's more about the driving, but I don't feel good AI would ever harm that. Good AI adds excitement.

Erm... Why are they being wasted? Have you ever thought they might have wanted to make GT4?

Because they should be using their imaginations to create new types of games, rather than flog dead horses. For me, GT3 wasn't a progression from GT1. It was unnecessary.

I didn't like Gran Turismo 4 to begin with and although there is bound to still be loads of dull hatchbacks and nerdy (hehe) bits, it really is a marked improvment over the last installment. It looks different to but comparable to PGR2 and that in itself is quite an achievement.

Polyphany make superb driving simulations which massive numbers of people enjoy.

Let 'em, eh?

Rumour had it they were looking into making a definitive bike racing game - a GT of the bike world - but I don't know how much of that is based in fact.

Yeah i heard that too a while ago. It would make for a intresting game.

I remember one of the lead programmers talking about how much he loved motorbikes and would love to make a game about them.

No, but talented studios like Polyphony are wasted on being Sony's whores.

GT is widely acknowledged as a labour of love for the Polyphony team. It's not a case of needing to do sequels - it's a case of wanting to do them. If anything, that's the kind of behaviour that should be encouraged of a developer, not criticised.

And they're only Sony's whores because Sony own the company.

I think... :rolleyes:

GT is widely acknowledged as a labour of love for the Polyphony team. It's not a case of needing to do sequels - it's a case of wanting to do them. If anything, that's the kind of behaviour that should be encouraged of a developer, not criticised.

Bullshit. Its about money. I don't care how delicately the driving experience is simulated in this new game. The genre has been done to death. Move on. Cash-full teams like Polyphony should be showing the way forward with new and original products.

Bullshit. Its about money. I don't care how delicately the driving experience is simulated in this new game. The genre has been done to death. Move on. Cash-full teams like Polyphony should be showing the way forward with new and original products.

there are plenty of software houses that are in the same boat as Polyphany. Why are you singling out Polyphany?

No, they should be making great software. They are making great software.

Just because you, personally don't like it, tough shit.