IGNORED

Lego Dimensions - RIP

Vemsie

So when you buy a character pack, like say the scooby doo one. Do you unlock a whole level with objectives etc to playthrough or just a themed sandbox'y type area to play around in.

I'd be much more inclined to grab this if it's the former.

I wonder how it's selling? I've just noticed in the later Kmart catalogue the starter pack (with the figures, the portal etc) is down from $175 to $99.

That's a hell of a discount for something that I don't think is a month old.

So when you buy a character pack, like say the scooby doo one. Do you unlock a whole level with objectives etc to playthrough or just a themed sandbox'y type area to play around in.

I'd be much more inclined to grab this if it's the former.

The 'Level Packs' (about £30 each) allow access to a small extra story campaign based on that franchise, as well as granting access to an 'Adventure World' which is a sandbox environment also based on that franchise. The character/vehicle from that pack can also be used at any point in the main game or the other worlds simply by placing them on the Portal Base while playing. Indeed, this is the only way you'll be able to access areas locked of by obstacles that only that character/vehicle (or one with the same ability) can pass, of which there seem to be quite a number.

The 'Team' (around £25) & 'Fun' (around £15) Packs however, don't give you access to that Story Campaign. These contain 4 (Team) or 2 (Fun) characters/vehicles that allow access to the associated Adventure Worlds & make that character/vehicle useable in the main game.

The Scooby Doo Team Pack is quite devious in that regard as Scooby (and the Mystery Machine) appear to have a number of unique & useful abilities that are needed at multiple points throughout the rest of the game.

I have a feeling that the reliance on the Toys to Life aspect will end up hurting this game. It's a solid entry in the Lego series with lots of great moments & tonnes of fun to be had with the mixing up of characters/worlds/gadgets, but needing to have the Portal Base & the figures adds expense & complication that I think will keep a lot of players away.

I suppose it's possible that value could be added if they add extra DLC for each figure/pack (maybe an actual Scooby Doo adventure?) but IMO they'll save that for Lego Dimensions 2, if there is one.

Just started playing it today and although I'm obviously biased (as I worked on it, but not in a gameplay capacity so it's mostly fresh to me), I'm really enjoying it. Whizzed through 5 and a half levels without stopping. Just trying to save up that first million so I can buy the x2 multiplier red brick.

Did you do the script again? What was it like to work with all the IPs?

How did you deal with getting the characterisation of each of the major franchise's characters right? Did you have to, say, rewatch all the LotR films? Were there any trade-offs you had to make in terms of the things you wanted characters to do or say? (I understand you can't give specifics, but I remember finding it funny hearing how the creators of Wreck It Ralph had to go between each company to reach consensus on which of their baddies would be the biggest/tallest etc).

Sorry for all the questions... These things really fascinate me.

Thought the Dr had a hand in the script for this. Is very funny and makes me want a dork batman game in the same vain. What I love the most though is the mixing of ips, having homer in back to the future and then having a portal reference all at once is great and something in sad Disney will never do.

For stuff I wasn't so familiar with I watched everything I could (or read stuff on the internet) but there were a buncha' properties I was intimately familiar with where I'd been wanting to write for them all my life (I'm looking at you in particular, Dr Who). Luckily, because the cast was generally the people who knew the characters the best because they were the real deal, they'd tweak the lines in the sessions to get them as close to on-character as possible, which was a massive help.

The game just had an update (v1.03) & as well as a load of bug fixes (apparently the game crashes quite a lot) a feature called "Hire-a-Hero" has been added.

Apparently, the way this works is that when you come across something that's only accessible by a certain ability, the Hint Block that appears can now offer you the option to 'Hire' a character with that ability so you can unlock/access whatever it is. You use in-game currency (studs) for this & the hire period is very short, the feature is also only for characters that are in wave 1, though other waves will be added to this feature when they're released.

IMO this is a good move on their part, as you no longer need to buy characters you don't want, & it goes a long way towards fixing my issues with the game.

It's all still reduced here. In fact I don't think I've seen it at full price except for EB. I think they flooded the market with so many sets, they'd have been better going with 5-6.

I'd say they've had some backlash too from people annoyed they'd need to purchase every character to see everything. (rightly annoyed I'd say)

Well apparently I'm getting this and the BTTF/GB sets for xmas. Can't say I'm surprised with it having a bumpy launch, the base pack should've had an RRP no higher than £69.99 and reduced closer to £50 in the run-up to xmas.

Has anyone played the GB and BTTF packs. Are they any good?

The Ghostbusters Pack isn't out yet, & the Back to the Future Pack is a condensed retelling of the plot of the first film & is quite short. The BTTF Adventure World has 3 different versions (Hill Valley Past, Present & Future) that you travel between using the Delorean (only on special pads though) & offers quite a bit more gameplay & quests, but by all accounts the Portal Level Pack is the best of the bunch.

I'm going to get this. It's all my favourite franchises mashed up together in the Lego game format (which I always enjoy) & this latest announcement of the ability to use in-game currency to unlock parts of the game tipped the scales. Surely in time, they'll also be something similar for the Adventure Worlds, so you can see everything without having to buy everything.

Might get the base pack and an expansion each for my neice/nephew for xmas.

Is the gameplay suitible for a 6 year old? Skill-wise won't be a problem (he's scarily good as Mario Galaxy 2) but he's awful at taking direction (seriously, he's like a dog, you point at something and he'll look at your finger) so figuring out what to actually do might be a stretch.

edit: presumably the basic gameplay is pretty similar to the Marvel Super Heros game, I think he might have that already.

Also, are there any issues with the Wii U version?

Also, is it a dick move on my sister to get a game that will pimp expensive addons to the kids? I don't mind buying more of them later but she might.