Gran Turismo 4

Landshead

Dunno if I'm going to get this. I liked GT3, but now with PGR2 I'm not really sure GT4 will add a lot to the experience; maybe more cars and more tracks, but it can't compete with the Live stuff anyway. Unless the online-functionality is so good it'll finally tempt me to put my PS2 online...

If my memory serves me correctly GT3 was never supposed to be GT3, it was supposed to be GT2000 a graphical update of the GT franchise and not a true sequel.

it was renamed GT3 for obvious promotional purposes.

knowing this and the fact that it came out relatively early in PS2's lifespan I cut it some slack and was happy with a prettier GT game.

GT4 however wil get no such slack. It had better be a thorough and complete improvent of the franchise with real improvements over and above the graphical ones.

That wheel though <_<

I played GT4 Prologue and was very disappointed. There seems to be very little difference since GT3 and quite frankly, the Rally levels are not exactly that inspiring despite the visuals.

Also, the AI AGAIN is awful - why??! It is the biggest criticism of the series yet nothing ever seems to be done.

Oh well. I am still looking forward to seeing GT4 but I am not holding my breath for anything ground breaking.

Sports Interactive have only ever made one game lots of times, that's worse than Polyphony (although they are bringing out EHM:FE later). Let's point the finger at them too...

I say if a developer is good at something, and enjoys what it does, let them. Better that than if Polyphony kept churning out crap racing games.

As for the bikes, I'd rather they were in the same game as GT. I'd not buy a bike game, but the lure of owning both a Dodge Viper and a lovely bike (I know little of bikes) at once is quite a large one.

Dunno if I'm going to get this. I liked GT3, but now with PGR2 I'm not really sure GT4 will add a lot to the experience; maybe more cars and more tracks, but it can't compete with the Live stuff anyway. Unless the online-functionality is so good it'll finally tempt me to put my PS2 online...

But......for the on-line game to be as good as PGR2, you need to have a headset and be able to talk to people (well...okay...swear and scream at them).

It's not just the racing, it's about the fun you can have shouting at people and having a good crack on in the lobby afterwards.

Imagine a group of petrolheads all racing in GT4..

In complete silence..

No boasting or bragging..

no..

Does the new wheel have a slot for your headset? (sorry...don't know how the PS2 headset attaches).

And let's hope they get the on-line review correct this time..

Sorry breaksmith...only kidding <_<

I played GT4 Prologue and was very disappointed. There seems to be very little difference since GT3 and quite frankly, the Rally levels are not exactly that inspiring despite the visuals.

Also, the AI AGAIN is awful - why??! It is the biggest criticism of the series yet nothing ever seems to be done.

Oh well. I am still looking forward to seeing GT4 but I am not holding my breath for anything ground breaking.

Precisely. I'm not saying this will be a crap game, but the innovation is wearing thin and the new ideas are not coming forth. I'll let them off if *all* the tracks are new, but somehow I suspect I'm goin to be dissapointed.

Prologue already almost rocks.

The biggest problem is - when you're stepping back from PGR2, the lack of triggers makes control somewhat less satisfying, no matter how good the handling model is.

One for the steering wheel heads for sure.

true.

i got Prologue at the beginning of this week. and despite the fact that you can breeze through the driving school in a day and it only has 5 tracks, i am still playing it and more importantly enjoying it.

tearing through Citta de Aria in a souped-up VW Lupo is great fun and i have to admit a more satisfying gaming experience than dodging cones in PGR. so you could say i am looking forward to the full release - if only to be able to bomb through Citta in some sort of Fiat/Eurobox, pretending to be Robert DeNiro in 'Ronin'.

You still never answered my question. Why are you singling out Polyphony?

Probably because this thread is about GT4 - were it about anything else, I'm sure Capcom, Konami and Core (at least) would be up for some milk-me-do-without-fixing-the-old-flaw-o-las <_<

No, but talented studios like Polyphony are wasted on being Sony's whores.

<_<

Something you might not have noticed: Polyphony Digital are a developer of driving games. They hire people who are interested in and knowledgeable about cars and simulation, with the intent of working on driving games. They plough millions of pounds into research that can only be applied to driving games. The GT series sells millions of copies and unless you were labouring under the misconception that there aren't going to be any more consoles in the future, they will continue to do so for some time.

<_<

Something you might not have noticed: Polyphony Digital are a developer of driving games. They hire people who are interested in and knowledgeable about cars and simulation, with the intent of working on driving games. They plough millions of pounds into research that can only be applied to driving games. The GT series sells millions of copies and unless you were labouring under the misconception that there aren't going to be any more consoles in the future, they will continue to do so for some time.

Indeed. Poor Neversoft, they only get to do skateboarding games! Poor Naughty Dog, they only do platformers! If you like cars and you like games, few things could be more rewarding than working on the best driving series of all time I suppose.

I'm not slagging anyone off, its just an observation. Polyphony have made other types of games before, so they are not 'just a driving game company'. The research into physics and modelling I'm sure could be utilised in other fields of electronic entertainment. I just fail to see how so many of you can get excited by yet another car racing game, especially one which has become so stubbornly stuck in its ways as the GT series.

