rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Baggers69

Noob to the forum

Jim how hard was it to code on (or code for) the ZX81?

Have always wanted to know, what's it like working with Charlie Robson?

Thanks!

Just so I understand the zx81 dragons lair thing cos I'm fascinated...

The video is encoded to playback at zx81 resolution and colours obviously... And it plays back using some sd card zx81 interface jiggery pokery...

Does the standard z80 do the displaying AND process the gameplay inputs etc (such as they are)

So apart from the sd card storing the video stream is the rest a standard zx81 or is there any extra processor stuff?

I only ask as I struggled to make a space shooty game run at a decent speed let alone dragons lair (ok I coded in basic obviously)

(Oh and welcome :-) )

Yeah, the Z80 did most of the work, the display handling, and gameplay inputs, and the reading in of data, and requesting of sectors, the ZXpand's PIC chip does the handling of filename to sector searches, and sector fetches.

It's no wonder some of you lot can't spot the ringers when someone blindingly genuine shows up.

Welcome, Jim, anyone who can conceive of such an outlandishly fantastic idea, (below), and then actually produce it is ok with me.

https://youtu.be/xF1Ne9qBmSo

/geek

Cheers Gregory, glad you like it, have you played it yet?

Welcome new friend!

Hope you stay with us but you shall not be judged unfairly if you break in a month. The smiley guy, Matty P, he's the latest new one right?

Cheers :D lol

So when we introduce baggers69 to jpickford we're gona have to do it slowly, put one in a room the other one's been in, let them sniff each other under the door for a few days.

• Upvote 7

Rage, ha! I was having a clear out of the garage yesterday and found hostile waters. Couldn't bear to throw that out. Slightly post-Joust-on-GB era that though.

• Upvote 2

Baggers did you go to the Retro Computer Museum event at the discovery centre recently and if so what was it like, anything particularly memorable, even behind the scenes?

Meat, I couldn't make it to the Easter meet at the Discovery Centre :( but I do know that when I go to see R.C.M. it's always a great time, and great people there! :D and I really must take the time to stop talking to people and play that VR machine lol, although I'll probably have to wait until Play Manchester now lol.

• Upvote 1

Baggers did you go to the Retro Computer Museum event at the discovery centre recently and if so what was it like, anything particularly memorable, even behind the scenes?

Jeff Minter sobbing into a yak hair hankerchief.

• Upvote 1

P.s. That yellow comp pro joystick with the clicky buttons is still the best 8way game controller ever made.

Competition Pro? Heathen. They had round buttons, and usually red as I recall. No, that there is a Zipstick, and absolutely the best 8 way controller ever made. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat if it was 1) made by the original folks, or at least as tough as they were originally made, and 2) could be hooked up via USB or something.
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, the Z80 did most of the work, the display handling, and gameplay inputs, and the reading in of data, and requesting of sectors, the ZXpand's PIC chip does the handling of filename to sector searches, and sector fetches.

Cheers Gregory, glad you like it, have you played it yet?

I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet but will add it to my 'must do' list. Pac-Man and Manic Miner were such an iconic part of my life in the early eighties that a combination of the two just appeals in a way I really can't explain. Maybe that's why you made it?

I reckon we should organise a meet the morning after the general election. Maybe Ed Milliband could join us. JPickford could make us a bacon sandwich breakfast of champions.