I'm not slagging anyone off, its just an observation.  Polyphony have made other types of games before, so they are not 'just a driving game company'.  The research into physics and modelling I'm sure could be utilised in other fields of electronic entertainment.  I just fail to see how so many of you can get excited by yet another car racing game, especially one which has become so stubbornly stuck in its ways as the GT series.

Because its fun to play and i like fast cars.

I have never seen any other thread where you have slagged off anyone else bcass. Why start now?

Look, have you got a hard on for Polyphony or something?

This whole thread is about GT4. Who are the developers? Polyphony. So it makes sense to moan about the fact that rather than try something else they've gone and done another driving sim. I'm sure it'll be fun and everything. Some of us would just like to see how they can push the PS2 with another genre, that's all.

But if it's driving sims they want to do then fair enough, that's their perogative. It would just be cool to see what else they could do.

Because its fun to play and i like fast cars.

Play GT3 then. <_<

Of course I'm just assuming that GT4 is going to be GT3 with more cars and tracks. I'll be a happy man if it does anything different, but I doubt it. Shit, we have a go at EA for churning out sequel after sequel without adding anything new (just better graphics and more teams) yet nothing is said about the others who churn out the same thing over and over again.

<_<

Indeed. Poor Neversoft, they only get to do skateboarding games! Poor Naughty Dog, they only do platformers! If you like cars and you like games, few things could be more rewarding than working on the best driving series of all time I suppose.

Yes but wouldn't you get bored with the fact that you've done the same thing as last time, but just added more cars and tracks, and in you can see the same thing happening over and over again in your future?

Wouldn't you want to see what other directions you could take the technology or even car games in general. They don't have to do straight sims all the time right?

Play GT3 then. <_<

Of course I'm just assuming that GT4 is going to be GT3 with more cars and tracks. I'll be a happy man if it does anything different, but I doubt it. Shit, we have a go at EA for churning out sequel after sequel without adding anything new (just better graphics and more teams) yet nothing is said about the others who churn out the same thing over and over again.

Doesn't GT4 feature Formula 1 cars? That's a pretty big inclusion. Not to mention online play. I think this sequel is justified - I mean, if EA can get away with less, why moan about Polyphony doing what they do best?

Wouldn't you want to see what other directions you could take the technology or even car games in general. They don't have to do straight sims all the time right?

Depends on what kind of games you like. As a gamer, I prefer to play many different types of driving games (like Burnout 2, MotoGP, PGR2 or GT3). As a developer I would prefer to make the best product I can, and if I was working on such a huge brand as Gran Turismo, I would be pretty darn proud of it I think. And sure, doing something else would be fun, but who says they won't? And you can always quit and join Naughty Dog if you want to make platformgames afterwards. I bet with the GT-series on your resume, you'd be welcome at a lot of studio's.

I believe for a lot of these kinda developers its partly making the game what it should've been. Time goes past and you learn to make these improvements, so they do. And generally make more money from it as it has the franchise name

Play GT3 then.  <_<

Of course I'm just assuming that GT4 is going to be GT3 with more cars and tracks.  I'll be a happy man if it does anything different, but I doubt it.  Shit, we have a go at EA for churning out sequel after sequel without adding anything new (just better graphics and more teams) yet nothing is said about the others who churn out the same thing over and over again.

Doesn't GT4 feature Formula 1 cars? That's a pretty big inclusion. Not to mention online play. I think this sequel is justified - I mean, if EA can get away with less, why moan about Polyphony doing what they do best?

Done in GT3 I believe.

Shit, we have a go at EA for churning out sequel after sequel without adding anything new (just better graphics and more teams) yet nothing is said about the others who churn out the same thing over and over again.

Maybe because Sony don't release a new Gran Turismo every year? <_< Who cares if it's a sequel, surely the quality of the game is more important? Some of you have been reading too much Edge. Get off your high horses and realise that just because you're bored of the franchise, others would love more.

Look, have you got a hard on for Polyphony or something?

This whole thread is about GT4.  Who are the developers?  Polyphony.  So it makes sense to moan about the fact that rather than try something else they've gone and done another driving sim.  I'm sure it'll be fun and everything.  Some of us would just like to see how they can push the PS2 with another genre, that's all.

But if it's driving sims they want to do then fair enough, that's their perogative.  It would just be cool to see what else they could do.

Hard on? Yes i do when it comes to Polyphony. They know thier stuff when it comes to cars. They spend 10000's of hours just getting the sound right for the engines. They put in a hell of alot of work in their GT games. They enjoy making racing games, some people just dont understand that.

i wouldn't mind playing this but i'm not going to fork over extra cash (£100?) for a wheel and i'm not playing a racing game without triggers for acceleration.

GT2 was a big improvement over GT1. GT3 just added shinier cars (something the PS2 massive seem to love) and GT4 doesn't look like it will add much more.